Reload this Page >

Anyone here live in Colorado?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-22-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am moving later this year and just looking at possible places to re-locate. Now i have never been to Colorado, but it seems like an amazing place. It looks like there is a lot to do and see not just there but also in near by states. So can anyone tell me what the state is like generally. Its good and bad points.
Old 04-22-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
I am moving later this year and just looking at possible places to re-locate. Now i have never been to Colorado, but it seems like an amazing place. It looks like there is a lot to do and see not just there but also in near by states. So can anyone tell me what the state is like generally. Its good and bad points.
Registering your car is very expensive, but other than that, I like it.
Old 04-22-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the housing market is tanking pretty bad there, more than most parts of the country. Rent something
Old 04-22-08, 12:30 PM

Casa Bonita!
Old 04-22-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what's the job market like out there? I have friends who have moved out there and are pretty happy but I haven't seen much by way of employment myself.
Old 04-22-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I think the housing market is tanking pretty bad there, more than most parts of the country. Rent something
hmmmm, it might depend on what part of Colorado we're talking about. Some areas are tanking, but others are actually going up.

In fact, this whole thread is too vague. It's a huge state; 40% of the state is plains not mountains, then there's the front range that extends for a couple hundred miles, from Ft. Collins in the north to Boulder, Denver, CO Springs and Pueblo. Then there's the mountain communities, and the Western Slope. Some Western Slope towns are 350 miles and 6-7 hours drive from Denver. As for cool things to see in nearby states, well, it's a big state, and while CO shares borders with NM, UT, WY, KS, and NE, only WY is within 2 hours of where I live. The NM and UT borders are probably 4 or 5 hours away, and nobody here really cares about KS and NE.
Old 04-22-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Casa Bonita!
Casa Bonita is pretty cool if you don't mind driving through the ghetto to get there.

Overall, CO is great. I think we're considered the state with the most sunshine annually...it may be cold out but damnit the sun's shining!
Old 04-22-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dan pretty much covered it, we need more specific info. Also, just wanted to share this with my fellow coloradans if you haven't seen it before.

Subject: You're from Colorado if----
>
> >
> >
> > Colorado--hilarious!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > You're from Colorado if----
> > >
> > > You'll eat ice cream in the winter.
> > >
> > > When the weather report says it's going to be 65
> > > degrees, you shave your legs and wear a skirt.
> > >
> > > It snows 5 inches and you don't expect school to be
> > > cancelled.
> > >
> > > You'll wear flip flops every day of the year,
> > > regardless of temperature.
> > >
> > > You have no accent at all, but can hear other
> > > ; people's. And then you make fun of them.
> > >
> > > 'Humid' is over 25%
> > >
> > > Your sense of direction is: Toward the mountains and
> > > Away from the mountains.
> > >
> > > You say 'the interstate' and everybody knows which
> > > one.
> > >
> > > You think that May is a totally normal month for
> > > a blizzard
> > >
> > > You grew up planning your Halloween costumes around
> > > your coat
> > >
> > > You know what the Continental Divide is.
> > >
> > > You don't think Coors beer is that big a deal.
> > >
> > > You went to Casa Bonita as a kid.
> > >
> > > You've gone off-roading in a vehicle that was never
> > > intended for such activities.
> > >
> > > You always know the elevation of where you are.
> > >
> > > You know that there are two kinds of Colorado
> > > Girls: those who shave, and those who don't.
> > >
> > > You wake up to a beautiful, 80 degree day and you
> > > wonder if it's going to snow tomorrow.
> > >
> > > You don't care that some company renamed it, the
> > > Broncos still play at Mile High.
> > >
> > > When you hear that the Chiefs and the Raiders are
> > > having bad season you laugh uncontrollably.
> > >
> > > Every movie theater has military and student
> > > discounts.
> > >
> > > Everybody wears jeans to church.
> > >
> > > You actually know that South Park is a real place
> > > not just a show on TV.
> > >
> > > You know what a 'trust fund hippy' is, and you know
> > > its natural habitat is Boulder.
> > >
> > > You've made naked snow angels.
> > >
> > > You know you're talking to a fellow Coloradoan when
> > > they call it Elitches, not Six Flags.
> > >
> > > A bear on your front porch doesn't bother you.
> > >
> > > Your two favorite teams are the Broncos and whoever
> > > is beating the crap out of the Raiders.
> > >
> > > You've been to the original Chipotle near the DU
> > > campus on Evans.
> > >
> > > When people out East tell you they have mountains in
> > > their state too, you just laugh.
> > >
> > > You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels
> > > 'sticky' and you notice the sky is no longer blue.
Old 04-22-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

lots of good places east of the rockies

i have family around an hour north of denver, nice place but i wouldn't want to live there. if i was to move there it would probably be somewher within 20 miles of Denver
Old 04-22-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok to be a little bit more specific. I have not decided upon a single place to move to and am trying to get a general feel of all the different places. Where to avoid and where i might actually like. I am looking for somewhere affordable, close to a city of reasonable size....within driving distance i mean. I am looking for somewhere that has great views and lts of things to do outdoors. It seems that there are a lot of places around the Rockies....so somewhere within spitting distance of those would be nice. I am just after somewhere that will offer me the normal luxuries that people take for granted (reasonable shopping, resteraunts, night life etc) without expecting too much. Hopefully somewhere that the people will be friendly and sociable as well. I just want somewhere that is easy going without much crime and where i can enjoy whats around me and meet new people.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way.
Old 04-22-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anywhere within 30 minutes driving distance of a Whole Foods or Neiman Marcus is good. too expensive any closer, but reasonable around 30 minutes away
Old 04-22-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're a whitey, you should feel right at home. That's what I heard anyway.
Old 04-23-08, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL at this thread.

Castle Rock is gorgeous, friendly, affordable (in parts) and it's 25 minutes from downtown depending on traffic. Anything else around here, Parker, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Centennial - all of these places have great views and atmosphere. This is south of Denver BTW.

SW of Denver - like Littleton but further away from the city towards the mountains and towards Morrison - good place to live, easy access to everything and again, 25 minutes to downtown.

Stay away from Denver (outskirts of downtown), Five Points, parts of Englewood, Sheridan.... Old, crappy, too many people, etc.

North of Denver you get into some odd places that have a large mix of homes (low-income to very high income) and again, lots of people but growing tremendously.

Out towards Boulder is beautiful - but you have to be able to afford it. I personally couldn't live north of Denver or anything above and towards Boulder or Ft. Collins but that's just because I like my cute little new areas.

There's great food choices all around, espcially on Colfax - very ethnic. So if you like food, you'll want to go there.

Downtown Denver is very happening! Tons of bars and clubs and great social aspects.

If you like the college-town atmosphere, Denver proper around DU is great. Boulder is excellent (but again, if you can afford it, just ask LurkerDan) and Ft. Collins is a lot of fun.

Microbreweries are the big thing out here. Especially in Ft. Collins!

As far as driving distance to the Rockies... you have them all over, so if you're anywhere near Denver, you can hit them in 20 minutes. Driving to the mountains is EASY! From Denver you can get to Winter Park, Copper Mountain, etc within 1.5 - 2 hours. Aspen is 3, Vail is maybe 2.

You can't beat the scenery here. It's absolutely incredible.

OK I love it here, can you tell? I moved here in '97 from Orange County, CA. I have no desire to be anywhere else unless I win the lottery and move to the Carribean. The people are nice and genuine. There's always something to do (check out denver.sidewalk.com).

For more info you can visit www.colorado.com or http://www.coloradoinfo.com/ and then there's my favorite place to live - http://www.ci.castlerock.co.us/

Last edited by melbatoast; 04-23-08 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
If you're a whitey, you should feel right at home. That's what I heard anyway.
Interesting. We have a great mix here. Denver is home to many different ethnicities. I think it's east of Denver that you're thinking of - cowtowns - towards Kansas and Nebraska. You can strap on yer shitkickers out there and be right at home!
Old 04-23-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Interesting. We have a great mix here. Denver is home to many different ethnicities. I think it's east of Denver that you're thinking of - cowtowns - towards Kansas and Nebraska. You can strap on yer shitkickers out there and be right at home!
Unless I'm confusing it with another cold state, there aren't many black folks over there.
Old 04-23-08, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL. Yes there are. Not an overwhelming number, no, but yeah, there are.
Old 04-23-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Museums don't count.
Old 04-23-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no desire to be anywhere else unless I win the lottery and move to the Carribean.
Well thats funny because thats where i am at the moment. I am originally from England but have been living in San Juan for the last 7 years. I just feel that my time is up here and i need a change. I was going to move back to England, but i thought i would give somewhere in the US a try and Colorado seems a great place.
Old 04-23-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i thought most europeans prefer NYC or somewhere else in the northeast
Old 04-23-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i thought most europeans prefer NYC or somewhere else in the northeast
Well i have thought about that part of the country simply because it would make travelling back to England easier. But to be honest i thought it would be nice to try somewhere that was more open and out-doorsy.
Old 04-23-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Kobe Bryant gives CO and a

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-23-08 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL. Yes there are. Not an overwhelming number, no, but yeah, there are.

Agreed. We mustn't be overwhelmed by them.
Old 04-23-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well i have thought about that part of the country simply because it would make travelling back to England easier. But to be honest i thought it would be nice to try somewhere that was more open and out-doorsy.
i've never been outside Heathrow, but my biggest gripe with living far away from a big city is that there is nothing there except chain stores and chain restaraunts. there are some nice mom and pop places, but they aren't that good. what this means is there is no variety. everything is the same.
Old 04-23-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys!
Old 04-23-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok to be a little bit more specific. I have not decided upon a single place to move to and am trying to get a general feel of all the different places. Where to avoid and where i might actually like. I am looking for somewhere affordable, close to a city of reasonable size....within driving distance i mean. I am looking for somewhere that has great views and lts of things to do outdoors. It seems that there are a lot of places around the Rockies....so somewhere within spitting distance of those would be nice. I am just after somewhere that will offer me the normal luxuries that people take for granted (reasonable shopping, resteraunts, night life etc) without expecting too much. Hopefully somewhere that the people will be friendly and sociable as well. I just want somewhere that is easy going without much crime and where i can enjoy whats around me and meet new people.

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way.
That's a little more info, but still not enough. We've ruled out the eastern plains, so that's good!

What is affordable to you? I mean, someone who lives in Aspen might find Boulder affordable, while someone who lives in Iowa might find it a wee bit expensive. When you say "close to a city of reasonable size" what do you mean? We have one "city" as that term might be used nationally, ie only one city that the rest of the country would recognize as a real urban city. But there are other cities that are of reasonable size: C-Springs, Ft Collins, Boulder, Pueblo, Grand Junction (that's probably the complete list, and I'm not even sure Boulder belongs on that list, it's more of a big town with some elements of a city; probably same for Ft Collins). Do you need/want to be close to Denver (or its airport)? If so, that narrows it down significantly; at least it eliminates Pueblo and Grand Junction (and probably C-Springs too).

Are you looking for a place where you can walk to places, shopping, restaurants? A place where you can easily bike to places? Or is using a car for everything ok with you? Do you want hiking very close by, or is driving 30 minutes to hiking ok with you?

The mountains are close to everyone here, so that should be easy to satisfy, any place we recommend will be at worst 30 minutes to some mountains, and 1 hour or less to some real big mountains, and 2 hours or less to some skiing. And in general, I have found people in this state to be very friendly across the board, so that is easy enough. And unless you live in certain specific Denver neighborhoods, crime is pretty low, so that one is also easy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.