Reload this Page >

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Old 03-14-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonw9
Uh yeah, using Scorcho as your defense really isn't helping your case!
Oh come on, it's not like I'm Canadian or anything!!
Old 03-14-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We don't know exactly what the store expects, we are only hearing that information second hand, so it's true we can't determine whether it's techinically "stealing" or abusive or not.

Bottom line is that you should ask the store manager and let us know what he/she says about it. If you are afraid to do so, then you are admitting that you think it's sketchy.

If you would like to find out without implicating yourself, please let us know which store this is and I'm sure someone will be happy to call and ask. They can even tell the manager that this is awesome.
Old 03-14-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Did I miss the part where the store manager and/or company either explicitly or implicity stated an intent to give the bags to charity?
No, they aren't posting here though.
Old 03-14-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh come on, it's not like I'm Canadian or anything!!
Old 03-14-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax

it would sound like it was your wife's duty to tell them that this stuff found its way into the lost and found, and then be placed back on the shelf for sale. to me it sounds like she could basically be fired for theft. she might not have actually stolent something, but she took something the company could have made money on. that should be a firing offense for cause in most states.
The company "could have" made money on them but via proxy of the store manager, opted not to.

I have a few theories as to what is really going on here, but i'll share them later.
I do too. Even though I'm defending the poster, I'm also taking his post prima facie. I am (and none of you are) in no position to know the full details of what is going on and should thus be only able to give our impressions on what is being reported. Anything else is just pure conjecture and adds no value.
Old 03-14-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
i apologize if this has already been asked, but if your wife was merely "finding" these new in box gadgets (ipod, nintendo ds lite), why wouldn't the store print a price tag on them and put them back on the shelf.

it would sound like it was your wife's duty to tell them that this stuff found its way into the lost and found, and then be placed back on the shelf for sale. to me it sounds like she could basically be fired for theft. she might not have actually stolent something, but she took something the company could have made money on. that should be a firing offense for cause in most states.

I have a few theories as to what is really going on here, but i'll share them later.
According to the OP, the store manager checks the inventory first to make sure that they can account for all these brand new in box items. From my personal retail experience, this would never happen. There are always errors in shipping/receiving and there are separate variance categories for these such instances. Not to mention, these items would never end up in a lost and found box to begin with. I mean, who takes a brand new still sealed ipod into wal mart to go shopping with? "Oooooh, look at the pretty box and the shiny shrink wrap, I would love to open it but it just looks so damn pretty."
Old 03-14-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Say a checker bagged everything, but the ipod wasn't in a bag yet. Customer in a hurry picks up the bags and leaves the ipod at the checkstand. Would that item go to lost and found?
Old 03-14-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being 100% in agreement with El Scorcho puts me in an ambiguous moral and psychological area. I'm afraid.

I do too. Even though I'm defending the poster, I'm also taking his post prima facie. I am (and none of you are) in no position to know the full details of what is going on and should thus be only able to give our impressions on what is being reported. Anything else is just pure conjecture and adds no value.
+1.

Old 03-14-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Say a checker bagged everything, but the ipod wasn't in a bag yet. Customer in a hurry picks up the bags and leaves the ipod at the checkstand. Would that item go to lost and found?

Even if that's the case would enough people do it to leave "bags and bags" of merchandise laying around? Would the buyer not come back later after going home and not finding their $300 ipod in the bag? Having worked in retail at a Wal Mart I don't buy the story. People leave jackets and sunglasses laying around not Nintendo DS's, Ipods and HD-DVD's. In packaging no less.

Inventory's can be manipulated to show whatever you want them to.
Old 03-14-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure anyone with a reasonable amount of common sense would tell you that it is the burden of the customer to make sure that they walk out of the store with the items indicated on their proof of purchase.

Some places would put it in the lost-n-found at that point. More savvy managers put it back on their shelves, as they now have the opportunity to sell a $200 item for (nearly) a $200 profit instead of their usual $10 profit.
Old 03-14-08, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Excuse me? You need to use a little stronger reading comprehension on my posts.
I know, I saw it and want to say thank you to multiple people..yourself included.
Old 03-14-08, 01:59 PM

Thos items get tagged and dated and left in customer service if they can't find the person before leaving the store.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
Even if that's the case would enough people do it to leave "bags and bags" of merchandise laying around?
There are bags and bags of stuff, not bags and bags of sealed merchandise. We're only talking about a few items here where my checkout scenario would come into play.

Clothes laying around, a toddler's dropped junk... I can easily see that amounting to bags and bags at a Wal-mart. I'm just trying to come up with how the sealed merchandise would end up there legitimately, and the checkout scenario is what I was curious about. It's really not a lot of stuff considering how many people Wal-Mart pushes through every day.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trubiet
Thos items get tagged and dated and left in customer service if they can't find the person before leaving the store.
Okay, then I guess I'm confused again.
Old 03-14-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's highly doubtful that the store manager is turning the entire contents of lost & found over to someone with the directive of "just get it out of here". If that was the case, it would go right in the dumpster out back.

Even if that were the case, there's NO way that Walmart itself would agree with that policy.
Old 03-14-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can almost guarantee that the manager is not telling an underling to "Get rid of those bags, however you want". No way. For one reason, if the stuff is just going to be trashed or donated, why wouldn't the manager themselves pick through and take the good stuff first? Number two, why not just trash them in the company dumpster? Number three, if the policy is to donate them, they would say, "Go donate those bags".

No, the clear answer is one of two things. Either the manager is throwing the OP's wife a bone and allowing her to take her pick of the lost and found items, or the OP's wife is doing it on the sly. Either way, it's probably against Wal-Mart policy. But who's breaking the policy is the question.

Bottom line, though, is that I don't think it's a crime, and isn't really hurting society, so who cares? I just wouldn't want to have to answer to the regional manager should they find out about it.
DVD Talk Hero

Damn it, Charlie, you snuck in while I was composing.
DVD Talk Hero

The question is simple, really. Does the store expect those items to go to good will or not?
Old 03-14-08, 02:27 PM

The question is simple, really. Does the store expect those items to go to good will or not?
Nope! For the 10th time. There is no directive, as to why they don't throw everything away, I really don't know.
Old 03-14-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. If it's all supposed to be donated, then there's a problem. If it's something else (which seems unlikely) then that's a whole different ball of wax.
Old 03-14-08, 02:28 PM

Okay, then I guess I'm confused again.
If someone pays for an item and leaves it at the register, it is documented with time/date and left in a Walmart bag pretty much forever.
Old 03-14-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If someone pays for an item and leaves it at the register, it is documented with time/date and left in a Walmart bag pretty much forever.
You should get your wife to bring home those bags, now that, would be awesome!
Old 03-14-08, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by John Galt
You should get your wife to bring home those bags, now that, would be awesome!

Then even I would call her a thief! It is amazing how blown out of proportion this whole thing has gotten. With the exception of a few people who read the post for face value.

On another note, anyone reading and replying while at work is technically stealing from their company right now. Shame on you! You could be working on something else.
Old 03-14-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then even I would call her a thief! It is amazing how blown out of proportion this whole thing has gotten. With the exception of a few people who read the post for face value.

On another note, anyone reading and replying while at work is technically stealing from their company right now. Shame on you! You could be working on something else.

Actually no. I wait around until something breaks then fix it. There isn't really anything else to do on a friday afternoon. Now if my boss had said "Hey why don't you go down to Good Will and help out" but instead I stayed on the computer then I'd be stealing. Or something.
Old 03-14-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, my manager told me I could go ahead and post on the Internet all day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.