Digital Cameras- Which One to Choose

Other Talk "Otterville"

Digital Cameras- Which One to Choose

Old 06-20-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 701 Likes on 507 Posts
Re: Digital Cameras- Which One to Choose

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I've printed 8x10s with a 3MP camera and they look beautiful. I really wish that people would stop using MP count to judge a camera.
Exactly. With the FZ28, I've set the MP to 5. It's sort of a trick to extend the zoom beyond 18x.

Here is an example. I took these just to play with the zoom, so don't pay attention to composition.
Old 06-20-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a Fuji Finepix A850 refurb (8.1 MP 3x Optical) for $50 from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830122207

I'm liking it a lot so far, I have a Canon DSLR, so this is just for quick trips and the like. The image quality has been great, thought the Auto mode indoors wasn't very good and needed to be changed. It does movies as well.

Judging by the reviews on Newegg, since it is a refurb you might get sent a bad one, but I'm wondering if some people just put the batteries in wrong, the Negative/Positive symbols are a little oddly placed.
Old 06-20-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
My wife got a Canon XSi a year or so ago and loves it. Unfortunately a new T1i just came out recently and now she wants to dump the XSi.
wanna make a deal?
Old 06-21-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Well, I also make my own calendars and am interested in using it to shoot video. My current 4.1 MP camera SUCKS in the video quality, and my prints for my calendars are adequate at best. So I was interested in the 10 mp for those reasons.
What make/model camera is that? The root cause of those issues are probably not the pixel-count but quality of the optics, image processor, or image sensor.
Old 06-21-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
If the OP doesn't want advice I could use some. I am looking to upgrade from my old HP M407. I see some nice 10 mp cameras on the market for relatively fair prices. But I am oscillating between these two:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290 12 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization

Canon PowerShot SD890IS 10MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

Basically I just want point and shoot, and something that's easy for me to change settings from indoor to outdoor shots. Image stabilization is important to me and one that records videos is a plus. I don't see where that Canon camera shoots video, though...unless I am missing something.
I like the Canon Powershots.... on my third one (due to 'accidents') Had the 630 (was great for it's time) and 750 (was ok but had a lot of lag in low light)... was deciding between the 960IS and the 880IS (which is getting hard to find since out of production)... got a lot of info from http://www.dpreview.com .. The 890IS was under consideration for a bit, but there were some mixed reviews on picture quality, but it is also cheaper than the 960IS and 880IS. I ended up going with a 880IS for ~$300 on Amazon and so far am happy with it... the picture quality was rated higher than the newer models, but the $100 difference may make the 890IS a better option for price and the 960IS is somewhere in between (adding HD video, but mixed reactions to it).

Problem with Canons is sorting out what the actual differences are between models.
Old 06-22-09, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Well, I ended up getting a Cannon Powershot SD780 IS.
This thing is really small, credit card size,
I never have had a camera this small.
It feels wierd, but i'll get used to it.
12 Megapixels. Can also shoot video, but I doubt if i'll use that feature.
Price $250 Also can use this on a HDTV.
Thank you for all of your input.
Seems like a nice ultra-compact camera! Glad you were able to make a decision so quickly. However, I thought you had wanted manual control of shutter/aperture? Anyway, hope the camera serves you well! I really do like the Canon SD series.
Old 06-22-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else interested in the Olympus E-P1?
I can't wait to get my hands on one.

It's about the size of a Canon G10 but with interchangable lenses and a nice big sensor.