Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mom wants to harvest dead son's sperm.... ew!

Old 04-09-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mom wants to harvest dead son's sperm.... ew!

I thought I was done being surprised at the crazy sh*t people did...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30133582?GT1=43001

A Texas mother who tragically lost her 21-year-old son hopes that she will be able to raise her grandchildren after a judge granted her request to posthumously harvest sperm from his body.

“It would help to heal my heart somewhat,” Marissa Evans told TODAY’s Matt Lauer Thursday from Bedford, Texas, during an exclusive interview.

Evans’ son, Nikolas Colton Evans, died Sunday in an Austin hospital, two weeks after he was punched outside an Austin bar early in the morning of March 27. His heart was kept beating until Monday, when Evans gave permission to doctors to harvest his organs. But she also wanted to harvest his sperm.
Legal experts say that there have been cases where permission was granted to harvest sperm from others after their deaths, but none had involved a mother and her son. Evans was initially told by medical personnel they could not do it, and she went to court to get permission, which was granted Monday. A urologist performed the procedure Wednesday, but published reports say the viability of the sperm has not been confirmed.

“It really wasn’t difficult,” Evans said of her decision. “It was something that he’d talked about since he was a little boy. I always dreamed about watching my children have children of their own … What was difficult was actually losing my son and not being able to see him graduate from college and get married and have children the way other people have children. The whole process has been horrific; this had actually given me a bit of a bright light at the end of this devastating experience.”

Evans, who has one other son, age 22, told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper that Nikolas wanted to have three sons someday and had even picked out their names: Hunter, Tod and Van.

Remembering Nikolas
She described Nikolas as an athletic and quick-witted young man who loved to write and who was planning to go to film school.

“He was compassionate. He loved to help me with animal rescue; liked to write comedy skits,” Evans told Lauer. “He was very deep, very artsy — kind of an old soul, very worldly, loved to talk about politics with his friends and get into heated discussions about that.”

Lauer asked Evans if she had wrestled with the ethics of her decision.

“I have thoughts about it,” she said calmly. “Of course … his first choice would not be to have children like this. He would want to raise his children, but the bottom line is he can’t. Somebody took that opportunity away from him. As the mother to a son I knew so well, I feel he would have wanted me to do this.”

Nikolas hadn’t declared himself as an organ donor, but his mother authorized doctors to harvest his organs.

“I was able to donate his organs to help other people live. He would believe in this and want me to help him live on as well,” she said.

Evans was joined by Mark Mueller, the Los Angeles lawyer who successfully argued her petition. He said it wasn’t a complicated issue.

“There wasn’t anybody that objected to it. It was a fairly straightforward procedure,” Mueller told Lauer. “It was just a matter of proving some legal justification for the physicians to go forward without concern that they would be getting into some deep water. It’s not that complicated. It’s what the son would have wanted as far as we know, and what the mom wanted.”

Travis County Probate Judge Guy Herman ruled Monday in an emergency hearing requested by the mother, because of the urgency of collecting the sperm intact.

Court documents said the sperm had to be collected within 24 hours of Nikolas Evans’ being removed from life support unless the body was cooled to no more than 39.2 degrees.

Video
Mom: Son ‘would've wanted me’ to harvest sperm
April 9: A Texas judge allows distraught mother Marissa Evans to collect her 21-year-old son’s sperm after he was killed in an attack.

Today show
Herman ordered the county medical examiner's office to continue storing the body at the proper temperature until the sperm could be collected.

University of Texas law professor John Robertson, who specializes in bioethics, said state law gives parents control over a child's body for organ and tissue donations but its use for sperm “is very unclear … There are no strong precedents in favor of a parent being able to request post-mortem sperm retrieval,” he said.

No arrests have been made in the assault on Nikolas Evans. Investigators said Evans hit his head on the ground after he was punched during an argument with a group of men.

Published reports quote Marissa Evans as saying she will probably engage a surrogate to carry a baby, if one can be conceived. She intends to raise her grandchild herself.

Lauer asked her if she intends to begin the fertilization process sooner rather than later.

“Yes,” she said. “Definitely.”
Old 04-09-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mom wants to harvest dead son's sperm.... ew!

You have to admire her spunk.
Old 04-09-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Texas!

Thank god I moved out of that bass-awkward state!
Old 04-09-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's not creepy at all...

It's especially strange given that they don't mention the guy having a wife or girlfriend.
Old 04-09-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
You have to admire her spunk.
I'm guessing it wasn't hard at all.
Old 04-09-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps View Post
Yeah, that's not creepy at all...

It's especially strange given that they don't mention the guy having a wife or girlfriend.
Ditto, is the mom gonna birth her dead sons kids? Then She'll be the Mother and the Grandmother and therefore get to celebrate Mother's Day and Grandparent's Day! I see what she's doing, she's going for double gifts! Genius!
Old 04-09-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves View Post
Ditto, is the mom gonna birth her dead sons kids? Then She'll be the Mother and the Grandmother and therefore get to celebrate Mother's Day and Grandparent's Day! I see what she's doing, she's going for double gifts! Genius!
Right at the end it says she will "probably engage a surrogate to carry a baby". So I guess it's not quite as creepy as it could be? Oh who am I kidding, it's weird as hell either way.
Old 04-09-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves View Post
invitro incest?
Old 04-09-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
Right at the end it says she will "probably engage a surrogate to carry a baby". So I guess it's not quite as creepy as it could be?
I bet Octomom would do it. She seems to always be up for a good turkey bastin'.
Old 04-09-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What the fuck is wrong with people?
Old 04-09-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why we should ban science! W. was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thank goodness this woman has stepped up and gotten the sperm. What would this world be like without three dumbass kids named Hunter, Tod and Van Evans? A lot less fun, I can tell you.
Old 04-09-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where does it say that she wants the sperm to fertilize her eggs? She would probably use a donated egg and fertilize it with his sperm. Then use a surrogate to carry the baby. Other then the immense costs with all of this, whats wrong with it?
Old 04-09-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Where does it say that she wants the sperm to fertilize her eggs? She would probably use a donated egg and fertilize it with his sperm. Then use a surrogate to carry the baby. Other then the immense costs with all of this, whats wrong with it?
Yep, I thought that was her idea.
Old 04-09-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Other then the immense costs with all of this, whats wrong with it?
Harvesting your own grandchildren is natural??
Old 04-09-09, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
Yeah, the clumsy fish are a problem, but Austin is a nice place to live.
Old 04-09-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This makes me want to puke.
Old 04-09-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She's supposed the keep the spirit of her son in her heart.... not her vagina.
Old 04-09-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
Yea but you didn't upgrade by going to St. Louis
Old 04-09-09, 10:37 PM

Other then the immense costs with all of this, whats wrong with it?
The mother said:

"I always dreamed about watching my children have children of their own … What was difficult was actually losing my son and not being able to see him graduate from college and get married and have children the way other people have children."

Evans, who has one other son, age 22...
The son isn't having children the way other people usually have children. He's dead. She has another son who can give her grandchildren. Who's dream is being fulfilled here?

But I guess it's no big deal to grow up without a father.
Old 04-09-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This isn't as bad as Parents who save and eat their baby's placenta...
Old 04-10-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I don't get it. He didn't have a wife. Who's going to birth these kids?
Old 04-10-09, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cathepsin View Post
I bet Octomom would do it. She seems to always be up for a good turkey bastin'.
Old 04-10-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a child, so I give parents of dead kids a 6 month window to do whatever they want as long as it's legal. I have the feeling that she'll come to her senses and back out of it. If she does go through with it, I hope she doesn't regret her decision a few years from now, because once the kid is born you're stuck with it. Well not really stuck with it I guess... you always have options.... like adoption or dumpsters.
Old 04-10-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to chalk this up to grief as well. Also, I am going to give her some credit because she donated his organs. FWIW, they mentioned on the news that the chances of any of his swimmers actually having survived were pretty slim.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.