Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Know anything about Second-to-None door-to-door magazine sellers?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-01-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a crap day, so when some guy came to my door this evening and gave me his spiel, I thought I'd help him out and order a magazine subscription. (Naturally, the subscription is like 3 times as much as I'd pay if I order the magazine with the prepaid postcard and the purchase didn't make me feel any better, but whatever.)

Anyway, I type in Second-to-None (the guy's business) into Google, and I find a couple of "I never got my magazine" messages.

Any of you know anything about this organization? Should I let it slide and hope I get my magazine and that this guy will actually earn something from his work, or should I cancel my check right now?
Old 05-01-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cancel. Now.

I'm sure someone can bump a similar thread on this matter we had a few years ago. Door to door magazine salesmen live a craptacular life that are bussed around neighborhoods.
Old 05-01-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good luck with your magazines.

But perhaps a stop payment may be as much as your check, and thus not be worth it.
Old 05-01-08, 11:08 PM

When illegal immigrants are smuggled into the country and given the choice of working as sex slaves or going door to door selling magazines subscriptions... most of them choose to be sex slaves.
Old 05-02-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck, the day just gets better and better. Some days I think I'd be better of just curling in a ball and never leaving bed.

The receipt says I have three days to request a cancellation and get my money back. We'll see if that happens.
Old 05-02-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[bishop2knight] What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe? [/bishop2knight]
Old 05-02-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just call the bank and cancel the check. Might cost you money, but probably less than you paid.
Old 05-02-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought from one of these companies once, and my magazines showed up. Granted, it took almost 7 months, but they did show up.

I haven't done it again. I figured I pushed my luck the first time.
Old 05-02-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

SCAM....9 times out of 10. Some use it for the $, others for identity theft, and some others to check out your house for robbing. Most have BS stories about needing to get a certain amount for a school trip or some shit like that. Don't trust anything they say.

I had two really aggressive kids try this on me years ago ('for their school'), I grabbed my bat just in case. I called security and the cops and had them cited for trespassing.....I later found out it was bogus and that they had hassled a bunch of my neighbors in other buildings....mostly old people.
Old 05-02-08, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got hustled by a kid selling magazine subs while at a gas station pump yesterday. Very annoying.
Old 05-02-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Assuming this really is a scam, should I even bother trying to get my money back by canceling the transaction with a fax or letter? Or should I cancel the check through the bank?
Old 05-02-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They had a story on our local news a couple of nights ago about a subscription crew that used the door-to-door route as an excuse to case people's houses and rob them later.

Never buy subs from one of these people. I thought everybody knew that.
Old 05-02-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
They had a story on our local news a couple of nights ago about a subscription crew that used the door-to-door route as an excuse to case people's houses and rob them later.

Never buy subs from one of these people. I thought everybody knew that.
Yeah, everyone knows that. I was just feeling insignificant and had just talked to someone about finding ways to give back. It was like a sign.

I know, I know. I'm an idiot. Believe me, I know.
Old 05-02-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A guy knocked on our door last night with no car in our driveway. We looked out the peephole and it was some dude with a clipboard and pen. We opened the door and left the glass door closed so he could see us and hear us, dogs barking and all. I told him I didn't want what he was selling and if he comes back I'll open both doors by mistake and my barking dogs would accidentally get out and protect us from trespassers and solicitors.

Can't stand people who want to interrupt our dinner. This guy came right at 8pm as we were sitting down to our food I just pulled off the grill and I'll be damned if I'm gonna entertain anyone sellin somethin.

I would have said "who actually buys magazines or anything else from anyone going door to door", but I guess we've got our answer.
Old 05-02-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Or you could have just not opened the door.
Old 05-02-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The hits keep on coming. I called to cancel my check and was charged $30. The lady also told me it could take up to three business days for the stop payment information to go through, so if the check clears today or Monday, I'm screwed. She also said I could be charged one of those insufficent funds fees by Second to None if they actually try to do that.

Good grief. I will never do this again. Hell, I might never be nice to another human again. I hate my life.
Old 05-02-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, should I also try to cancel the transaction with a fax to this organization? Or should I just let my bank handle it? Supposedly, I can send a cancel request within 3 days.
Old 05-02-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Actually, should I also try to cancel the transaction with a fax to this organization? Or should I just let my bank handle it? Supposedly, I can send a cancel request within 3 days.
uhm....couldn't hurt?
Old 05-02-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Good grief. I will never do this again. Hell, I might never be nice to another human again. I hate my life.

I feel your pain. I got burned a few years ago from a door-to-door mag seller. It was a moderately hot chick with a good rap. I was putty. I bought 2 subs that never showed up. What a maroon I was.

That's why I never answer the door, the phone or make eye contact.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-02-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just faxed my cancellation. Then called. Teresa told me she received the fax, even read my address back to me which proved she did indeed get the fax. Of course, she also said there's a 90% chance they'll catch the check before it's deposited. Gotta love the 10% window of not catching it.

We'll see what happens next. Maybe I'll be sent to collections.
Old 05-02-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Or you could have just not opened the door.
True. But then they come back. Not sure how many people you've had at your door trying to sell you something. But in my experience, they come back. Tell them no, they come back. Tell them no and not to come back, and they come back.

Hope the cancellation goes through and gets caught OP.
Old 05-02-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few years back, a girl knocked on my front door selling magazine subscriptions for some school trip. I was at home with my three-year-old daughter at the time. She started her sales pitch and perhaps, suspecting I was uninterested, started coughing and complaining about how dry her throat was because she had been doing this all day. She asked if she could have a drink of water so I said "Sure" and headed for the kitchen.

I turn around with the glass of water to discover she has helped herself into my apartment and is now sitting at the kitchen table with my daughter. She then pulls out her little book and starts writing down my information - apparently under the impression she just made a sale.

At this point I was really feeling uncomfortable and told her I wasn't interested. She started crying for about 30 seconds and then said, "I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I tell you what - I'll sign you up for these and I'll just pay for them myself."

"No, I don't think so," I said.

"Why not?"

"Because you're frightening me, and I rather not buy magazines from someone as emotionally unstable as yourself."

Still not taking no for an answer, she continues to try entering my information in her book. At which point I grab her by the arm and pull her to the front door.

She says, "I'll bet you're a real proud parent acting like this in front of your daughter."

"Time for you to leave," I said as I sling her outside and slam the door shut.

Literally two seconds later there's another knock on the door. Like I was going to be stupid enough to answer it again.
Old 05-02-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw some of these people around my neighborhood a while back and I called the police. The city I lived in at the time has a citywide "No solicitation" policy. I don't know if they got them or not.

I did buy from one of these people once, a few years before that. I think I got 1, maybe 2 of the 3 magazines that I ordered.

Originally Posted by rennervision
I turn around with the glass of water to discover she has helped herself into my apartment and is now sitting at the kitchen table with my daughter.
That's the point I would have said "please leave or I'm calling the police", as she was technically breaking and entering.
Old 05-02-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

never trust anyone that comes to your door selling anything, unless they are wearing a little green skirt and a sash
Old 05-02-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GradVT06
True. But then they come back. Not sure how many people you've had at your door trying to sell you something. But in my experience, they come back. Tell them no, they come back. Tell them no and not to come back, and they come back.
Yes, but doing it in a rude way, which you indicated that you did, just makes you a target. These people are usually pretty skeevy anyway, and giving them a reason to be pissed at you, as opposed to someone else, just increases your risk of being the one victimized, if they are indeed just casing the neighborhood for future crime.

And I have numerous people come to my door and try to sell me something. I have never opened the door for any of them, nor even gotten out of my chair to see who they are. If they come back and knock again repeatedly, then they repeatedly get to hear my big dog bark loudly when they ring the bell.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.