Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your opinion on bike riders rolling through stop signs?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-24-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me say that I love bikes, and admire those who ride.

However...

I've had my share of having to baby-sit bike riders in my day, and today was no different.

Driving Treesa to work, we were approaching a familiar four way stop where we daily make a right turn, and on the way there we passed a guy speeding along on his bike.

We arrived at the intersection before he did, and knowing the 'drill' (that he probably would not stop, which as has been the way bike riders roll in my experience), we waited there for him to pass us on the right, because if I proceeded with my turn in front of him, he would have most likely had a conniption fit, shouted some colorful vulgarity, or flipped the finger of greatest length at me, and frankly, I (to my shame) haven't yet learned to just lay down and take it when someone does that to me, especially when I haven't done anything wrong, but I decided to wait there for him to 'roll through' yet another stop sign, because I just wasn't up to having a confrontation so early this morning.

Maybe another morning, but for one reason or another I woke up feeling extra crappy today and just wasn't up to the challenge, but no less frustrated at the rolling rider.

I know I'm just an ol' fart who's outta touch with what's 'hip and or cool', but did they pass a new law? I mean, isn't that still illegal? Do they even give out tickets for folks doing stuff like that anymore?

What do you know about it?

-THEEK'S Feeling a little Anti-Cranky in California

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-24-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most bike riders I've seen don't seem to care too much about traffic laws.
Old 04-24-08, 02:53 PM

I see bike riders here in LA dodging and weaving all over the place, disregarding the rules. Fine by me, because at the end of the day I own a car and they basically own a child's toy....
Old 04-24-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same as it is for most people. I watched a police officer roll through a stop sign today.

Most people just don't care about alot of things.
Old 04-24-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Same as it is for most people.

I guess I should have added "far moreso than drivers of motorized vehicles."
Old 04-24-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I guess I should have added "far moreso than drivers of motorized vehicles."
Well IIRC we are in the same area. I see people everyday, no matter what type of vehicle, violating all kinds of laws.

I guess the problem I have with motorcycles is that their riders somehow seem to feel entitled to break the law.
Old 04-24-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Most bike riders I've seen don't seem to care too much about traffic laws.
About a month ago I saw a bike rider sideswipe an elderly Japanese woman in her 70s walking in a crosswalk. When she said "watch out" he just flipped her off without even looking back and rode off into the middle of a crowd of pedestrians.

This pretty much describes most bicyclists in downtown Seattle.
Old 04-24-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would say, hit them? Honestly I hate those fuckers. I have no problem with bike riders, but when they have no regard for the law, then I just hope they learn their lesson the hard way.
Old 04-24-08, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As someone who commutes to work on a bike every day, there's hardly anything in the world that pisses me off more than cyclists who don't follow traffic laws.
Old 04-24-08, 03:05 PM

Perhaps some of these bike riders who run stop signs and go down the wrong way on one-way streets and such are bike messengers who get paid by the job, and really can't sustain a decently livable wage by perfectly following all traffic laws simply for the sake of time.

[off-topic]Breakfast with Girls, is your username a reference to the Self album of the same title?[/off-topic]
Old 04-24-08, 03:07 PM

My opinion on such shenanigans...
Old 04-24-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shitheads. They want to share the roads with cars, but do not want to play by the same rules.

The worst is when you, and every other car in front and behind of you, have to slow down to pass the biker, and then when you get to a traffic light, the fucker passes everyone up and we all have to do the same thing again. WAIT IN LINE, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!!!!
Old 04-24-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well IIRC we are in the same area. I see people everyday, no matter what type of vehicle, violating all kinds of laws.

I don't see drivers running red lights or stop signs that often. They may not come to a complete stop at a stop sign, but they don't roll through lights and stop signs as I usually see with bike riders. Plus drivers can't exactly weave through stopped traffic either like bikers so often do.
Old 04-24-08, 03:12 PM

my friend rolled through a stop sign recently only to get stopped by some stupid bitch cop ...
Old 04-24-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you just need to man up. Like when Marty got over being called a chicken. Or you could just keep a super soaker in your car loaded with water and food coloring.
Old 04-24-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
my friend rolled through a stop sign recently only to get stopped by some stupid bitch cop ...
What a doing-her-job ****. Can't people break the law without getting hassled by the (wo)man?
Old 04-24-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cyclists (and anybody else) ignoring rules of the road? I think something involving fishhooks and vinegar would be appropriate.
Old 04-24-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be honest. I didn't think there were laws that applied to pedestrians as they do motorists. I thought it was common sense to stop at stop signs on a bike (even moreso than a car).. I know there's designated bike lanes too.. but that's news to me.

Last edited by My Other Self; 04-24-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-24-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have LOTS of cyclists here that have those expensive bikes and tight outfits and the whole nine. LOTS of them. They are worse than teenage girl drivers while on talking on the phone and putting makeup on while driving with their knees.

There's a 4 way intersection we travel through frequently with stoplights. Sure enough, a cyclist came up the intersection and wanted to go through it. The rest of us cars were stopped at the red light. Wasn't good enough for the cyclist. He kept going and turned right without slowing down and went not even 2 seconds before turning up across the road that still had the green light, nearly getting run over by cars going both directions. When he finally got to the other side, he traveled several feet back towards the left, and continued along the roads that still had the red light on the other side of the intersection.

They pull out right in front of cars, do not stup or signal turns, ignore stop and yield signs, and often cycle right next to each other in the road instead of one behind the other to the point that they take up the tire half of one of the two-direction lanes.

Everytime I see them I want to run them over.
Old 04-24-08, 03:38 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

its dangerous

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA4Fjxvqgbs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA4Fjxvqgbs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-24-08, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
Um, isn't that the law?
Old 04-24-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, look. It's the end of the month. Time for another 'Let's Hate and Generalize Cyclists' thread...

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Let me say that I love bikes, and admire those who ride.

However...

I've had my share of having to baby-sit bike riders in my day, and today was no different.

Driving Treesa to work, we were approaching a familiar four way stop where we daily make a right turn, and on the way there we passed a guy speeding along on his bike.

We arrived at the intersection before he did, and knowing the 'drill' (that he probably would not stop, which as has been the way bike riders roll in my experience), we waited there for him to pass us on the right, because if I proceeded with my turn in front of him, he would have most likely had a conniption fit, shouted some colorful vulgarity, or flipped the finger of greatest length at me, and frankly, I (to my shame) haven't yet learned to just lay down and take it when someone does that to me, especially when I haven't done anything wrong, but I decided to wait there for him to 'roll through' yet another stop sign, because I just wasn't up to having a confrontation so early this morning.
By your own admission, you just sat there at a Stop sign and idled. Maybe the cyclist realized what you were doing and decided he wasn't going to wait. Speaking from experience, I find that motorists who seem overly tentative are just as dangerous as the aggressive ones...
Old 04-24-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos
Oh, look. It's the end of the month. Time for another 'Let's Hate and Generalize Cyclists' thread...

By your own admission, you just sat there at a Stop sign and idled. Maybe the cyclist realized what you were doing and decided he wasn't going to wait. Speaking from experience, I find that motorists who seem overly tentative are just as dangerous as the aggressive ones...
To be fair, the cyclist would have to be crazy to have passed him on the right, especially without stopping, as long as THEEK was actually signalling a right turn.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
its dangerous

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA4Fjxvqgbs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yA4Fjxvqgbs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
It sure is dangerous if the driver of the car runs a red light
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
its dangerous

1. That's a scooter, not a bike.

2. The car appears to have the red light, making it the party in the wrong. Probably talking on his cell phone and not paying attention...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.