DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   What were you doing ten years ago? + Bonus Topic: One thing you'd tell yourself then (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/529349-what-were-you-doing-ten-years-ago-bonus-topic-one-thing-youd-tell-yourself-then.html)

The Bus 04-11-08 02:49 PM

What were you doing ten years ago? + Bonus Topic: One thing you'd tell yourself then

What were you doing around this time ten years ago?

I was in college, unsure of what concentration I wanted in my majors and briefly thniking about leaving school to go into game developing based on some informal job offer I had received. I also rekindled my love for mountain biking: I bought a nice Gary Fischer bike which I used to ride on the state park close to the dorms.

And I would probably give myself stock tips.

dick_grayson 04-11-08 02:51 PM

I would be 18. I would tell myself to jump off a bridge.

Randy Miller III 04-11-08 02:52 PM

I was also in college (graduated HS in 1997).
I'd probably tell myself to pick a different major...or travel a bit once I got out.

stp115 04-11-08 02:57 PM

I was working for the CDC, living with my brother, having a pretty good time of things. I would tell myself to turn the bathroom mat before my brother cut it in half to make it fit, and would then give myself the dates and numbers for every $100 million+ lottery for the next 10 years. :)

Vibiana 04-11-08 03:05 PM

I had just gotten out of a long-term relationship a few months before (Sept 1997) and was getting used to being single and self-sufficient again.

If I could go back, I'd have spent more time with my mother. I miss her so much.

SoSpacey 04-11-08 03:07 PM

10 years ago yesterday I proposed to my wife and 10 years ago today we were celebrating at some Chinese Restaurant on Staten Island with the families.

So I was working for myself, playing a LOT of golf (2-3x per week) and working out more than I ever did in my life. Plus the wedding plans.

It was a very good time for me.

drmoze 04-11-08 03:10 PM

10 years ago I was dating my neighbor across the street. I would've told myself to run! Plus maybe offer myself some career advice.

mrpayroll 04-11-08 03:10 PM

Let's see, I had just started as a full time employee of WDI and I was living with my dad! :(

A couple of things I would have told myself back then.

1. Make sure I would do stretching in the mornings and evenings and to be careful with my back. Since then I've had numerous back problems, including surgery.

2. Tell myself to get the hell out of my dads house and get a place of my own. I finally did that 3 years ago (renting) and have been pretty happy since. And if I had been really smart, I would have bought a house and I would be 10 years into paying the mortgage.

Chris

AGuyNamedMike 04-11-08 03:13 PM

Working here. Had a live-in GF who was a bit psycho. Was in much better shape.

I'd tell myself to ditch the GF before she did anymore damage to my psyche, get in even better shape and keep it up, and start saving more $$$.

Matto1020 04-11-08 03:22 PM

I was a sophmore in high school at the time. If I could back and give myself advice it would be:

"Start eating better, don't quit playing the sax, ask a girl out for god's sakes, and once you move out of state when you graduate...don't come back no matter what!"

Shazam 04-11-08 03:26 PM

Working.

I'd tell myself to buy the apartment I was in.

kenbuzz 04-11-08 03:31 PM

#1 - Same thing, different state, less money.

#2 - Do her in the butt before she dumps you.

My Other Self 04-11-08 03:34 PM

I was in middle school.. (yeah yeah..).. I'd tell myself to to work a lot harder in high school or see myself fail for awhile after graduation and take years to get myself back where I need to be (that's the point I'm at now.. took myself 4 years to turn things around).

Sigh.

grrrah 04-11-08 03:36 PM

I was one month away from finishing grad school, staying up all night doing schoolwork.

I would/should have just went to bed and settled for a B. I also wouldn't have drank as much as I did at that one party....

Dr Mabuse 04-11-08 03:43 PM

starting my first large scale business...

go with kleiner perkins caufield & byer's offer, the private investors might be a pain in the ass...

Tracer Bullet 04-11-08 03:48 PM

I was anticipating high school graduation and going to college.

I'd tell myself not to go to grad school directly after college.

jeffkjoe 04-11-08 03:49 PM

I was in New York working at Blue Sky Studios and married.

I'm now in Califormia working at Dreamworks and married with two kids.

I would move to the West Coast sooner.

FantasticVSDoom 04-11-08 04:01 PM

In college, probably drunk and had just met my future wife... I would tell myself not to sell the house and not to move to nyc.

Kittydreamer 04-11-08 04:04 PM

10 years ago, let's see, had a baby, lived in a shitty appartment, married, life was pretty boring. If I was able to tell myself one thing it would have been to cash in the 401k plan before the stock market started to fall; lost over ten grand that year. :(

Minor Threat 04-11-08 04:11 PM

10 years ago I had just gotten married. I was busy creating innovations for a Fortune 500 company and obtaining promotions at a rate of one every 3-6 months. I drove a Honda Accord, drank a lot of beer and made a lot of money off the dotcom fiasco and tellecommunications industry.

If I could go back I'd tell myself winning powerball numbers and then move to Jamaica.....

IdgIe49 04-11-08 04:25 PM

Well, depends on what time of the year because I spent half the year in Fort Lewis and the other half in South Korea.

Spicollidriver1 04-11-08 04:26 PM

I was drinking, and I probably would say enjoy it because being sober is not as much fun. But it is a lot cheaper, and safer.

olds403 04-11-08 04:31 PM

I was dating an ex of mine and having great sex. Note to self, don't move in with her. It was a disaster.

Kudama 04-11-08 04:48 PM

I was just getting ready to move to Oakland fron SoCal. Had an awesome girlfriend didn't even know how many DVDs I was going to end up with. I though it was BS tech until I saw a friend's system.

I would tell myself to never, under any circumstances start smoking again. Then I'd punch myself in the gut and scream, "You did this to meeee!!!!" just so I wouldn't forget.

Cardiff Giant11 04-11-08 05:24 PM

10 years ago here, I was a junior in high school.
What would I tell myself? Study harder in high school and college but also to party more. Usually the amount of that is inversely proportional but I didn't study as much as party as much as I could/should have.