Reload this Page >

Craigslist Question about posting ads

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-19-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried posting an ad on craigslist a few times to sell some dvds of mine. And it never showed up despite an email saying it was 'published' and in what section.

A friend of mine has also had a similar problem when she's tried posting an ad. So I was curious why ads may not show up once posted? This is my first time trying to use craiglist and it's a bit annoying. So if others had this same problem. Please let me know.
Old 03-19-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you published the ad after receiving the confirmation email?

Try refreshing the page after an hour or so. Sometimes it takes a while.
Old 03-19-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You may get more results* if you post it under "Casual Encounters".

* "Results" defined as "cock photos"
Old 03-19-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Even if you call them "roses" the vice police know you are a prostitute. The Oregonian broke that story.
Old 03-19-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell are "roses"?
Old 03-19-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Dollars, apparently.
Old 03-19-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it usually take 15 minutes or so for the ad to show up.
Old 03-19-08, 08:51 PM

usually it takes a little while for the ads to appear, even though you'll get an email with a direct link to your ad. you can always check on your stuff by logging into your account. Sometimes here, it won't show up for a bit, then I check a few hours later and it shows up. Good luck, be patient.
Old 03-19-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first time I did it, it looked like it was posted, but down at the bottom of the screen it said 'this is what your message would look like, click here if you really want to post it." Didn't do that the first time.
Old 03-21-08, 10:28 PM

I've seen that 'this is what your message' notice looks like when trying to post ad. And after clicking 'publish' and receiving email with link and everything. It was not showing up at all. I even checked over a couple days just in case and saw nothing. So I just went through email link and deleted it.

Anyway, my friends reposted the ad and now it showed up. So I don't know what's going on with the website.
Old 03-21-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the egos, ids, and alter egos of CL viewers and administrators, your ad might make it, or it might not.
Old 03-21-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Julie - this isn't about waiting 15 minutes and such. I've had several ads that did the same thing recently after years of never having a problem. I think CL has some kind of filter that won't publish ads for certain reasons.

For example, I posted something in Gigs, and if you use HTML in the ad, it won't show on the list despite it being "published". So I created a non-HTML version of the ad and it showed up. Within an hour, I edited it to add the HTML and the ad disappeared again.

You can go into the help forums and ask why your wording is causing your ad to not show up. It *might* help, or leave you more confused, too.
Old 03-21-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How many results* have you gotten?
Old 03-22-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you been selling wii's? This is something that's happened to me after having many ads flagged. I've found using a different email address helps. Also, I alternate posting from work or from home.

(I'm actually serious about the wii thing--people on wii reselling boards complain of this often. It seems to happen after a while . . . like some administrator or bot gets pissed because the wii ads get posted and flagged and posted and flagged . . . .)
Old 03-22-08, 02:13 AM

No Wii adds,just thought I'd give it a try to get rid of some dvds I was wanting to sell. I put them on ebay instead,since at least I know how that works.

So far craiglists confuses the hell out of me and yet it appears so simple on the surface.