Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey EveryBuddy! I've been going through opiate withdrawals for the past 2 weeks!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hey EveryBuddy! I've been going through opiate withdrawals for the past 2 weeks!

Old 05-02-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe now I can understand what Edgar Alan P was going through...when he tried to stop all that opiate eating & smoking he did...

For those of you that may not know, I had a double fusion operation (up in my neck to remove ONE bad disc, but the Doc took out the WRONG ONE, and had to continue the operation to get the CORRECT ONE) like 4 years back and I've been suffering with post operative pain ever since!

So, the (host of) Doctor's first put me on Norco, then Oxycontin, and then Methadone to kick the Oxy, but I got addicted to the Methadone! Go Figure!

They call it 'Medically Addicted'. That's because I had a legitimate 'medical' reason to take them. I became 'physically dependant'. That's what they say when you're legally hooked.

So, I've been sitting here in a LIVING HELL for the past couple weeks, trying to kick the Methadone with nothing but a few muscle relaxants, some vitamins, Imodium (for the diarrhea...YUCK-SAKE!!!), & 2 Clonidine patches. The Clonidine seems to help a little to take away the stomach cramps, but it does nothing for the lack of sleep I've been experiencing! I swear I haven't slept a full 24 hours in TWO FRIGGIN' WEEKS!!!

It's HELL I TELL YA!!!

I mean, I feel like John Lennon on that COLD TURKEY single he put out a few decades back, MAN!!!

Any of YOU out there ever experience this sort of THANG 'FROM HELL'???

Your friend & mine,

Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-02-08 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This explains so very much.
Old 05-02-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But seriously, hang in there Elvis. We're here if you need us.
Old 05-02-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never became addicted to prescription drugs but then again I run the other way whenever a doctor tries to get me to take them. They seem to cause more problems then they solve. You have my sympathy.

Did you sue the doctor for botching the surgery?
Old 05-02-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Many docs are irresponsible with the higher-end opiates and inadvertently get people hooked. The more potent stuff is REALLY hard to kick, and make most other detoxes pale in comparison.
Old 05-02-08, 05:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Jeff Conaway is that you?

Seriously...hope ya get better, my prayers are with ya.
Old 05-02-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well my boy I have great sympathy for you. When I injured my back they tried to prescribe narcotics so that I could at least sleep. I told her that I could not take that, the doc asked why I told her that I am a recovering alcoholic and I would like to stay that way. Her next words no lie were you are screwed then. At which point she said that I am going to have to stick with ibruprofen which at the end before I stopped because how bad my stomach was feeling I was taking as much as 1600 miligrams. I gave up alcohol cold turkey and that sucked balls enough I can't imagine how hard it can be for something stronger.
Old 05-02-08, 07:39 AM

You would have been much better off cold turkeying the oxycontin due to methadone's much longer half-life. Was this your decision to quit, or your doctor's? What dosage were you taking when you stopped taking the methadone? Good luck riding it out, I feel for you.
Old 05-02-08, 07:44 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Numanoid

On a serious note, sorry you're hurting Mr. The Edit King. You are one of my favorite posters here. It's hard to bear when a superhero like yourself is on the Disabled List.

Old 05-02-08, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega
It's hard to bear when a superhero like yourself is on the Disabled List.
Does this mean we can call up some kid from one of the farm forums until he gets better?

Seriously man - hang in there. It's tough, but you can do it.
Old 05-02-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I discovered the hard way that it is not healthy to quit certain SRI drugs cold turkey.

Not painful physically, but weird to an unpleasant extreme. (even to me!)

You will feel like Superman when you are done, though! Meantime, go lurk in alleys and scare the muggers.
Old 05-02-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Old 05-02-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this was common knowledge! I mean, it's not like I never told my story about my neck fusion and how much dope I was taking!

You know...

I can always count on you guys & gals for a BIG LAUGH and funny stuff to make me feel better!

THANK YOU!!! (I really appreciate & need that right about now...)

...and, Thanks for all your wisdom and well wishes!

pedagogue: You hit that on the head!

wendersfan: Thanks, man.

Mrs. D: I can't WAIT TO FLY & AGGRAVATE THE EVIL DOERS!!!

LASERMOVIES: No I didn't sue. (I'll explain that later...)

After a while I started to think taking these pills was the wrong thing to do, and so I decided to get off the stuff myself (to re-evaluate my condition & pain levels without the medication) but the Doctors fought that decision.

Besides, every time I tried to skip a dose, the withdrawals were just moments away, and I'd end up taking it again. I needed some help!

I finally had the nerve & courage to say something about it (which wasn't easy, because after all they did work to take away the pain and of course I'd rather be in that neck-painless-place), and so I brought it up last October and kept on bringing it up, and it wasn't until this last May that they actually started the tapering off.

Adiras: Daily Dose: I ended up on a low dose (as compared to many I've spoke to). I was taking 160mg of Oxycontin daily for pain. They started me on 100mg of Methadone and they tapered me down 100mg for 3 days, then 90 mg for three days, etc, down to 5 mg. At first I thought I was doing okay, and felt pretty good (who wouldn't on 100mg), but the withdrawals soon raised it's evil head.

As far as thinking that this helped to make me weird:

That's the REAL ME! Drugs or no drugs, that's just who I am. Before I started talking anything, folks we'd meet would ask Treesa, 'Is he always like this?', and she'd say, 'He sure is!', and it's a good & funny life everyday, well, that is, when I'm not sick or going through crap like this, but I still try to make the best of it!

You see...

The drug weirdness or 'high' you might think you'll have lasts only a short time. After a few weeks, I felt completely normal (with respect to being 'stoned' or out of control), like I felt before they found the crushed disc, but I had to keep taking it because of the pain complicated with these dreaded withdrawals I'd get whenever I tried to stop on my own. It was that 'rock & and a hard place' kinda thing.

They just a couple weeks ago tapered me off the Methadone but maybe it was too fast, because I'm feeling like a zombie.

Hot and cold running chills, sneezing, yawning, twisting & turning, muscle cramps & aches, insomnia, restless leg crap, total heck, the whole kit & kabootle, you name it, Ive got it.

They don't tell you ANYTHING about this happening when they prescribe this stuff. If I would have (done my homework and) known about it, I may have never started down this road, but with the pain being so intense, I figured I didn't really have any choice in the matter. Call me weak, but I mean, when 'I'm' in severe pain, and there is a medicine that will take that pain away (or at best reduce it), I'll most likely take the medicine.

If there's anything I've learned through this HELLISH experience it's to not trust ANYONE, especially Doctors!

Check-out-Everything! The Internet makes that really easy nowadays. It's always best to check EVERYTHING out anyway and do your Homework!

Well y'all, I hope I've answered all of your questions.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to lay down and get some sleep.

FAT CHANCE!!! &

I tossed and turned ALL DAMN NIGHT, and passed out this morning from around 5 to 6, and that was it! On a good night I'll get a few minutes of sleep each hour. Around 10 to 15, I suppose. Now I'm up and cramping and aching and it looks like yet another day of HELL for ye ol' Edit King.

However...

...if there's anything I know, it's only a matter of time before...

I'LL BE BACK!!! &

( )

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-02-08 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I take Lyrica for neurological pain in my legs, and sometimes I might take more than prescribed on any day I feel worse than normal - which leads to running out of the medication too soon, and the insurance companies (devils that they are) won't pay to refill it until the date shown. So sometimes I can go 7 to 10 days without medication, and the withdrawals are lousy.

*Anxiety
*Cold sweats
*restless leg
*can't sleep
*can't function at work

You'd think I'd learn my lesson and not overmedicate myself so as to not run out before the time due, but I'm not that smart. I say to myself, "feel good today, worry about tomorrow tomorrow."

My philosopy is this: if medicine makes you feel better, why stop taking it? You can certainly function on it (sometimes better than ever before), so why stop taking it? Just incorporate it into your life, like baldness. Insurance companies and the Federal Government shouldn't meddle in things like this!
Old 05-02-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got a shot of fentanyl because of a stomach flu I got last weekend. It's 81 times more powerful than morphine. Man, it felt GOOD.
Old 05-02-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow TEK, I am so sorry you're having to go through all of this. I hope like hell you'll be able to kick the meds and get back to your normal self and pain free!.
Old 05-02-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear that you've got a monkey on your back. Bad monkey.

So, how's the neck pain?
Old 05-02-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spicollidriver1: Glad to hear yer keepin' it clean. My hat's off to you!

Buttmunker: I know EXACTLY what yer sayin'!

That happened to me MORE times than I wish to remember!

That sucks so big, I can't fully describe it in words.

Shazam: I know about that fentanyl. They wanted to start me on the fentanyal patches, but I thought enough was enough.

DAMN! I Should have had them prescribe me some & just kept them for that 'rainy day'!

You can lick patches, right?

(Just kidding! )

Thanks melba & Nick!
Bad monkey.

That's an understatement! He's more like a GORILLA!!!

My neck pain has been reduced to the feeling of needle sticks and cramping, but my 'ALL NEW & IMPROVED' Doctor thinks that's due to muscle tightness and spazm, and at times there is little or no pain!

!!!PRAISE DE LAWD!!!

(...and I do. Sincerely.)

Well, I am still taking some muscle relaxers that he's prescribed, and I believe they are really helping without that fear of anymore heavy withdrawals.

So, all in all, I think getting off them at this time was the right thing to do, but boy OH boy, am I EVER paying for it!

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-02-08 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam
Got a shot of fentanyl because of a stomach flu I got last weekend. It's 81 times more powerful than morphine. Man, it felt GOOD.
Technically,I think it is 100x more potent than morphine. give or take.
Old 05-02-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe that 100x is correct!
Old 05-02-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Buttmunker!

About those Lyrica's...

I just went through my 'Bag 'o Tricks' (that's what I call my prescription pill bag, where I keep all the prescription medications I've collected) and there's a bottle of Lyrica! I've got 84/50mg capsules!

Do they really work that well? They never did much IF ANYTHING for me.

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-02-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol at "bag 'o tricks".
Old 05-02-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ya saw that?

I'll put it back!
Old 05-02-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Technically,I think it is 100x more potent than morphine. give or take.
You'd better edit the Wikipedia entry then
Old 05-02-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Shazam!

I know you weren't talking to me, however, I've read that it's 100x too, although I can't remember where, but since you have reliable documentation, you get to wear the coveted 'Fentanyl Patch Crown', until someone else provides "GREATER-SCIENTIFIC-PROOF"!!!

...but don't let it go to your head because that crown is made up of 81x 48 individual fentanyl patches!

(Now I'm really confused! )

Well, FOR THE RECORD:

It's at least 80 or 81x at worst and 100x at best.

(If I had the choice, I'd prefer the 100x on our coveted 'Fentanyl Crown! )

-THEEK SAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 05-02-08 at 04:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.