Reload this Page >

Neighbors like their subwoofer...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 08-23-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in a townhome, have had new neighbors for four months now... nice couple, no kids. (thank God) But they do like their subwoofer... After their first few wks I asked if he could turn it down, and he just moved it to the other side of the room... I could still here it on occasion but nothing worth complaining over. Well, it appears they moved it back yesterday as I woke up to some nice thumping, techno throughout my house this morning.

Our development is supposed to get a homeowner's association at any time... are noise issues between neighbors something they would even deal with or am I on my own here?
Old 08-23-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Homeowner's association or not, can't you just call the cops?
Old 08-23-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've been letting him know it bothers you for FOUR MONTHS?

Screw him. Call the police.

I am all for nice relations with the neighbors. The people who share my wall in my apartment liked to play music with loud bass when they first moved in. A friendly knock on the wall stopped that. Then it continued. Asking for him to turn it down seemed to do the trick.

Then it would continue. I stopped feeling the "love." The friendly knock and the polite asking came into a POUNDING on the wall.

Then I decided I could play at that game, and I put my speaker right next to the wall and let him know I too can play things loud if I want to (I don't because I live in an APARTMENT.)

Then one Saturday morning he decided to play it loud again, so I called the leasing office and complained and the manager came to his apartment to let him know there was a complaint.

No problems for a long time. Then the last couple days, he turned it up and had it up for nearly 2 hours one night. About pissed me off. I complained to the manager the next day and she said that they were only going to be here another week; they didn't opt to renew their lease. So I figured he's ticked off about the previous complaints and figured what can they do to him now? He's out of here in a week.

The manager told me to call the police if he does it again, but I don't want to find my tires slashed or something stupid on their last day here. It's not that deep. (and I know that flies in the face of my previous advice to you. IF they were going to be staying here another year and decided to start acting like this now, then YES, I would take the manager up on that option. But another week? Shoot, they will probably pack up the stereo before long.)

My thing is I live in an apartment where I share a wall with one other apartment and a floor with another. I do my best to keep my noise level down. That means I don't have the surround sound system I would love to own. That means I listen to my music at low levels without bass. Do I like it like that? NO, but I live in an APARTMENT, and I respect others around me enough to not annoy them with my movies and music.

I don't think it's a big deal to ask the same of others.
Old 08-23-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Homeowner's association or not, can't you just call the cops?
Lol, no This isn't at that level... which does put me in a tough spot I think. There's ambient noises of daily living and there's excessive noise... this is between the two I think. I can complain but I don't think I could have it enforced, either by law or an HOA.
Old 08-23-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
You've been letting him know it bothers you for FOUR MONTHS?
No, it was four months ago I initially asked about it and he moved it. This is the first time since that it's back to that level. I can't hear volume at all, it's the freakin bass.

I have a subwoofer too, but I have it turned down.. in fact I'm about to get rid of the surround altogether and just get a couple of nice floor standing speakers...
Old 08-23-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Lol, no This isn't at that level... which does put me in a tough spot I think. There's ambient noises of daily living and there's excessive noise... this is between the two I think. I can complain but I don't think I could have it enforced, either by law or an HOA.
Noise is noise. Why wouldn't you have a right to call? Because the music itself is not that loud?

And the concept that you can only call after a certain hour is bogus. I once had neighbors that were unreasonably loud during the regular prime time hours and I called the police and asked if they would respond to noise complaint calls after a certain time. No, they would at any time of the day. Maybe leases and HOA rules ask for quite times after a certain time, but that doesn't give license to be as loud as you want at any other hours of the day.
Old 08-23-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it was four months ago I initially asked about it and he moved it. This is the first time since that it's back to that level. I can't hear volume at all, it's the freakin bass.

I have a subwoofer too, but I have it turned down.. in fact I'm about to get rid of the surround altogether and just get a couple of nice floor standing speakers...
Aww, don't get rid of it. If he doesn't comply, just throw in Twister or some loud movie like that. Crank it UP, baby!
Old 08-23-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to stay in an apartment a few years ago during a major renovation, I had the downstairs people thrown out of the apartment over that 'banging speakers' crap.

I had never lived with neighbor's close like that. I couldn't believe their nerve. They had some idea I just had to put up with it... . They looked all sore when they were moving out after eviction.

I stayed in a place where I thought the rent would keep things pretty straight, man was I wrong.
Old 08-23-08, 11:09 AM
Banned

Ask them to get some sound deadening padding between your wall and the sub. I live in a townhome as well. Four 12" subs and a 15" sub and no complaints.
Old 08-23-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by matta View Post
Four 12" subs and a 15" sub and no complaints.
You probably just don't hear the complaints.
Old 08-23-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask them to get some sound deadening padding between your wall and the sub. I live in a townhome as well. Four 12" subs and a 15" sub and no complaints.
Dr Mabuse's neighbors apparently received no complaints from him before the eviction.
Old 08-23-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't put up with that shit at all. I would ask them nicely the first time to fix it, and it they didn't then I would call the cops.
Old 08-23-08, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
You probably just don't hear the complaints.
I have all that back from my college days. I lived in a dorm with a guy who had a 10" sub. Whenever someone complained, he cranked it up.

So I went a got a sub with a pair of 12" subs using all those amazon GC's we had on here back in 2000-2001. Well amazon screwed up and shipped me two. I called Amazon, and they just said to keep them because of how expensive they were to ship.

The kid then moved downstairs and our feud continued. The 12's weren't loud enough to make it through the concrete floors, so I got a 15.

So, despite what you guys may thing, I actually have matured in the last 10 years.
Old 08-23-08, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Dr Mabuse's neighbors apparently received no complaints from him before the eviction.
I guess that's the difference with an apartment and a townhome. It's a lot more complicated to deal with someone who owns the place next door.
Old 08-23-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have any more info on the padding? It would be nice to be able to recommend another solution if they don't want to move the sub. Would it require installation of some kind, or is it a mat that the sub can sit on or something?
Old 08-24-08, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a home, two 12's in the front and a 10 in the back of the room....No complaints ever

If I lived in an apt, I would not be able to enjoy movies the way I like to "hear" them.
Old 08-24-08, 02:01 PM
Suspended

Call the cops.

You shouldn't have to hear someone else's sound system. That's *not* ambient noise--it's deliberate noise.
Old 08-25-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have all that back from my college days. I lived in a dorm with a guy who had a 10" sub. Whenever someone complained, he cranked it up.

So I went a got a sub with a pair of 12" subs using all those amazon GC's we had on here back in 2000-2001. Well amazon screwed up and shipped me two. I called Amazon, and they just said to keep them because of how expensive they were to ship.

The kid then moved downstairs and our feud continued. The 12's weren't loud enough to make it through the concrete floors, so I got a 15.

So, despite what you guys may thing, I actually have matured in the last 10 years.
Apparently your math skills haven't improved though. Care to explain how the Amazon thing was in 2000-2001, but it's been 10 years of maturing since then? Did I sleep through the end of 08 through to 2011?
Old 08-25-08, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin View Post
Apparently your math skills haven't improved though. Care to explain how the Amazon thing was in 2000-2001, but it's been 10 years of maturing since then? Did I sleep through the end of 08 through to 2011?
I started maturing before I bought the speakers. Back in 1998, I was 25 and slept in bunk beds.
Old 08-25-08, 12:30 PM

One of the funniest revenge against noisy neighbors stories I've read posted on another board. Wish I could take credit for it:

"i used to live below this kid who for LITERALLY 4 hours every single day at the same time would just play the same riff on guitar, solo, riff, solo, riff, solo. just on repeat. plus they had "parties" till 3am a few nights a week. these parties were literally just the 4 of them getting drunk, listening to eminem at top volume, and throwing things out the window. we put up with alot, but at 4am when people have to go to work at 6am, it gets to be a bit much.

one day i just taped condensor mics to the ceiling, and ran them into a mixer and into series of incredibly loud amps around the apartment (a couple hundred-watt ampeg tube amps and 4x12 and 2x15 cabinets). and then i turned them all on, cranked them, and left the house. any noise on their part caused a feedback loop that just got louder and louder and shook the entire building, EVENTUALLY fading away. i left it on for 2 days."
Old 08-25-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^
Old 08-25-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious how a feedback loop fades away.
Old 08-25-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Sure, it sucks, but that's the nature of attached housing like townhouses. Granted, you may not have an option, depending on the part of the country you live in, but detached single-family homes have no where NEAR these kind of apartment-like problems. And if polite asking doesn't work, you don't have much recourse other than an HOA or the cops, unless you happen to know if the unit in question is being used as a rental. If so, you should be able to contact the owners and let them know there's an issue, but there's no guarantee that would work either.

You're pretty much stuck, because the biggest hammer someone could hold over them - eviction - probably isn't in play. So you've got all the "perks" of apartment living, with none of the benefits. Sucks to be you. Keep this in mind for future reference if you decide to sell and look for another home down the road. Single family homes provide much more insulation from asshats like your neighbors - provided one can afford it.
Old 08-25-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Call the police. Every single time. Eventually, they will get so tired of coming out that they will start handing out fines. That solves the problem.
Old 08-25-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Call the police. Every single time. Eventually, they will get so tired of coming out that they will start handing out fines. That solves the problem.
Eventually the police will get tired of coming out and make you sign a complaint form of some sort and require you to go to court so they can pursue the noise complaint officially.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.