Woman Commits Suicide Over Foreclosure

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-24-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...rss-topstories

(TAUNTON, Mass.) — A 53-year-old wife and mother fatally shot herself shortly after faxing a letter to her mortgage company saying that by the time they foreclosed on her house that day, she would be dead.

Police said that Carlene Balderrama used her husband's high-powered rifle to kill herself Tuesday afternoon, shortly after faxing the letter at 2:30 p.m.

The mortgage company called police, who found Balderrama's body at 3:30 p.m. The auction was scheduled to start at 5 p.m. and interested buyers arrived at the property in Taunton, about 35 miles south of Boston, while Balderrama's body was still inside, according to Taunton police chief Raymond O'Berg.

Police did not immediately release the name of the mortgage company. O'Berg said Balderrama's fax read, in part, "By the time you foreclose on my house I'll be dead."

O'Berg also said a suicide note found next to Balderrama told her husband, John, and 24-year-old son to "take the (life) insurance money and pay for the house."

Joe Whitney, who works with Balderrama's husband, a plumber, said that Balderrama handled the bills and her husband didn't know about the foreclosure.

"John didn't even know about it, that's the surprise," Whitney said told The Boston Globe. "It's just one of those awful, awful tragic events."
I don't know a lot about life insurance policies, but I think I know more than this woman did, apparently. What a moran and to leave her husband alone, in debt, and clueless and her son in this way...

People just got it all figured out, don't they?
Old 07-24-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I would think the suicide would jeopardize the insurance payment.
Old 07-24-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
All that planning and she forgot to stage an accident.
Old 07-24-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragic.

Because of material things.

What a waste of a Woman, Wife, and Mother.
Old 07-24-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 589 Likes on 460 Posts
Originally Posted by tasha99
All that planning and she forgot to stage an accident.
Not to mention that she told multiple people about it, including the mortgage company.

On the other hand, I had no idea that they auction off the property at the exact moment they foreclose on the house.
Old 07-24-08, 02:27 PM
Banned

Should have just stopped paying it all together and thumbed her nose at the bank and parade of legal letters. Thats what they do in the poor sections of Boston. Then the neighborhood rallies around, claims racism and oppression, and chains themselves to the porch to block the police from removing them. Must be nice for certain groups to escape the realities of supporting themselves and repaying loans they borrowed at terms they understood.
Old 07-24-08, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Do you think?

Actually, it sounds pretty suspicious. According to CNN, the family was only 2 days away from having to move out and nothing was packed or made it seem like they were moving.

At minimum, that should have raised some flags for the husband that something was going down. At the other end, it makes him a potential murder suspect in my book.

Of course, if he did kill her, he might want to admit to it to get that insurance money.
Old 07-24-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most all life insurance policies have only a 2 year suicide exclusion - so once the policy has been issued 2 years, you can off yourself.

Good thing to keep in mind if you're ever feeling like making your family rich quick!
Old 07-24-08, 02:32 PM
Banned

Sad.
Bush claims another victim.
Old 07-24-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 589 Likes on 460 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Most all life insurance policies have only a 2 year suicide exclusion - so once the policy has been issued 2 years, you can off yourself.

Good thing to keep in mind if you're ever feeling like making your family rich quick!
Wow, she did know more about life insurance than us.

I didn't know that. Why would the life insurance companies even offer this? I understand the 2 year rule, but why allow any suicide as a reason to cash in life insurance?
Old 07-24-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matta
Do you think?

Actually, it sounds pretty suspicious. According to CNN, the family was only 2 days away from having to move out and nothing was packed or made it seem like they were moving.

At minimum, that should have raised some flags for the husband that something was going down. At the other end, it makes him a potential murder suspect in my book.

Of course, if he did kill her, he might want to admit to it to get that insurance money.
Grain of salt, but the husband's coworker did say the husband had no idea about the foreclosure. If the wife started packing, that might raise some red flags to him.

I think he's in the clear and can probably be accounted for the work day on Tuesday.
Old 07-24-08, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig

I didn't know that. Why would the life insurance companies even offer this? I understand the 2 year rule, but why allow any suicide as a reason to cash in life insurance?
Do you know how easy it would be to commit suicide and make it look like an accident for insurance purposes? Just wait until it rains, find a road on the edge of a cliff or side of a hill, come up with a reason to be on that road, and take a turn a little fast.
Old 07-24-08, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
Grain of salt, but the husband's coworker did say the husband had no idea about the foreclosure. If the wife started packing, that might raise some red flags to him.

I think he's in the clear and can probably be accounted for the work day on Tuesday.
Yeah, I guess I could see that if she always got the mail and answered the phone in the middle of the day.
Old 07-24-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow thats some sad sad shit guys....
Old 07-24-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Isn't the point of life insurance to help out the family after the death of a loved one? I think it would be pretty shitty if a family (like this one) was denied the claim because the relative took her own life. It's not like they had any control over that.
Old 07-24-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I was going to say that both my wife's and my policy only had a 2 year exclusion for suicide. I've been telling her how crappy life is for the past 3 years now, and she still dowsn't get it.
Old 07-24-08, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it all depends upon the policy/company.
Old 07-24-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Sad.
Old 07-24-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Sad.

You have got to be kidding me. I scratched my knee yesterday. Had I known I could blame Bush for it, I would have had a little smile on my face.
Old 07-24-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Not to mention that she told multiple people about it, including the mortgage company.

On the other hand, I had no idea that they auction off the property at the exact moment they foreclose on the house.
Apparently, she knew when they were going to auction it, either that, or she took a wild guess and got damn close to the time.

Fatal foreclosure
Wife’s suicide blamed on family money woes
By Marie Szaniszlo and Jerry Kronenberg
Thursday, July 24, 2008 - Added 17h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(44) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(1) Rate

The husband of a Taunton woman who police say shot herself after faxing a suicide note to the company foreclosing on her home had a troubled financial history, including three recent bankruptcy attempts and an earlier foreclosure filing, the Herald has learned.

Taunton police said Carlene Balderrama, 53, shot herself to death Tuesday after faxing her mortgage company a note implying suicide hours before her home was to be auctioned off.

“ ‘By the time you foreclose on my house, I’ll be dead,’ ” Police Chief Raymond O’Berg said the note read.

PHH Mortgage Corp. received the fax at 2:27 p.m. and called police at 3:38 p.m., less than 90 minutes before the house was to be auctioned off.

When police arrived at 103 Duffy Drive minutes later, O’Berg said, they found Balderrama dead from a single gunshot wound from her husband’s rifle.

Next to her body, the chief said, was a note telling her husband and their 24-year-old son Jamie, a cook at the local 99 Restaurant, to “take the insurance money and pay for the house.”

“It is a tragedy,” O’Berg said. “There’s victims all around in this. . .Something’s wrong with the system when you have working people being foreclosed on.”

Although the mortgage company called off the auction, prospective buyers began arriving at the house at 5 p.m., while Balderrama’s body still lay in the house, he said.

A spokeswoman for Harmon Law Offices, the Newton firm handling the foreclosure for PHH, said, “We are shocked and saddened by what has occurred. Our deepest sympathies go out to the family for the terrible loss it has suffered.”

When Balderrama’s husband, John, 52, a plumber and longtime employee of North Shore Mechanical Contractors, arrived home from work, he “just went into shock,” O’Berg said.

“He told us she handled all the finances,” the chief said. “He had no idea the house was being foreclosed on.”

Court filings show that John Balderrama had a history of financial problems. Three times since 2004, he sought protection from his creditors by filing for bankruptcy, according to court records. When the court dismissed his third bankruptcy filing in 2006, Balderrama was still $45,000 in debt.

Yesterday, the family declined to comment. Neighbors on their quiet, middle-class street were stunned by the suicide. Although the couple bought the split-level ranch-style house six years ago for $232,000, according to city records, few neighbors knew them.

Noreen Mendes, who has lived on the street for 34 years, said only two weeks ago, she had seen Balderrama in her yard, talking to a contractor about repairing the roof of the house.

“There were no family problems that I knew about. She was just a nice person to talk to - quiet, sweet,” Mendes said. “I always figured her husband didn’t want her to work because he was of good means. . .I just can’t fathom (her suicide). You try to make do, and if you can’t make do, you try to find other avenues.”
Old 07-24-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's look on the bright side here, guys: at least now she doesn't have to worry about the mortgage!
Old 07-24-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23

I don't get either. I understand how the N.O. Saints are his first victim, but WTF does that have to do with this lady?
Old 07-24-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Neighbor
I just can’t fathom (her suicide). You try to make do, and if you can’t make do, you try to find other avenues.
She did find another avenue... I swear, there's just no pleasing some neighbors.
Old 07-24-08, 03:00 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I was switching over my car insurance (moved), the State Farm lady was pestering me about life insurance. I asked her how long the contestability period lasted. She said two years. I then said, so I would have to wait two years to kill myself and have my family collect? She said yes and then changed the subject.

I think the 2-year rule thing is based on the idea that you wouldn't wait 2 years to commit suicide. But if one is going to off oneself, might as well take out some huge policy and wait the 2 years. 2 more years of misery, sure, but your family will be rolling in dough after you are dead (and can then name things after you).
Old 07-24-08, 03:06 PM
Banned

Better yet: you fake your own death, grow a thick beard, and move to Yugoslavia.

Seriously, if your financial situation is so hopeless that you want to commit suicide, why not just sell your things and move to another country? Your credit doesn't follow you when you move to, say, Europe.

Then start over. It might be tough if you're up there in years, but at least you get free healthcare in Europe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.