Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

George Carlin dead at the age of 71

Old 06-23-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

George Carlin dead at the age of 71

Let's try this again.

Use this thread to discuss Carlin's life and whatever, but NOT the merits of his work. Basically think of it as a tribute thread. If you want to discuss the merits or lack there of of his work, start another thread.
Old 06-23-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I wonder if we are going to see some of his older material re-released now. It would be interesting to hear some of his older stuff now. He really has had a very long career.
Old 06-23-08, 12:49 PM
Admin-Thanos

Some of his material was just not funny, but most of it was and I laughed a lot when watching his act. His social commentary was a bit dark at times, but it made you think. RIP Carlin.
Old 06-23-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the earliest bit of comedy I saw of George on cable was his piece on "Stuff."

George Carlin
Old 06-23-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved George playing a catholic priest in Dogma Buddy Christ!
Old 06-23-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Listening to, "You are all diseased"

"Colin powell is openly white, but happens to be black."

One of my best times with my dad (RIP) is eating cheese and crackers listening to George Carlin on tv. He was what Bob Saget always wished he could be. Do a tv show (Carlin as Mr Conductor) and still have a raunchy comedy show.
Old 06-23-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr Carlin was a true genius - although I started liking his material less after he lost his wife to cancer (he seemed to get bitter and hateful) - it was always thought provoking. I'll miss his introspective/complex view on simple everyday occurences.....
Old 06-23-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
He was actually Cardinal Ignatius Glick, who was supporting, "Buddy Christ"...as a way to recruit more people to the Catholic church.

As for Carlin's work....he was a brilliant guy who was a good comedian, and although he ran a bit off the tracks towards the end of his life/career (old man ranting vs. real comedic insight), he ultimately was a great contributor to comedy.
Old 06-23-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

some of the great clips from the other thread before it was ruined....

baseball and football

ten commandments

7 words

Wino

W/ Flip Wilson doing the "News"

Old 06-23-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Same here, I was raised Catholic, and I really got a kick out of that role!
Old 06-23-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People who should be killed

Old 06-23-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I am a huge Carlin fan but I have a question: are we only allowed to say good things about Carlin and his work? I know the other thread went off into religious outer space, but what's wrong with saying you didn't like aspects of his humor and why?

Again, I love Carlin and am an atheist as well but it seems hypocritical to allow posts praising his anti-religious comedy and yet disallowing criticism of the same.
Old 06-23-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Green Smurf
One of my best times with my dad (RIP) is eating cheese and crackers listening to George Carlin on tv. He was what Bob Saget always wished he could be. Do a tv show (Carlin as Mr Conductor) and still have a raunchy comedy show.
Your father never listened to Bob Saget's stand up. The best thing about Saget's stand up was watching half the audience get up to leave, as they were expecting some kind of "Full House" humor.
Old 06-23-08, 01:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Now I am a huge Carlin fan but I have a question: are we only allowed to say good things about Carlin and his work? I know the other thread went off into religious outer space, but what's wrong with saying you didn't like aspects of his humor and why?

Again, I love Carlin and am an atheist as well but it seems hypocritical to allow posts praising his anti-religious comedy and yet disallowing criticism of the same.
Given how wildly off topic that last thread went, we felt this would be the best way to handle this particular topic. I don't think of it as a template for all "famous death" threads, just this particular celebrity. We leave open the possibility to have an anti Carlin thread, which allows for those who disagree with his work/morals to voice their opinion without spoiling the time for his supporters. It's similar to the Stern/Opie and Anthony threads (or sports threads) which have blown up in the past.
Old 06-23-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THIS thread is for his life and how he was liked. I believe he said in the first post if you have a problem with carlins work make a new thread
Old 06-23-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm obviously not a moderator here, but a lot of Carlin's comedy is about religion, and religious topics aren't really the most laid-back conversations.

If a famous figurehead of the Baptist church (just an example) died, I wouldn't go into a thread created about that person and start slingling mud when the thread was intended to be a tribute.
Old 06-23-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glassdragon=/=moderator.....
Old 06-23-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suggest, if you want to discuss the merits of Carlin's religious views, you open a thread for that purpose in the Politics forum.
Old 06-23-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
Given how wildly off topic that last thread went, we felt this would be the best way to handle this particular topic. I don't think of it as a template for all "famous death" threads, just this particular celebrity. We leave open the possibility to have an anti Carlin thread, which allows for those who disagree with his work/morals to voice their opinion without spoiling the time for his supporters. It's similar to the Stern/Opie and Anthony threads (or sports threads) which have blown up in the past.
You are right, of course. I just wish people could be respectfully critical without letting themselves degenerate into what happened in the other thread.
Old 06-23-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
glassdragon=/=moderator.....
Wasn't trying to act like a moderator, I was just giving the information he asked for. Sorry if it was taken that way
Old 06-23-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
Some of his material was just not funny, but most of it was and I laughed a lot when watching his act. His social commentary was a bit dark at times, but it made you think. RIP Carlin.
Most of what he did from the late '80s and before I consider to be very funny, but almost all of the "standup" he did in the last 15 years or so I wouldn't call particularly funny at all (perhaps interesting or entertaining, but not necessarily funny). He certainly had his funny "moments" in any of the HBO specials he's done since the '90s, but if I want to really laugh at Carlin, it's definately the older stuff that holds its own. As far as many of later bits go, I could take them or leave them, and they're not really what I'll remember him for. Anybody who's never heard anything Carlin did from the '70s or '80s could be really missing out, if exposed to only the latter stages of his career.
Old 06-23-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Wasn't trying to act like a moderator, I was just giving the information he asked for. Sorry if it was taken that way
Yeah, there are way better mini-mods than glassdragon.
Old 06-23-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon

Sarchasm meter must be off.....
Old 06-23-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the very last HBO special he did was pretty good. Certainly a lot better than the stuff he did in the 90s.
Old 06-23-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Yeah, there are way better mini-mods than glassdragon.
That depends. Does glassdragon's first name begin with a J and end with osh?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.