Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Other Talk "Otterville"

I am having one lucky week! YMMV

Old 03-26-08, 09:36 PM
  #251  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Galt's Gulch
Posts: 2,736
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Tarantino just won this thread
John Galt is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 10:07 PM
  #252  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,774
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarantino
Bottom line, your wife is stealing from her company.
hey that is awesome
stevevt is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 10:34 PM
  #253  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 810
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I worked in retail at a national clothing dept store, we maintained a strict log of lost items found with date and the person who found them recorded. After 30 days, two managers would sign the items out and then, in full view of the security cameras and with a witness, throw away every unclaimed item into the trash compactor. This results in zero theft or liability for goods. Expensive items such as cell phones, credit cards, mp3 players, etc were kept locked in the safe, cataloged in the same way, and disposed of in the same way, regardless of value. I know it's not the sort of thing that results in bragging on the internet, but just throwing in another voice questioning the OP's claims.
domino harvey is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 10:48 PM
  #254  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,438
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trubiet
Duh... I am open to my possibility because it is the truth.
I think you misread what I said about being open to <i>other</i> possibilities?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 11:16 PM
  #255  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Galt
Tarantino just won this thread
he may have won this thread but he sure loses at life

I wish mine was so desolate and bleak that I had nothing better to do than to call around out-of-state walmarts trying to win an internet argument

pathetic.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-26-08, 11:23 PM
  #256  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,805
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post


Yes, pathetic. It took me all of <i>maybe</i> ten minutes to look up the WalMarts near Green Bay (thanks, Yahoo) and call them up.

Not really a whole days labor. More like, a few minutes of curiosity and boredom after I'd gotten home from work and before I wanted to make dinner.

= J
Tarantino is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 01:38 AM
  #257  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
argh923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Muncie, IN [Member formerly known as abrg923]
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...I called both WalMarts in your area, trubiet (Green Bay, Wisconsin, right?).

(920) 499-9897 - West Mason St.
(920) 465-1333 - Main St.

I was transferred to the guest services desks while asking about the lost and found. Here's what they told me:

Items of value (such as a Nikon digital camera, which I said I'd 'misplaced' at their store) are put in the accounting office, and don't leave until someone comes in and claims them. No 60 days, no goodwill, nothing. Oh, and if something had the wrapper on it, which I asked about (yes, an HD-DVD set of Planet Earth), it'd be absorbed into the store inventory after a few days. The clothes are 'discarded' after about a month or so (what that means, who knows...trash, goodwill, could be anything). When I asked both nice ladies if any employees were able to take things home from the lost and found, they both replied that it would in fact, be stealing.

Both stores told me the same thing and had the same procedure (which, coincidentally enough, is the same policy the 'big box' retailers I work for use).

Bottom line, your wife is stealing from her company.

= J
This is what the video game geeks refer to as being pwned.

So, I can't wait for the "my wife is stealing from her employer, what should I do?" sequel to this thread.
argh923 is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:29 AM
  #258  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...I called both WalMarts in your area, trubiet (Green Bay, Wisconsin, right?).

(920) 499-9897 - West Mason St.
(920) 465-1333 - Main St.

I was transferred to the guest services desks while asking about the lost and found. Here's what they told me:

Items of value (such as a Nikon digital camera, which I said I'd 'misplaced' at their store) are put in the accounting office, and don't leave until someone comes in and claims them. No 60 days, no goodwill, nothing. Oh, and if something had the wrapper on it, which I asked about (yes, an HD-DVD set of Planet Earth), it'd be absorbed into the store inventory after a few days. The clothes are 'discarded' after about a month or so (what that means, who knows...trash, goodwill, could be anything). When I asked both nice ladies if any employees were able to take things home from the lost and found, they both replied that it would in fact, be stealing.

Both stores told me the same thing and had the same procedure (which, coincidentally enough, is the same policy the 'big box' retailers I work for use).

Bottom line, your wife is stealing from her company.

= J
WOW! You must either take this very personally or you just have time on your hands. At least I feel better knowing that you care this much....not. And no, my wife is not stealing.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:33 AM
  #259  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trubiet
WOW! You must either take this very personally or you just have time on your hands. At least I feel better knowing that you care this much....not. And no, my wife is not stealing.

So Wal-Mart is lying about it?
Mopower is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:34 AM
  #260  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by domino harvey
When I worked in retail at a national clothing dept store, we maintained a strict log of lost items found with date and the person who found them recorded. After 30 days, two managers would sign the items out and then, in full view of the security cameras and with a witness, throw away every unclaimed item into the trash compactor. This results in zero theft or liability for goods. Expensive items such as cell phones, credit cards, mp3 players, etc were kept locked in the safe, cataloged in the same way, and disposed of in the same way, regardless of value. I know it's not the sort of thing that results in bragging on the internet, but just throwing in another voice questioning the OP's claims.
Yes, different stores within a chain can have different policy. Although I do agree that it may not be corporate policy based upon Tarantino wasting his time.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:35 AM
  #261  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino


Yes, pathetic. It took me all of <i>maybe</i> ten minutes to look up the WalMarts near Green Bay (thanks, Yahoo) and call them up.

Not really a whole days labor. More like, a few minutes of curiosity and boredom after I'd gotten home from work and before I wanted to make dinner.

= J
No, I think this has obviously been eating away at you and you just couldn't take it anymore.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:47 AM
  #262  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 1,340
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
No, I think this has obviously been eating away at you and you just couldn't take it anymore.

He did 10 min of work and got the answer. Big deal. I waste more time than that everyday just flipping through channels on the tv.

He proved that there was a pretty good chance your wive was stealing. Im not saying she absolutely was or that she didn't realize that she was. Bottom line is that odds are in favor that she was stealing.
Dash is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 08:51 AM
  #263  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
No, I think this has obviously been eating away at you and you just couldn't take it anymore.

Dashed. I was being facetious.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:13 AM
  #264  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,749
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...I called both WalMarts in your area, trubiet (Green Bay, Wisconsin, right?).

(920) 499-9897 - West Mason St.
(920) 465-1333 - Main St.

I was transferred to the guest services desks while asking about the lost and found. Here's what they told me:

Items of value (such as a Nikon digital camera, which I said I'd 'misplaced' at their store) are put in the accounting office, and don't leave until someone comes in and claims them. No 60 days, no goodwill, nothing. Oh, and if something had the wrapper on it, which I asked about (yes, an HD-DVD set of Planet Earth), it'd be absorbed into the store inventory after a few days. The clothes are 'discarded' after about a month or so (what that means, who knows...trash, goodwill, could be anything). When I asked both nice ladies if any employees were able to take things home from the lost and found, they both replied that it would in fact, be stealing.

Both stores told me the same thing and had the same procedure (which, coincidentally enough, is the same policy the 'big box' retailers I work for use).

Bottom line, your wife is stealing from her company.

= J






Now that is awesome.....


Minor Threat is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:20 AM
  #265  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I think you misread what I said about being open to <i>other</i> possibilities?

for about the 40th time this thread. anyone who says or dares to question or not high five the hot loot is an asshole (or dick in my case.....which was totally hilarious and original)
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:31 AM
  #266  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minor Threat





Now that is awesome.....



Not the HOFF, anything but the Hoff.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:34 AM
  #267  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
for about the 40th time this thread. anyone who says or dares to question or not high five the hot loot is an asshole (or dick in my case.....which was totally hilarious and original)
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I think you misread what I said about being open to other possibilities?


I've said I was open to other possibilities and have said that I can see other peoples points. It does not mean I have to agree with it.

"The dick thing was pretty good, thank you"
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:43 AM
  #268  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW Just to clarify.

Some of the other items in the past include.

1. Planet Earth HD-DVD Set Disc set was open, no cellophane. Kept it!

2. Nikon Digital Camera-looked it up and it was $250.00 Not boxed, had pics on it, was at store for at least 90 days. Given to Goodwill-Already have a Sony 6.0 Megapix

3. Simpsons Season 1 DVD set Disc set was open, no cellophane. Kept it!

4. about $300-$400 worth of gift cards from various stores. In L&F for 60-90 days in a old purse, no ID. Kept them!

5. Numerous cordless phones, brand new and in the box. Had been opened, looked new. 2 or 3 in a box over the last 5-6 years. All given to Goodwill.

6. $50 cash in a old purse. No ID. Kept it! I guess I should have given the cash away.
trubiet is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 09:53 AM
  #269  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 469
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
he may have won this thread but he sure loses at life

I wish mine was so desolate and bleak that I had nothing better to do than to call around out-of-state walmarts trying to win an internet argument

pathetic.
No, your life is so pathetic that you have nothing better to do than to post on this board, just like the rest of us.
foggy is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:37 PM
  #270  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always enjoy it when someone with 233 posts in 3 years takes one of those rare opportunities to try to slam me (and yet fails miserably).
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:39 PM
  #271  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarantino


Yes, pathetic. It took me all of <i>maybe</i> ten minutes to look up the WalMarts near Green Bay (thanks, Yahoo) and call them up.

Not really a whole days labor. More like, a few minutes of curiosity and boredom after I'd gotten home from work and before I wanted to make dinner.

= J
You still took time out of your personal life to win an internet argument, whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.

But hey, you're the idol of the geeks for a day, so whatever floats your boat I guess.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:45 PM
  #272  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,904
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
You still took time out of your personal life to win an internet argument, whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.

But hey, you're the idol of the geeks for a day, so whatever floats your boat I guess.
I like how you're on both sides of the argument. Hedging your bets, eh?
The Bus is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:46 PM
  #273  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,844
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
So Wal-Mart is lying about it?
Well, from what Tarantino posted, doesn't look like he spoke to a store manager. He spoke to the people at the customer service desk. They don't run the store. From my recollection of the original post, the OP said the store manager was the person that authorized the deal. I could be wrong, but that's how I recall. So, not really quite being owned, especially since he's not speaking to the people that are in charge.
Deftones is online now  
Old 03-27-08, 12:47 PM
  #274  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,438
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
You still took time out of your personal life to win an internet argument, whether it was 10 minutes or 10 hours.
Keep going. You're almost up to 10 minutes yourself.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 03-27-08, 12:52 PM
  #275  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,626
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Keep going. You're almost up to 10 minutes yourself.

I'm at work. Completely different! Big difference between wasting my own time and wasting my company's.
El Scorcho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.