Other Talk "Otterville"

Man Arrested For Being Army Deserter Was Never In The Army

Old 07-28-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man Arrested For Being Army Deserter Was Never In The Army

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/51747592.html

By Ray Lane

SEATTLE - A local man returning from a trip to Central America was dumbfounded when military officials had him arrested for being a deserter - even though he was never in the military.

"To one day just be arrested, and like - here you go, you're detained, and not have any idea why ..." says Chris Parks of Seattle, his voice trailing off.

For Parks, 27, the incredible headache began a few weeks ago as he and some friends were coming back to the United States after a trip to Mexico and Central America.

As he went through customs at the Charlotte airport in North Carolina, his name caught the attention of Homeland Security personnel.

Parks' name was flagged as being a deserter from the military.

"I've been in the Army for 10 years, and didn't even know it," he says. "Just seems kind of odd."

He was tossed into the county jail in Charlotte and locked up for one week. When told he was a fugitive, he was floored.

Parks was then ordered to report to Fort Knox in Kentucky - where he sat and waited and waited some more with actual military deserters.

His head was shaved, he was issued fatigues. He was afraid he would be court-martialed.

"I was at Fort Knox for one week - and I almost didn't get out," says Parks.

Parks says when he was 18, he nearly joined the Army. But at the last minute, he backed out.

Apparently, that message never got through military's system.

"How paperwork could have gotten messed up enough to say that I was actually in the military and made it there - and it actually says that I was in there for two years before they finally figured out that I wasn't - and started counting me as a deserter," says Parks.

Army records showed that Parks had gone through basic training in South Carolina, then went AWOL from a base in Georgia.

He insists that never happened, and wonders if his military recruiter from 10 years ago hung him out to dry by never processing his paperwork to "de-enlist."

Says Parks: "I think it's probably something they don't want a lot of people to know about. And I don't really blame them."

Parks says he now carries documents to prove to authorities he's not a deserter. But he still hasn't received a full explanation from the Army about how this all happened.

He says being detained cost him about $1,500 - plus lost time at work.
Wow, I don't even know what to say here. This is pretty fucked up. Having to sit in jail for a week is horrible, especially if you didn't do anything wrong. Plus, they shaved his head, and I'm sure the cops didn't treat him well, since a lot of them are ex-military, and they assumed he was a deserter. I would imagine that he will sue the shit out of of Army, I know I would. He deserves whatever he can get out of them.
Old 07-28-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Man Arrested For Being Army Deserter Was Never In The Army

Something isn't right here. It looks like he enlisted but then changed his mind and expected his recruiter to "de-enlist" him and it doesn't work like that. My guess is he had an entrance date and he just decided not to show up. That is desertion..

I'm sure there's an Army side of this story... I'll wait for that before assuming he's as innocent as he proclaims.
Old 07-28-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a pussy.
Old 07-28-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
My guess is he had an entrance date and he just decided not to show up. That is desertion.
And yet the military has given him documents that say he isn't a deserter and then let him go.
Old 07-28-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

perplexing
Old 07-28-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The title is a little misleading. Should say "Man pussies out of the Army later get's arrested for desertion." It would be different if he had no prior contact with the Army and then gets arrested.
Old 07-28-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously. He should be thankful he's lived a good 10 years with the chance to vacation in Central America instead of getting shipped off to some hell hole in the Middle East. "You're going to arrest me after 10 years? Thank you, sir. Very good, sir. I've appreciated my freedom, sir. Thank you for the free haircut, sir."

No respect.
Old 07-28-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 139 Posts

Now THAT's some serious desertion!
Old 07-28-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dieinafire View Post

Wow, I don't even know what to say here. This is pretty fucked up. Having to sit in jail for a week is horrible, especially if you didn't do anything wrong. Plus, they shaved his head, and I'm sure the cops didn't treat him well, since a lot of them are ex-military, and they assumed he was a deserter. I would imagine that he will sue the shit out of of Army, I know I would. He deserves whatever he can get out of them.
$1,500
Old 07-28-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

But....he deserted the deserters.
Old 07-28-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
$1,500
+lost time work, for actual $$$ lost.
Old 07-28-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
What a pussy.

If I ever met him I'd choke him out in 30 seconds.
Old 07-28-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
What a pussy.
A freshly shaved one.
Old 07-28-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Something isn't right here. It looks like he enlisted but then changed his mind and expected his recruiter to "de-enlist" him and it doesn't work like that. My guess is he had an entrance date and he just decided not to show up. That is desertion..

I'm sure there's an Army side of this story... I'll wait for that before assuming he's as innocent as he proclaims.

At the recruiters you sign papers to report to MEPS. Until the time you go through MEPS, sign the contract (Which they make you read and ask if you understand or have any questions) and swear the oath (Where the swearing in officer will ask one more time if you want to back out, do it now and there will be no repercussions), you are not officially in the Armed Forces.
Old 07-28-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I want to hear the Army's side of things I've heard some pretty bad things about recruiting tactics, "promises", and the like since enrollment is down. I wouldn't want to be a recruiters, as I've heard there is a lot of pressure.
Old 07-28-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
At the recruiters you sign papers to report to MEPS. Until the time you go through MEPS, sign the contract (Which they make you read and ask if you understand or have any questions) and swear the oath (Where the swearing in officer will ask one more time if you want to back out, do it now and there will be no repercussions), you are not officially in the Armed Forces.
Exactly. In my case I went through MEPS and then I had a good 3 months before assignment to BMT (This counted against my inactive-reserve time). I don't think I could have just called my recruiter and said "Nah. De-Enlist me" during that 3 months and chosen not to report to BMT when it was my time.

Since he said he backed out "at the last minute" I took that to assume it was after MEPS (Swearing in) and his official first day of Active Duty. Otherwise what "De-Enlist" paperwork would have have needed? He would have never sworn in.

But who knows
Old 07-28-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Well ... I was unconditionally discharged ... I was recruited into the Army Reserve during my junior year of high school. And it was one of the biggest [email protected]#$s of my life. My recruiter sold me on the concept of ROTC and split training (I would go to basic after I graduated high school, return to college in the fall, then go to AIT the following summer).

I went to my college to visit the "director" of the ROTC program who asked me "Why are you here, son?" Thinking this was a standard question, I began to give my reasons. He interrupted and said, "No, I mean are you [i]here[/]? Our program has been shut down and won't be around next year." My recruiter knew this when he recruited me; it was not a surprise decision.

Nonetheless, I plunged forward with my decision. Until 4 days before I was to leave for basic ... at weekend the drill the CO met with each one of us and reviewed our plans. According to his paperwork, mine did not include split training ... I'll admit part of the reason I joined was for college money. Along the way I had managed to fully fund my first few years without the Army, and I would lose that if I was not in class in the fall. I explained to him that "no split" was not an option. He told me to call my recruiter.

7AM the next morning I am at the recruiter's doorstep (with my mom who had to sign off on my enlistment/comittment since I was under 18 at the time). Of course, the guy who put me in had been shuffled to a new assignment ... the new recruiter looked at everything and said "You got f#[email protected] I don't know if it was deliberate or just sloppy stupidity. We have two options ... we can de-enlist you and re-do it correctly, which will push everything back a year ... or we can de-enlist you with no repercussion and you can chalk it up as a learning experience."

At that point I was so pissed off and fed up I told him to get me out and forget it. Looking back, I wish I would have had gone back to have the experience, but at the time it had left a very sour taste in my mouth. I had taken the ASVAB (97), been through MEPS, and taken the oath. Hell, I'd been to several weekend drills and collected checks. And now, I technically never existed ... at least until I leave the country!
Old 07-28-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
And now, I technically never existed ... at least until I leave the country!
I hope you kept the proper documentation.

btw, this is a good reason to get everything in writing...

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 07-28-09 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dieinafire View Post

And here we thought the authorities were good at doing their job.
Old 07-29-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the ASVAB in high school as well. Got 99% score. Needless to say, all the recruiters came calling. I eventually decided to go into the Marines, mostly for the enlistment bonus, and the electronics MOS that highly interested me. So I went down to Fort Douglas Mepcom, and went through all the MEPS physicals. During the last test, the doctor told me to "get down and walk like a duck". I had no clue what he wanted me to do. I told him I did not understand what he wanted me to do. Again he ordered, "get down, and walk like a duck!!" I stood there, confused as all get out, no idea what he wanted me to do. How exactly does a man walk like a duck? Do I squat down, and wobble back and forth? Do I make like Disco Duck and get funky? Finally the doctor muttered something to himself and told me to get dressed. I looked at the form the discharge nurse gave me, it read "unable to follow orders - unable to perform basic orthopaedic maneuvers; unfit for service". And all that because I had no idea how to get down, and walk like a duck. Semper Fi? Not me, sir. Not me.
Old 07-29-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it’s worth, I think his crewcut looks better than his old haircut:

And I never joined the military. Back in the ‘80s nothing was happening in the military (no oversees engagements). When people graduated from high school, the options were to (a) go to college; (b) go to the coal mines for a job; (c) join the military and learn a trade; or (d) work on the family farm.

Of course, since then the coal mines have for the most part shut down.
Old 07-29-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post

This is wrong. The swearing in at MEPS doesn't mean squat. They do that so the potential recruits THINK they are committed. It isn't until they do the paperwork and swearing in at bootcamp that they are actually IN the military.
Old 07-29-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

SEATTLE - A local man returning from a trip to Central America was dumbfounded when military officials had him arrested for being a deserter - even though he was never in the military.
Army records showed that Parks had gone through basic training in South Carolina, then went AWOL from a base in Georgia.
Typical bogus "news" story. I'll pay attention when there are actually some facts presented and both sides explain. Until then, the tabloid fodder is just that.
Old 07-29-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
I took the ASVAB in high school as well. Got 99% score. Needless to say, all the recruiters came calling. I eventually decided to go into the Marines, mostly for the enlistment bonus, and the electronics MOS that highly interested me. So I went down to Fort Douglas Mepcom, and went through all the MEPS physicals. During the last test, the doctor told me to "get down and walk like a duck". I had no clue what he wanted me to do. I told him I did not understand what he wanted me to do. Again he ordered, "get down, and walk like a duck!!" I stood there, confused as all get out, no idea what he wanted me to do. How exactly does a man walk like a duck? Do I squat down, and wobble back and forth? Do I make like Disco Duck and get funky? Finally the doctor muttered something to himself and told me to get dressed. I looked at the form the discharge nurse gave me, it read "unable to follow orders - unable to perform basic orthopaedic maneuvers; unfit for service". And all that because I had no idea how to get down, and walk like a duck. Semper Fi? Not me, sir. Not me.
You're fucking kidding right?
Old 07-29-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Typical bogus "news" story. I'll pay attention when there are actually some facts presented and both sides explain. Until then, the tabloid fodder is just that.
Apparently the Army believed the story.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.