Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Woman steals candy, brings along newborn

Old 04-10-08, 11:07 AM

Woman steals candy, brings along newborn

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...S01/304110012/

Photo at the link.

Cops: Mom took newborn on break-in
BY JENNIFER BAKER | [email protected]

A 19-year-old Green Township mother is in the Hamilton County jail after Cincinnati police charged her with taking her newborn child along while she broke into a candy store.

Christine Ruther and three others are accused of breaking into Peter Minges & Son candy store, 138 W. Court St., downtown, shortly before 1 a.m. and swiping about $500 in candy, police said.

The group was arrested a few blocks away at Fourth and Race streets when police caught up with them by following a trail of candy and candy wrappers.

Police said Ruther had her 7-week-old daughter with her. Ruther told police she and her baby accompanied three people to the break-in and watched. She also told officers they used the baby stroller to transport the candy.

Ruther was charged with child endangering and breaking and entering. Also charged with breaking and entering were Terrance Ware, 18, of Northside; Rebecca Gamble, 18, of Blue Ash; and Dwight Reed, 22, of Walnut Hills.

Leslie Betts, manager of the 103-year-old family candy distributing business, said the quartet stole every kind of candy imaginable: “Reece cups, Skittles, Twizzlers, you name it.”

She said she learned of the break-in when Cincinnati police called her at home about 1:30 a.m.

“You’ve been broken into,” she said they told her. “We’re guarding the Swedish fish. Hurry. Come down. We can’t leave the store. It’s wide open.”

Cincinnati police also called Ruther’s mother, Amy Ruther, and asked her to come pick up the baby at District 1 police headquarters in the West End, Amy Ruther said in a phone interview.

She said she was shocked and upset over her daughter’s arrest – and that she would have the baby, Madison, with her.

“She has some problems and we have been trying to help her for a long time through doctors,” Amy Ruther said of her daughter. “When someone is that age you can’t force them to do anything. People shouldn’t make fun of the situation when they don’t know the facts. She is a good person.”

She said Christine and the baby live with her and her husband but they haven’t been able to reach Christine this week.

Amy Ruther said she doesn’t think the break-in was planned because the baby was with her daughter.

“I love that baby. She is a beautiful baby,” she said of her granddaughter. “That’s one thing: Christy did really take good care of that baby until now. Until she did this stupid thing. She’s got problems, like I said, and I never thought she would do this.”

Brian Gregg, spokesman for Hamilton County Department of Job & Family Services, said the agency, which oversees children services and foster care, was investigating and will determine who the most appropriate caregiver for the baby is and where she will be safe.

If she is not found to be safe with her mother, the first option would be to place her with a relative.

“Children always do better when they are in the care of someone in their family,” he said.
Old 04-10-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read this quickly as "woman steals candy from newborn."
DVD Talk Hero

Like taking candy with a baby.
DVD Talk Hero

At least she didn't leave the kid unattended.
Old 04-10-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I'm glad someone said it.
Old 04-10-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gummy Venus De Milo still safe!
Old 04-10-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd hit it. Only not really. What?
Old 04-10-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BradJ
I'd hit it. Only not really. What?
I could understand if she was remotely attractive, but I mean she doesn't even have that going for her. Yikes.
Old 04-10-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check under her chin for the rest of the stash. No, the other chin.
Old 04-10-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Makingsa lee ka bok bagthra, beeska chata wnow kong bantha poodoo!"

Please correct me if I misspelled anything...
Old 04-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by article
"People shouldn’t make fun of the situation when they don’t know the facts. She is a good person.”
Fact is she should be stealing vegetables.
Old 04-10-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Like stealing candy from for a [FAT] baby.
Old 04-10-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! First off she's 19 years old and out at 1am with a 7 week old baby. Second thing, her mom hasn't "been able to reach her in a week" yet she lives at her house? Oh that's right, but she's a good person. Who just happens to take her 7 week old newborn out at 1 am with her stupid friends to break in to a candy store (of all places) and commit a crime. Yep, you're right on the mark there mom, people shouldn't make fun of her. She's a real good person.

Sorry, I aint buyin' it. Mom, take care of your f'n teenager and raise her properly and then maybe she won't go out and get pregnant while still living in your house and feel the need to break into candy stores for her chocolate fix.
Old 04-10-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the "trail of candy wrappers" part.

I can picture it. They smash the window, fill the stroller with candy, and amble on down the street, eating candy and talking about sexy boy band members.
Old 04-11-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I love the "trail of candy wrappers" part.

I can picture it. They smash the window, fill the stroller with candy, and amble on down the street, eating candy and talking about sexy boy band members.
How else would they ever find their way back for more booty? Leaving the trail is the only morsel of intelligence I find in their scheme.
Old 04-11-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know what's worse, the above, or this:

Parents Fight Over Which Gang Toddler Should Join
Police: Mother A Crip, Father A Westside Baller

POSTED: 7:10 pm MDT April 10, 2008

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- A couple fighting about which gang their 4-year-old toddler should join caused a public disturbance that resulted in the father's arrest, Commerce City police said Thursday.

[More...]