Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

This American Life is looking for people named "John Smith"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

This American Life is looking for people named "John Smith"

Old 02-21-08, 10:42 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
This American Life is looking for people named "John Smith"

This American Life (Ira Glass / NPR) is doing a radio show about people named John Smith. I listen to their podcasts each week and after last week’s podcast was the following announcement:
…We’re doing this huge story about people named John Smith and we’re looking for more John Smiths. Especially, babies, kids, young people, a John Smith looking for a job, or thinking about what college to go to, but truthfully, any age, any race, if you are a John Smith or you know a good John Smith, email us please at [email protected] and say a sentence or two about your John Smith. And thanks. I think that this is going to be a really special story, again [email protected] and we’ve even created a toll free number for this
800-463-4505 which spells absolutely nothing. It doesn’t spell a thing, don’t try to spell anything with it, it doesn’t spell John Smith, whatever. [email protected], 800-463-4505, and thanks for your help.
Anyway, just thought I'd toss this out, I figured that with a group this big there's bound to be somebody named John Smith who may want to have his voice heard on a radio program.
They didn't give a deadline
Heat is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 11:12 AM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
I have actually never met a John Smith before.
Jadzia is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 11:16 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,531
My name is Pocahontas. Think they'd want to here from me?
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 11:19 AM
  #4  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 32,743
I knew a John Smith, but he changed his name to FistingHurts.
Bandoman is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 12:07 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 353
My dad (and his dad too) is named John Smith, but I don't think he'd be interested.
emptysky is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 02:21 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Valley of Megiddo
Posts: 9,569
I knew a girl named Yaz Pistachio, why no love for Yaz?
Lateralus is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 03:36 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,438
There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.
slop101 is offline  
Old 02-21-08, 09:21 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,108
Why don't they just look in a phone book?
movieguru is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 07:04 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
I used the alias "Jon Smith" when I worked in a call center. But I guess they only care about the stupid spelling with the 'h'....
jonw9 is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 07:36 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 5,763
Sounds like a call center job is a good stepping stone to a career in exotic dancing.
emanon is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 08:16 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,867
Originally Posted by emanon
Sounds like a call center job is a good stepping stone to a career in exotic dancing.
Indeed it was!
jonw9 is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 08:22 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,531
Originally Posted by slop101
There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.
I pretty much feel the same way. He's like that smug jackass you get stuck behind at Starbucks who over-explains his coffee order to the barista.
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 08:23 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by slop101
There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.

I"m almost 100% sure he uses a Mac and drives a Volvo.
Mopower is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 08:24 AM
  #14  
Video Game Talk Editor
 
Flay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Westchester, Los Angeles
Posts: 4,097
I know a Jon Smith. He was one of my roomates in college. We always played a ton of EA Sports games. After he graduated, he took a job in Virginia and met a girl up there.

Here's the odd part. He had to actually court the girl according to her family's rules. That means that they couldn't be on any date without another family member present. They couldn't even talk on the phone with another family member listening in. No intimate physical contact obviously until they were married either. I think that ruled out kissing as well.

So he proposed to her and you can bet that I drove five hours to attend the wedding purely out of curiosity. The service was strange to say the least. Her dad got up in the middle of the whole thing to make a speech which really didn't fit the context of the ceremony and Jon/girl sang a song to each other during the ceremony. Neither of them are vocalists.

The afterparty was pretty normal and I got a chance to shoot the shit with some people I knew. The next day I heard back from a friend that the newly married couple spent most of their wedding night in their respective parent's hotel rooms as they were all staying in the same hotel. Why they weren't ripping each other's clothes off in their own hotel room I'll never know.

Last edited by Flay; 02-22-08 at 08:26 AM.
Flay is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 08:51 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,531
Wow, flay. That guy should definitely call in.
Groucho is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 09:30 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 2,344
Originally Posted by slop101
There's something about Ira Glass' voice and tone that throws me into a fit of rage.
Luther Heggs is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 10:51 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,069
Heat must be white, listening to NPR and all.

Yeah, Ira Glass does have that smug tone down. Daniel Schorr's voice almost makes me change the station. Strangely enough, even with her condition, I find Diane Rehm's voice soothing.
AGuyNamedMike is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 04:48 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 3,879
Originally Posted by Flay
I know a Jon Smith. He was one of my roomates in college. We always played a ton of EA Sports games. After he graduated, he took a job in Virginia and met a girl up there.

Here's the odd part. He had to actually court the girl according to her family's rules. That means that they couldn't be on any date without another family member present. They couldn't even talk on the phone with another family member listening in. No intimate physical contact obviously until they were married either. I think that ruled out kissing as well.

So he proposed to her and you can bet that I drove five hours to attend the wedding purely out of curiosity. The service was strange to say the least. Her dad got up in the middle of the whole thing to make a speech which really didn't fit the context of the ceremony and Jon/girl sang a song to each other during the ceremony. Neither of them are vocalists.

The afterparty was pretty normal and I got a chance to shoot the shit with some people I knew. The next day I heard back from a friend that the newly married couple spent most of their wedding night in their respective parent's hotel rooms as they were all staying in the same hotel. Why they weren't ripping each other's clothes off in their own hotel room I'll never know.
That's absolutely crazy. Who in the fuck would go through all that shit?
dieinafire is offline  
Old 02-22-08, 11:56 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,701
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Heat must be white, listening to NPR and all...
I've also had a Macintosh and a Volvo...
Heat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.