Reload this Page >

Any electricians in the house?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 05-12-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO, I got a new light fixture. I've hooke them up before but this one is a little different.

Instead of wires that twist together with wires in the ceiling, this has a round piece with holes into which the wires should be inserted. Each hole is marked for the wire.

Out of my ceiling, instead of 1 each black, red, & white, there are 2 black wires together (doesn't look hand twisted) and 2 white wires. The twisted ends are much too big to go into the holes.

Since there is only 1 red wire, I tried to put that into a hole, but you can see there is a lot of wire exposed. It doesn't catch in there either.

1) Do I attempt to untwist the black wires and the white wires and only use one of each?

2) Do I hold the wires in the holes and tape them until they can't move?

Ths instructions are less than helpful. I'm tempted to bring the whole fixture back to the store, since we DIDN'T NEED A NEW ONE ANYWAY, MAUREEN!

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-12-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Any electricians in the house?

Just go ahead and set your house on fire and be done with it.
Old 05-12-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So, how was it wired before.

The circuit formed by the two black wires and two white wires appears to continue on to somewhere else. Where does the red wire go to? Is it in a piece of Romex with a black wire and a white wire.

Is the light fixture controlled by 2 (or more switches)? Or are there two things wired into the box, like a ceiling fan and a light, separately controlled? I'm having trouble guessing where the wires are run and for what purpose..

Do not separate the two blacks and the two whites. If you need to connect to either (which I'm not sure of yet) you will need to connect a short pigtail into the wirenut, and connect the other end to your new light fixture.

If the light fixture is controlled by 2 switches, you probably need to connect to the red wire (hot) and the white wire (neutral), but i'm guessing.
Old 05-12-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
SO, I got a new light fixture. I've hooke them up before but this one is a little different.

Instead of wires that twist together with wires in the ceiling, this has a round piece with holes into which the wires should be inserted. Each hole is marked for the wire.

Out of my ceiling, instead of 1 each black, red, & white, there are 2 black wires together (doesn't look hand twisted) and 2 white wires. The twisted ends are much too big to go into the holes.

Since there is only 1 red wire, I tried to put that into a hole, but you can see there is a lot of wire exposed. It doesn't catch in there either.

1) Do I attempt to untwist the black wires and the white wires and only use one of each?

2) Do I hold the wires in the holes and tape them until they can't move?

Ths instructions are less than helpful. I'm tempted to bring the whole fixture back to the store, since we DIDN'T NEED A NEW ONE ANYWAY, MAUREEN!

Thanks for any advice.

Like Old dude daid we need more information. Was there a light fixture you took down? You didn't notice what wires it was hooked to? My guess is leave the black alone, and connect the RED to the light fixture. If there is too much red wire showing then you either did not push it in far enough or there was too much of the wire stripped. There is a stripped gauge on the side of the quick connector. Once you insert the wire they don't come out. So I would just cut the quick connect off and twist the wires by hand.

For the White wire on the fixture, just cut the quick connect off and twist it with the other 2 white wires.
Old 05-12-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes there was a fixture there before, that I put up. It has one black wire, which I twisted around the black pair and put one of those caps on. The fixture also had a white wire, which I twisted around the white pair and capped.
Old 05-12-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, so what you need to do know is run a short pigtail from the perspective wires to the new connector.

I would guess the red wire is a switched hot. Is this a light fixture, or ceiling fan?
Old 05-12-09, 06:52 PM

Does this switch control multiple lights? Maybe a switched outlet? I don't understand why there are 2 black wires already in the box.

But as someone already said, then just cut off the connector and wrap the wire around the 2 black wires.

Have you ever figured out what the red wire is for? Does the red wire go to the box where the switches are? Is it hooked up to another switch?
Old 05-12-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Does this switch control multiple lights? Maybe a switched outlet? I don't understand why there are 2 black wires already in the box.

But as someone already said, then just cut off the connector and wrap the wire around the 2 black wires.

Have you ever figured out what the red wire is for? Does the red wire go to the box where the switches are? Is it hooked up to another switch?
The black wires continue the circuit to someplace else. He said there was another black twisted with them from the last light.

The connector doesn't need to be cut off.

He needs to do this, except keeping the two blacks together (and the white).

Old 05-12-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that simple. That's 3 way wiring, therefore there's a chance that the white is hot.
Old 05-12-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where did you get 3 way wiring from?

He had black and white connected to the previous light.
Old 05-13-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He has a red wire.
Old 05-13-09, 01:30 AM

ya'll are making this hard. It looks to me like it was prewired for a ceiling fan. The red/blacks might be on a switch, or it might be hot all the time for a fan to be controlled by the pull string. We need to know if either of the wires is "hot" with the switch off. If the existing wire was hooked to the blacks and it worked off the switch, then we know it's not "hot" all the time so try the red. Why does this new light have a red? A normal light only has black, white and ground/green. Also, WTF kind of light did you buy? I've never seen that kind of connection on a light and I am an electrician. Did the light come with instructions? Is red maybe optional? You're getting me confused......
Old 05-13-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thing is, the white is taped, which usually means that it's hot.
Old 05-13-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
He has a red wire.
Red wire != 3-way switch.

It would be useful to have the OP come back and answer some questions, but one can only assume he was electrocuted.

He said he had white on white with the previous fixture, which leads to the assumption that that is the neutral.
Old 05-13-09, 09:37 AM

Red does not mean 3-way switch at the light... at the switch itself yes. He must have figured it out, lol
Old 05-13-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Red wire != 3-way switch.

It would be useful to have the OP come back and answer some questions, but one can only assume he was electrocuted.

He said he had white on white with the previous fixture, which leads to the assumption that that is the neutral.
I'm not saying a 3-way switch. I'm saying 3-way wiring. You know, 2-way to the 2-way switch, 3-way to the light, 2-way to another junction, like a receptacle. In this case white can be hot.
Old 05-13-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There no ceiling fan on the old or new fixture, just lights.

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to give it another try.

And then I'll just give up and return it, no sense being stubborn!
Old 05-13-09, 11:44 AM

You need to answer the previous questions... Why would you return it?

Cut the damn connector off and strip the wire and attach as it was before. Your other option is if you really don't want to cut it off. is get a short 14AWG wire and twist around the existing wires and then push it in the connector.

What room of the house is this? Does the switch control an outlet? or more then one light?