Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is it that, whenever I eat a lot, i tend to get hungry faster?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-22-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why is it that, whenever I eat a lot, i tend to get hungry faster? Yesterday, I only ate two dinner rolls with cheesefor breakfast, didn't feel hungry until lunch, so at around 1:15 PM yesterday, I ate a tv dinner:

Then, around 2:05 PM, i ate a cup of noodles:

Then, I ate a coupla girl scout cooties around 2:40 PM:

Then I ate a banana around 3:15 PM:

And for some reason by 5:30 PM i was already starved. Normally, i eat a little earlier for lunch, around 11:30 AM or so, and I eat a lot less, and don't get hungry till around 7 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 10:47 PM
Banned

Re: Why is it that, whenever I eat a lot, i tend to get hungry faster?

I could eat all of that in one sitting and still be hungry.
Old 04-22-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've noticed something similar...If I eat a large or heavy dinner later at night, I'm usually more hungry in the AM than if I ate less or earlier the night before. Doesnt' make sense.
Old 04-22-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What did you think of the Cafe Steamer, D.Pham? I had that same one-- thought it was ok. I've had a couple of others and they weren't as good.
Old 04-23-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, I think that's normal. I deal with it fairly regulary. Seems like during the week I'm fine - I usually just drink coffee, eat dinner, and maybe a snack or two. But on the weekend, if I indulge in a pizza or a big pile of nachos, it totally fucks up my schedule for a few days, till everything is out and I'm back to normal. I finally became aware of exactly how it works, and just remind myself of it if I think I'm going to do it. So I don't really do it anymore.
Old 04-23-09, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually skip breakfast at home because I'd rather sleep an extra 15-20 minutes, then I try to be cheap, because when I'm at work I get a free lunch around 3 pm. I get off at 8:30, and usually eat again around 10.

If I eat a little in the AM, I'm still hungry but not as much by 3. It seems if I actually eat an actual breakfast, by lunch I'm famished, and sometimes by 2 or so, I feel faint, and like I'm going to pass out or something.
Old 04-23-09, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything you ate, minus the banana, is processed foods, which are mostly sugar and other fillers. They won't last long. Try eating more protein, like tuna or some steak.
Old 04-23-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure it's all the simple carbs. I think I may be pre-diabetic due to how hard I crash from them, but I'm pretty sure carbohydrates generally make you hungrier. I have had a similar issue where after eating noodles or cookies (and even fruit) I'll be absolutely starving. Lately I've tried to shift my appetite toward slightly less carb-heavy stuff and it's working alright, an Egg McMuffin for breakfast (since it has the "real" egg on it) tends to keep me pretty full, something packed with fiber & protein is the best way to go for lunch or at least snacks.
Old 04-23-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the key triggers for hunger is the stomach itself.

Once you fill it to a degree, when the lining begins to 'shrink' back down it triggers hunger. If you eat more than you usually do this will hit you. Other things factor in on what triggers hunger, but this is a key factor. It would be the most likely explanation for your question.

This is a vicious cycle for people who are overweight who stretch their stomach with food, and then feel hungry as the stomach 'shrinks' back down, it becomes a cycle of eating more and more.
Old 04-23-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Everything you ate, minus the banana, is processed foods, which are mostly sugar and other fillers. They won't last long. Try eating more protein, like tuna or some steak.
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's all the simple carbs. I think I may be pre-diabetic due to how hard I crash from them, but I'm pretty sure carbohydrates generally make you hungrier. I have had a similar issue where after eating noodles or cookies (and even fruit) I'll be absolutely starving. Lately I've tried to shift my appetite toward slightly less carb-heavy stuff and it's working alright, an Egg McMuffin for breakfast (since it has the "real" egg on it) tends to keep me pretty full, something packed with fiber & protein is the best way to go for lunch or at least snacks.
Both of these are pretty much spot on...
Old 04-23-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
What did you think of the Cafe Steamer, D.Pham? I had that same one-- thought it was ok. I've had a couple of others and they weren't as good.
i bought the costco pack, they had 2 Chicken Margherita and 2 Grilled Chicken Marinara. The Marinara I didn't like. Margherita was decent. Only bought it because of the coupon, but it was still about $1.50 a pop, so probably won't buy again.
Old 04-23-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Essentially, what has already been stated within the thread is quite accurate. Eating more protein will help to "curb" hunger more than anything refined.

Also, the fact that you eat more in a small period of time is relevent. This increased your metabolism, which, in turn, burns what you have eaten at a quicker pace. This, obviously, increases the hunger level.
Old 04-23-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Usually for lunch at around 11:30 , I eat 2-3 cups of rice with a variety of meats and veggies, adn i have a banana around 3, and that keeps me filled till around dinner time. I only eat tv dinners and cup of noodles when ever i didn't have that much else to eat.

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
One of the key triggers for hunger is the stomach itself.

Once you fill it to a degree, when the lining begins to 'shrink' back down it triggers hunger. If you eat more than you usually do this will hit you. Other things factor in on what triggers hunger, but this is a key factor. It would be the most likely explanation for your question.

This is a vicious cycle for people who are overweight who stretch their stomach with food, and then feel hungry as the stomach 'shrinks' back down, it becomes a cycle of eating more and more.
interesting. that's so true. usually on weekends i'll eat a big breakfast, maybe 3-4x as much as i eat on weekdays and i'll be hungry in about 2-3 hours. on weekdays, i eat a small amount for breakfast and i'm not hungry till lunch.

other thing is if i extremely overeat like at a buffet for lunch, then i'll not be hungry till dinner. but then again, i'm so full it feels so heavy for hours.
Old 04-25-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

Also, the higher blood sugar causes the body to make more insulin. When your insulin is a bit high due to trying to deal with the higher blood sugar, your body then reads the high insulin levels and tries to balance this by asking you to eat more to raise the blood sugar....again. It's like your body is running in a circle.

As mentioned, proteins like eggs and meats tend not to raise blood sugars and Fiber raises them slowly over a longer period of time with less of a "sugar Spike"; all of which is preferred over the sudden high spike caused by simple sugars like candies and sugary cereals. Fiber also gives you a "Full" feeling from sheer bulk.