Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

8th Grader Busted in School for Buying a Bag of...Skittles

Old 03-13-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8th Grader Busted in School for Buying a Bag of...Skittles

link

Conn. Student Suspended For Buying Candy In School
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) ― The New Haven schools superintendent said Wednesday that he will review a principal's decision to suspend an eighth-grade student for buying candy in school.

Michael Sheridan was stripped of his title as class vice president, barred from attending an honors student dinner and suspended for a day after buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate.

The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy, said school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo.

Shelli Sheridan, Michael's mother, told the New Haven Register that he is a top student with no previous disciplinary problems.

"It's too much. It's too unfair," she said. "He's never even had a detention."

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said Wednesday that Sheridan Middle School principal Eleanor Turner just wanted to keep students safe.

He said she warned students repeatedly after the school experienced a rash of candy sales in the fall. There were also worries about those selling the candy, especially after a student's wallet was stolen on the bus.

"She had concerns about the safety of students carrying large amounts of cash in school," Mayo said. "The question is, was the punishment too harsh? That's something we need to evaluate."

Mayo said he hopes to resolve the situation quickly. Michael's suspension has been reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.

He said he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice that the student selling the Skittles on Feb. 26 was being secretive.

An administrator busted Michael with the candy in his pocket. His mother says the student who sold him the Skittles out of a lunch box was also suspended.

A copy of the district's policy states that "no candy or junk food fundraisers will be allowed on school grounds" and that only healthy snacks will be sold in vending machines.

The policy also prohibits bake sales and other food sales during school hours. The policy does not say anything about students sharing snacks when no money is exchanged.
This is just beyond fucked up. When I was in school, there was no rule about buying candy. Plus this kid sounded like he had never been in trouble, and was a pretty smart kid. I bet the parents sue the school.
Old 03-13-08, 10:52 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Candy is a killer. Good for the principal.
Old 03-13-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dieinafire
This is just beyond fucked up. .
No way dude, the school was right on target. "Skittles" are a gateway candy. Next time, it'll be "M&Ms". Or worse, maybe even "Pez," or perhaps "Fun Dip," possibly the least sanitary candy ever invented. It could all lead down the slippary slope towards the ultimate gateway candy-- Big League Chew.
Old 03-13-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just read about this elsewhere. Beat me to posting a thread about it.

It is truly insane how much power parents have ceded to school districts when it comes to their children by allowing these ridiculous zero tolerance policies to continue unabated.

Thank fucking goodness that I went to school at a time when the country wasn't obsessed with being a nanny state.
Old 03-13-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in: it is no longer allowed for little girls to be made of sugar and spice. The two main ingredients are now to be replaced with soy and tofu.
Old 03-13-08, 11:08 AM
Suspended

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance policies.
Old 03-13-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dave7393
No way dude, the school was right on target. "Skittles" are a gateway candy. Next time, it'll be "M&Ms". Or worse, maybe even "Pez," or perhaps "Fun Dip," possibly the least sanitary candy ever invented. It could all lead down the slippary slope towards the ultimate gateway candy-- Big League Chew.
Old 03-13-08, 11:30 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance policies.
Old 03-13-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Inner-city schools wish their problems were more like this one.
Old 03-13-08, 11:48 AM

Speaking of Fun Dip, I dared a kid to snort the power once, just like those Pixie Stix. Nowadays, they would have had me arrested for it.
Old 03-13-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<object width="464" height="388" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=46ac42c7a5" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><embed width="464" height="388" flashvars="key=46ac42c7a5" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" src="http://www2.funnyordie.com/public/flash/fodplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object><noscript>Candy: The Gateway Drug on FunnyOrDie.com</noscript>
Old 03-13-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what's wrong with America -- some innocent kid who just wants to experiment with Skittles gets stuck in detention with real juvenile delinquents who teach him how to pull real shenanigans, then when he gets out he's a hardened reprobate. Is it any wonder our detention halls are full to the brim.
Old 03-13-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck Skittles! Starburst is the money candy.
Old 03-13-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Skittles is the new dime bag
Old 03-13-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dieinafire

Speaking of Fun Dip, I dared a kid to snort the power once, just like those Pixie Stix. Nowadays, they would have had me arrested for it.
Fun Dip; it's literally three different pouches of flavored sugar, extracted via a saliva-moistened sugar stick, thus requiring the prohibited practice (among adults, anyway) of "double dipping" (two sticks are included with each package for sharing purposes). My son loves it-- not that I let him have it more than once about every six months.
Old 03-13-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn hooligan!

I miss the days when children were smokin' crack, drinking in the parking lot, and doing meth. Skittles?
Old 03-13-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"She had concerns about the safety of students carrying large amounts of cash in school,"
large amounts of cash selling candy eh?

"I'll give you 50 for two packs"

So it is true, candy is a "gateway", they got drug dealers in the making there and i applaud the school administration for noticing it in the early stages and dealing with it in an effective manner.
Old 03-13-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Schools are for education. It is not their job to see that children eat healthy, exercise, or have safe sex.

To educate children, you need a certain degree of order, and sober children.

Beyond that, is none of the school's business.
Old 03-13-08, 02:57 PM

I got busted in 5th grade ('86-'87) for selling candy to other students. The teacher who busted me was flaming pissed because he said kids were using their lunch money to buy my candy rather than the healthy cafeteria food.

My sister and 2 neighbors were also involved, but I didn't rat them out. We got away with it for over 2 months and were using our profits to buy Nintendo games.

Sitting in the principal's office with my mom I was asked to provide details of my operation. I explained that I would buy a bunch of candy every morning on my way to school when my mom would stop at the little grocery store near our house and then sale the candy to other kids at a higher amount. The principal then asked for specifics of my profit margins, which were as follows:
  • 5 purchase = 25 sale
  • 10 purchase = 25 sale
  • 25 puchase = 50 sale
  • 40 purchase = $1.00 sale
I explained that I would also watch store ads for candy bar sales and often picked up Big Hunks and Snickers for 20-25 each and sale them for $1.00.

The principal then asked me how business was going, and I told her that I was having a hard time keeping the 10 items in stock because kids saw them as the best bargain at only 25.

She then said, with a big smile on her face, "While I admire your entrepreneurial spirit, I cannot allow you to continue selling candy at school." She handed me my bag of candy, coins, and cash and sent me back to class. That was it! No suspension. No detention. A simple "Cease and Disist" order and nothing more.

When I got home from school that afternoon, my mom just looked at me and started laughing. She told me that after I left the principal's office, the principal told her that she wished she didn't have to stop my operation but knew it wouldn't be long before other parents were up in arms about it. She then said she was tired of parents expecting the school to teach their kids simple concepts like don't use your lunch money to buy candy.
Old 03-13-08, 03:03 PM

Obviously a case of the punishment being far too harsh for the crime. Sounds like a good kid, who broke a rule, and the punishment should fit that.
Old 03-13-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He said she warned students repeatedly after the school experienced a rash of candy sales in the fall.
Sounds serious...
Old 03-13-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I would eat Fun Dip, I'd always use just once stick for all three flavors so I could save one stick for afterwards. The stick itself was pretty good, although it always seemed better after having just eaten all the "dip".
Old 03-13-08, 03:33 PM

Looks like they gave in already.

Conn. school backs off candy punishment Thu Mar 13, 8:16 AM ET

An eighth-grade honors student who was suspended for a day, barred from attending an honors dinner and stripped of his title as class vice president after he was caught with contraband candy in school will get his student council post back, school officials said.

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael Sheridan's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his post.

Michael was disciplined after he was caught buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate. The classmate's suspension also will be expunged, school officials said.

The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy, school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said.

"I am sorry this has happened," Turner said in a statement. "My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut mastery test."

Turner said she should have reinforced in writing the verbal warnings against candy transactions.

Michael had said that he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice that the student selling the Skittles on Feb. 26 was being secretive.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/...s_suspension_6
Old 03-13-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, what a ridiculous story. I remember selling candy in elementary school as a kid. Atomic fireballs were my biggest seller. People couldn't buy enough, which was odd because half the time they were too hot for them to even eat.

With all the drugs and violence kids have to deal with in schools these days you'd think candy would be so low on the totem pole that no one even bothered enforcing rules like this.
Old 03-13-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
So it is true, candy is a "gateway", they got drug dealers in the making there and i applaud the school administration for noticing it in the early stages and dealing with it in an effective manner.
Or future Starbucks Baristas

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement late Wednesday that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with student Michael Sheridan's parents and that Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his post.
Yea, Principal Eleanor Turner made the decision

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.