Reload this Page >

YACT: Trading in a vehicle

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-28-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I have always sold my vehicles privately to buy a new one but don't want to deal with the hassle this time. What I am wanting to do is trade in my truck and get 2 other vehicles, one that gets good gas mileage to use as a daily driver, and a second 4wd truck to use for hunting/fishing trips and during inclement weather. The problem is that neither of these vehicles will be worth more than the value of my truck and I would more than likely get the 2nd truck through a private party, so I was wondering what a dealership does when the vehicle they are trading for is worth more than the one that they are selling. Will they pretty much tell me to fuck off and buy a vehicle of equal or greater value, or would they write me a check for the difference which I could then use to buy my second vehicle? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-28-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

probably depends on the dealership and what they think is customer demand
Old 04-28-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hassle notwithstanding, you will get much more $$$ from a private sale compared to trade-in.
Old 04-28-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

in a lot of states with a dealer trade in you get a huge sales tax break which evens things out
Old 04-28-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Hassle notwithstanding, you will get much more $$$ from a private sale compared to trade-in.
Yeah, I just dont know how much demand there would be for a $25,000 vehicle that gets 13mpg.
Old 04-28-08, 01:58 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I assume you are not buying both new vehicles at the same dealership? That would likely make the transaction easy, since the trade-in wouldn't be worth more than both vehicles.
Old 04-28-08, 02:01 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How does insurance work on a 2nd vehicle? Is it much cheaper? I'm considering getting a SUV in the near future for snow/hauling/off-road sporatic driving. So, John Galt, have you looked into insurance for a 2nd rarely used vehicle?
Old 04-28-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I actually used to have an old Wrangler for awhile to go along with my daily driver. Insurance was discounted, I believe it was about an additional $20-30/month for that vehicle.

And what I'm looking to do is get a daily driver car in about the 10-15k range and then just get an old truck for about 3-5k. Not too many dealerships keep 10-15 year old pickups on the lot, so I am pretty sure I will be getting that through a private seller.
Old 04-28-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should take your trade in to Car Max and just see what they are willing to give you for it. I have been surprised by what some people around here have gotten.

Other than that, trying to trade a more expensive vehicle in for a less expensive vehicle at the same dealer just screams rape me to that dealer. I would be cautious.