Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

This American Life is looking for people named "John Smith"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This American Life (Ira Glass / NPR) is doing a radio show about people named John Smith. I listen to their podcasts each week and after last week’s podcast was the following announcement:
…We’re doing this huge story about people named John Smith and we’re looking for more John Smiths. Especially, babies, kids, young people, a John Smith looking for a job, or thinking about what college to go to, but truthfully, any age, any race, if you are a John Smith or you know a good John Smith, email us please at [email protected] and say a sentence or two about your John Smith. And thanks. I think that this is going to be a really special story, again [email protected] and we’ve even created a toll free number for this
800-463-4505 which spells absolutely nothing. It doesn’t spell a thing, don’t try to spell anything with it, it doesn’t spell John Smith, whatever. [email protected], 800-463-4505, and thanks for your help.
Anyway, just thought I'd toss this out, I figured that with a group this big there's bound to be somebody named John Smith who may want to have his voice heard on a radio program.
They didn't give a deadline
Old 02-21-08, 11:12 AM

I have actually never met a John Smith before.
Old 02-21-08, 11:16 AM

My name is Pocahontas. Think they'd want to here from me?
Old 02-21-08, 11:19 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I knew a John Smith, but he changed his name to FistingHurts.
Old 02-21-08, 12:07 PM

My dad (and his dad too) is named John Smith, but I don't think he'd be interested.
Old 02-21-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I knew a girl named Yaz Pistachio, why no love for Yaz?
Old 02-21-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.
Old 02-21-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why don't they just look in a phone book?
Old 02-22-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used the alias "Jon Smith" when I worked in a call center. But I guess they only care about the stupid spelling with the 'h'....
Old 02-22-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like a call center job is a good stepping stone to a career in exotic dancing.
Old 02-22-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emanon
Sounds like a call center job is a good stepping stone to a career in exotic dancing.
Indeed it was!
Old 02-22-08, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.
I pretty much feel the same way. He's like that smug jackass you get stuck behind at Starbucks who over-explains his coffee order to the barista.
Old 02-22-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I"m almost 100% sure he uses a Mac and drives a Volvo.
Old 02-22-08, 08:24 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I know a Jon Smith. He was one of my roomates in college. We always played a ton of EA Sports games. After he graduated, he took a job in Virginia and met a girl up there.

Here's the odd part. He had to actually court the girl according to her family's rules. That means that they couldn't be on any date without another family member present. They couldn't even talk on the phone with another family member listening in. No intimate physical contact obviously until they were married either. I think that ruled out kissing as well.

So he proposed to her and you can bet that I drove five hours to attend the wedding purely out of curiosity. The service was strange to say the least. Her dad got up in the middle of the whole thing to make a speech which really didn't fit the context of the ceremony and Jon/girl sang a song to each other during the ceremony. Neither of them are vocalists.

The afterparty was pretty normal and I got a chance to shoot the shit with some people I knew. The next day I heard back from a friend that the newly married couple spent most of their wedding night in their respective parent's hotel rooms as they were all staying in the same hotel. Why they weren't ripping each other's clothes off in their own hotel room I'll never know.

Last edited by Flay; 02-22-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 08:51 AM

Wow, flay. That guy should definitely call in.
Old 02-22-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 02-22-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Heat must be white, listening to NPR and all.

Yeah, Ira Glass does have that smug tone down. Daniel Schorr's voice almost makes me change the station. Strangely enough, even with her condition, I find Diane Rehm's voice soothing.
Old 02-22-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
I know a Jon Smith. He was one of my roomates in college. We always played a ton of EA Sports games. After he graduated, he took a job in Virginia and met a girl up there.

Here's the odd part. He had to actually court the girl according to her family's rules. That means that they couldn't be on any date without another family member present. They couldn't even talk on the phone with another family member listening in. No intimate physical contact obviously until they were married either. I think that ruled out kissing as well.

So he proposed to her and you can bet that I drove five hours to attend the wedding purely out of curiosity. The service was strange to say the least. Her dad got up in the middle of the whole thing to make a speech which really didn't fit the context of the ceremony and Jon/girl sang a song to each other during the ceremony. Neither of them are vocalists.

The afterparty was pretty normal and I got a chance to shoot the shit with some people I knew. The next day I heard back from a friend that the newly married couple spent most of their wedding night in their respective parent's hotel rooms as they were all staying in the same hotel. Why they weren't ripping each other's clothes off in their own hotel room I'll never know.
That's absolutely crazy. Who in the fuck would go through all that shit?
Old 02-22-08, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Heat must be white, listening to NPR and all...
I've also had a Macintosh and a Volvo...