Reload this Page >

Do you know your neighbors?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-06-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a very outgoing person but I make an effort to be friendly to my neighbors and get to know their names and have little chats once in a while. I haven't gone as far as inviting any of them into my apt for a cocktail party or poker game though. There are some I just smile and say hello to which is the Cali standard greeting.

But many folks are fine never knowing their neighbors or greeting them. I think we are so isolated these days and people want to connect but either don't know how or don't want to make the effort.
Old 05-06-08, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of them, yes. I'm very active in the neighborhood and am considering a bid for local office.
Old 05-06-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, and based on what I can see I do not want to know them.
Old 05-06-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm friendly with a few of them. My wife definitely speaks to them a lot more than I do. I typically stick with a wave and a "hello".
Old 05-06-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. Bunch of good folks.
Old 05-06-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tall privacy fences make for good neighbors.
Old 05-06-08, 09:50 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am friendly with most of the neighbors. My wife talks to them all the time, she knows everything that's going on in the neighborhood, which is good because I don't have the energy to find out myself.
Old 05-06-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My wife and are fairly outgoing to our next-door neighbors (on both sides), but we mostly just wave and say hi. We even baked them loaves of banana bread, since we're pretty old-fashioned for young folks. Of course, we moved in during January so "regular greetings" took a few months. I'd imagine everyone will be more outgoing as the weather improves.
Old 05-06-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know about my neighbors is what I learn when they connect to my WiFi network. You'd think they'd have sense enough not to connect to one called "Honeypot."
Old 05-06-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I usually wave and say hello. One side hasn't been very friendly but two on the other side have been. I removed snow from one's driveway and the other one I've invited over when I've had parties etc. In return, I get vegetables and/or baked goods.
Old 05-06-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have friendly neighbors all sides, except for right across the street from my house. I have seen him many times, but never talk to him or say hello. Till last Friday when I came home from work, police, fire truck, ambulance, and even detectives were all over his place. They bought a body bag out of his house. The next day, my side neighbor told me that he died and doesn’t know what caused.

Anyway, our street has annual 4th of July party where we closed the street and invited everyone on the street to have food, dancing, and firework.
Old 05-06-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really. I've met the people who live right around me, and I'll say hi and wave if I see them, but I don't do anything more than that. I don't hang out or try and strike up conversations. Granted, I'm younger than most of my neighbors, so that could contribute.

A friend recently moved to a newly built community, and he knows his new neighbors well. Granted they all have new places and are moving in at the same time and they're all basically the same age, so I suppose that helps. But me, I'm the more keep to myself guy. I'm not trying to make "connections".
Old 05-06-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know everyone on my street (small street) at least casually, and my immediate neighbors a bit better - enough to take time to stand around and chat now and then. Like McHawkson, we also have an annual July 4th thing, but we've never had dancing.
Old 05-06-08, 11:14 AM

I'd like to know them, but they don't seem interested. If I go outside and see one of them, I would try to wave hello but they won't look at me. I finally stopped trying after I said 'good morning' to one and she turned around and pretended like she didn't see me when I was standing at the end of her driveway.
Old 05-06-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know their dog.
Old 05-06-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, friendly. A few of us have made an effort to do more than just say hi, but to be honest, I moved here already having a set of friends and it doesn't always work becoming friends with someone just because they live near you. After coming home from work I mainly just want to chill with my own family (or be alone) anyway. Maybe that's kind of sad, but I'm okay with it.
Old 05-06-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emptysky
I'd like to know them, but they don't seem interested. If I go outside and see one of them, I would try to wave hello but they won't look at me. I finally stopped trying after I said 'good morning' to one and she turned around and pretended like she didn't see me when I was standing at the end of her driveway.
I hate that. Either they see it as a bother or they're just too damn rude. I'll never get that.
Old 05-06-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I know their dog.
ouch.
Old 05-06-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes, but I call them tenants.
Old 05-06-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. I usually scan the street before leaving my house to make sure I don't accidentally run into one and be forced to say hello.
Old 05-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Anyway, our street has annual 4th of July party where we closed the street and invited everyone on the street to have food, dancing, and firework.
That better be one awesome firework if there's only enough in the budget for one.
Old 05-06-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes most of the ones that live close to me.
Old 05-06-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I could speak about 10 different languages then I could go meet my neighbors.
Old 05-06-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
If I could speak about 10 different languages then I could go meet my neighbors.
But you know the international language of love.
Old 05-06-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
That better be one awesome firework if there's only enough in the budget for one.
We all chip in for cheap ass fireworks, nothing fancy.

The reason we have dancing, there's a neighbor who's in DJ business and he provided music for us (except for me).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.