Old 03-26-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Tarantino just won this thread
Old 03-26-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Bottom line, your wife is stealing from her company.
hey that is awesome
Old 03-26-08, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I worked in retail at a national clothing dept store, we maintained a strict log of lost items found with date and the person who found them recorded. After 30 days, two managers would sign the items out and then, in full view of the security cameras and with a witness, throw away every unclaimed item into the trash compactor. This results in zero theft or liability for goods. Expensive items such as cell phones, credit cards, mp3 players, etc were kept locked in the safe, cataloged in the same way, and disposed of in the same way, regardless of value. I know it's not the sort of thing that results in bragging on the internet, but just throwing in another voice questioning the OP's claims.
Old 03-26-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trubiet
Duh... I am open to my possibility because it is the truth.
I think you misread what I said about being open to <i>other</i> possibilities?
Old 03-26-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Galt
Tarantino just won this thread
he may have won this thread but he sure loses at life

I wish mine was so desolate and bleak that I had nothing better to do than to call around out-of-state walmarts trying to win an internet argument

pathetic.
Old 03-26-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, pathetic. It took me all of <i>maybe</i> ten minutes to look up the WalMarts near Green Bay (thanks, Yahoo) and call them up.

Not really a whole days labor. More like, a few minutes of curiosity and boredom after I'd gotten home from work and before I wanted to make dinner.

= J
Old 03-27-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So...I called both WalMarts in your area, trubiet (Green Bay, Wisconsin, right?).

(920) 499-9897 - West Mason St.
(920) 465-1333 - Main St.

I was transferred to the guest services desks while asking about the lost and found. Here's what they told me:

Items of value (such as a Nikon digital camera, which I said I'd 'misplaced' at their store) are put in the accounting office, and don't leave until someone comes in and claims them. No 60 days, no goodwill, nothing. Oh, and if something had the wrapper on it, which I asked about (yes, an HD-DVD set of Planet Earth), it'd be absorbed into the store inventory after a few days. The clothes are 'discarded' after about a month or so (what that means, who knows...trash, goodwill, could be anything). When I asked both nice ladies if any employees were able to take things home from the lost and found, they both replied that it would in fact, be stealing.

Both stores told me the same thing and had the same procedure (which, coincidentally enough, is the same policy the 'big box' retailers I work for use).

= J
This is what the video game geeks refer to as being pwned.

So, I can't wait for the "my wife is stealing from her employer, what should I do?" sequel to this thread.
Old 03-27-08, 08:29 AM

So...I called both WalMarts in your area, trubiet (Green Bay, Wisconsin, right?).

I was transferred to the guest services desks while asking about the lost and found. Here's what they told me:

Items of value (such as a Nikon digital camera, which I said I'd 'misplaced' at their store) are put in the accounting office, and don't leave until someone comes in and claims them. No 60 days, no goodwill, nothing. Oh, and if something had the wrapper on it, which I asked about (yes, an HD-DVD set of Planet Earth), it'd be absorbed into the store inventory after a few days. The clothes are 'discarded' after about a month or so (what that means, who knows...trash, goodwill, could be anything). When I asked both nice ladies if any employees were able to take things home from the lost and found, they both replied that it would in fact, be stealing.

Both stores told me the same thing and had the same procedure (which, coincidentally enough, is the same policy the 'big box' retailers I work for use).

= J
WOW! You must either take this very personally or you just have time on your hands. At least I feel better knowing that you care this much....not. And no, my wife is not stealing.
Old 03-27-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW! You must either take this very personally or you just have time on your hands. At least I feel better knowing that you care this much....not. And no, my wife is not stealing.

So Wal-Mart is lying about it?
Old 03-27-08, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
When I worked in retail at a national clothing dept store, we maintained a strict log of lost items found with date and the person who found them recorded. After 30 days, two managers would sign the items out and then, in full view of the security cameras and with a witness, throw away every unclaimed item into the trash compactor. This results in zero theft or liability for goods. Expensive items such as cell phones, credit cards, mp3 players, etc were kept locked in the safe, cataloged in the same way, and disposed of in the same way, regardless of value. I know it's not the sort of thing that results in bragging on the internet, but just throwing in another voice questioning the OP's claims.
Yes, different stores within a chain can have different policy. Although I do agree that it may not be corporate policy based upon Tarantino wasting his time.
Old 03-27-08, 08:35 AM

Yes, pathetic. It took me all of <i>maybe</i> ten minutes to look up the WalMarts near Green Bay (thanks, Yahoo) and call them up.

Not really a whole days labor. More like, a few minutes of curiosity and boredom after I'd gotten home from work and before I wanted to make dinner.

= J
No, I think this has obviously been eating away at you and you just couldn't take it anymore.
Old 03-27-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I think this has obviously been eating away at you and you just couldn't take it anymore.

He did 10 min of work and got the answer. Big deal. I waste more time than that everyday just flipping through channels on the tv.

He proved that there was a pretty good chance your wive was stealing. Im not saying she absolutely was or that she didn't realize that she was. Bottom line is that odds are in favor that she was stealing.
Old 03-27-08, 08:51 AM

Dashed. I was being facetious.
Old 03-27-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

= J

Now that is awesome.....

Old 03-27-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I think you misread what I said about being open to <i>other</i> possibilities?

for about the 40th time this thread. anyone who says or dares to question or not high five the hot loot is an asshole (or dick in my case.....which was totally hilarious and original)
Old 03-27-08, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat

Now that is awesome.....

Not the HOFF, anything but the Hoff.
Old 03-27-08, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
for about the 40th time this thread. anyone who says or dares to question or not high five the hot loot is an asshole (or dick in my case.....which was totally hilarious and original)
I think you misread what I said about being open to other possibilities?

I've said I was open to other possibilities and have said that I can see other peoples points. It does not mean I have to agree with it.

"The dick thing was pretty good, thank you"
Old 03-27-08, 09:43 AM

BTW Just to clarify.

Some of the other items in the past include.

1. Planet Earth HD-DVD Set Disc set was open, no cellophane. Kept it!

2. Nikon Digital Camera-looked it up and it was $250.00 Not boxed, had pics on it, was at store for at least 90 days. Given to Goodwill-Already have a Sony 6.0 Megapix

3. Simpsons Season 1 DVD set Disc set was open, no cellophane. Kept it!

4. about $300-$400 worth of gift cards from various stores. In L&F for 60-90 days in a old purse, no ID. Kept them!

5. Numerous cordless phones, brand new and in the box. Had been opened, looked new. 2 or 3 in a box over the last 5-6 years. All given to Goodwill.

6. $50 cash in a old purse. No ID. Kept it! I guess I should have given the cash away.
Old 03-27-08, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
he may have won this thread but he sure loses at life

I wish mine was so desolate and bleak that I had nothing better to do than to call around out-of-state walmarts trying to win an internet argument

pathetic.
No, your life is so pathetic that you have nothing better to do than to post on this board, just like the rest of us.
Old 03-27-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always enjoy it when someone with 233 posts in 3 years takes one of those rare opportunities to try to slam me (and yet fails miserably).
Old 03-27-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

= J
You still took time out of your personal life to win an internet argument, whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.

But hey, you're the idol of the geeks for a day, so whatever floats your boat I guess.
Old 03-27-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You still took time out of your personal life to win an internet argument, whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.

But hey, you're the idol of the geeks for a day, so whatever floats your boat I guess.
I like how you're on both sides of the argument. Hedging your bets, eh?
Old 03-27-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
So Wal-Mart is lying about it?
Well, from what Tarantino posted, doesn't look like he spoke to a store manager. He spoke to the people at the customer service desk. They don't run the store. From my recollection of the original post, the OP said the store manager was the person that authorized the deal. I could be wrong, but that's how I recall. So, not really quite being owned, especially since he's not speaking to the people that are in charge.
Old 03-27-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keep going. You're almost up to 10 minutes yourself.
Old 03-27-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keep going. You're almost up to 10 minutes yourself.

I'm at work. Completely different! Big difference between wasting my own time and wasting my company's.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.