Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-14-08, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I have mentioned some of the free things I have gotten due to the fact that my wife is a front end manager at (Sorry to say) Walmart.

Every 60 days my wife takes the Lost & Found to the local thrift store, but she always checks it first.

Needless to say, this week I now have a brand new Nintendo DS Lite, and a Brand new Apple 4g I-pod Nano Silver. Neither package had been opened.

I don't understand how this stuff can be left behind, but I am happy because I got about $300 worth of electronics this week.

Some of the other items in the past include.
1. Planet Earth HD-DVD Set
2. Nikon Digital Camera-looked it up and it was $250.00
3. Simpsons Season 1 DVD set
4. about $300-$400 worth of gift cards from various stores
5. Numerous cordless phones, brand new and in the box.
6. $50 cash in a old purse.

Last edited by trubiet; 03-14-08 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 03-14-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems odd that some of the items mentioned as being "brand new - never opened" are things sold at the very store they were "lost" at
Old 03-14-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trubiet
In the past I have mentioned some of the free things I have gotten due to the fact that my wife is a front end manager at (Sorry to say) Walmart.
I've always wondered if employees get a discount at The Walmarts?
Old 03-14-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
It seems odd that some of the items mentioned as being "brand new - never opened" are things sold at the very store they were "lost" at
Seconded
Old 03-14-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Just think, they had a good scam going and now that he just HAD to brag about it on the internet, the cops are going to find them.
Old 03-14-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for telling us all that your wife steals from her place of business. Which is the only possible way this can happen. Who says "I'm going to Wal-Mart and going to take my unopened Planet Earth HD-DVD set with me. Oops! I lost it!"
Old 03-14-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I've always wondered if employees get a discount at The Walmarts?

They get a 10% off discount card.

Of course it was a lot easier to steal before they put up those magnetic barriers you have to walk thru at the doors.
Old 03-14-08, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jdodd
Just think, they had a good scam going and now that he just HAD to brag about it on the internet, the cops are going to find them.

I know, it seems to unbelievable. Who in the world would leave these kind of items behind. I always ask my wife why they don't just add stuff like this to their inventory? She said that they check the item/count to make sure nothing is missing or stolen. Then they wait for 60 days to see if anyone claims the item, if not....She takes garbage bags full of stuff every two months. About 99% of it is all given to Goodwill.
Old 03-14-08, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Thanks for telling us all that your wife steals from her place of business. Which is the only possible way this can happen. Who says "I'm going to Wal-Mart and going to take my unopened Planet Earth HD-DVD set with me. Oops! I lost it!"
I didn't say everything was never opened.

Planet earth did have the cellophane removed. The camera had pictures on it. I would not start a post and brag about my wife being a thief. On another note, I fully agree that it makes absolutely no sense that people would "leave" these kind of items behind.
Old 03-14-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't say everything was never opened.

Planet earth did have the cellophane removed. The camera had pictures on it. I would not start a post and brag about my wife being a thief. On another note, I fully agree that it makes absolutely no sense that people would "leave" these kind of items behind.

Well I worked at Wal Mart for 4 years (shudder) and nothing like that ever happened.
Old 03-14-08, 11:41 AM

I just have to say. I thought at least one person would be like "hey that is awesome". Instead I get multiple insinuations that I or my wife are thieves.

Pretty shallow, you don't know me or my wife. What I posted is 100% truth. Pretty pathetic that some people automatically asume the worst. As I said in a previous post, I would not brag about stealing.

Thanks for the support! Give me a break.
Old 03-14-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

hey that is awesome
Old 03-14-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Give me a break.

Your story is like a bank manager saying "hey I found these bundles of hundred dollar bills in a garbage can at the bank!!"

What do you assume people are going to think?
Old 03-14-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hey that is awesome
Old 03-14-08, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
hey that is awesome

Thanks you made my day, since Mopower just wants to continue to be negative. I guess from now own we should second guess everything that anyone says.
Old 03-14-08, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower

Your story is like a bank manager saying "hey I found these bundles of hundred dollar bills in a garbage can at the bank!!"

What do you assume people are going to think?
Nice picture, but I still think you are being a douche. I hope I never post anything else you that you do not approve of.
Old 03-14-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks you made my day, since Mopower just wants to continue to be negative. I guess from now own we should second guess everything that anyone says.

I don't believe you mean that.
Old 03-14-08, 11:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suppose your wife tells Wal-Mart corporate management that she takes her pick of the Lost & Found items before they go to charity? That's an allowed company perk, right?
Old 03-14-08, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by X
I suppose you wife tells Wal-Mart corporate that she takes her pick of the Lost & Found items before they go to charity? That's an allowed company perk, right?
The store manager has designated her to "take" the bags away every two months. They don't say "Take it to this place or that". In a two month period there can be 4,5,6 bags full of mostly coats, hats, gloves, glasses,etc.

She has been there for six years and has a great track record. If we want to turn this into an attack on my wife, you might as well close the thread.

I did not expect everyone to be negative, but oh well. If this is how certain people want to form an opinion about my values then so be it.
Old 03-14-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, someone left an HDTV in the Lost and Found basket!
Old 03-14-08, 12:07 PM
X
Administrator

No attack on anyone. If she's doing the right thing she should be able to discuss it openly with corporate management. If not, then the answer is obvious.

I think they might have some serious concerns about their taxes with this kind of thing going on, but who knows? It's best to find out so they can add that particular line item to their financial reports and not just call it "shrinkage". And of course, they might need to pay withholding taxes on it...
Old 03-14-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The store manager has designated her to "take" the bags away every two months. They don't say "Take it to this place or that". In a two month period there can be 4,5,6 bags full of mostly coats, hats, gloves, glasses,etc.
So they say "Take these away. I never want to see them again!"

And your wife decides not to garage sale it all but instead to take some of it to charity?

hey that is awesome
Old 03-14-08, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
So they say "Take these away. I never want to see them again!"

And your wife decides not to garage sale it all but instead to take some of it to charity?

hey that is awesome
Pretty much all of it is given to goodwill. It goes to Goodwill and we do not take tax credit or a merchandise slip for any of it.

Tell me anyone would say... Oh there is an I-pod in here, I don't want that, I will give that away too.
Old 03-14-08, 12:13 PM
X
Administrator

Pretty much all of it is given to goodwill. It goes to Goodwill and we do not take tax credit or a merchandise slip for any of it.
It goes into "inventory shrinkage".

Of course if it were known to go to an employee it would become part of their compensation and need to be reported as such, just as anything else they give to employees. Any other method of handling it leaves them open to tax evasion/fraud charges.
Old 03-14-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

everything is given to goodwill.....except for that of value. I can't believe you don't even see how messed up such a thing is.

And it ain't luck. It's called stealing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.