Reload this Page >

I Think My Gall Bladder is Kaput!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-11-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Doctor's appointment early next week.
Anyone want to share what's ahead if this is the case?
Old 02-11-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They remove it, and then you have problems eating greasy foods for the rest of your life.
Old 02-11-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went through that back in December of 07. It's really not a big deal. You go in for an ultra sound, they see the gall stones, they schedule your surgery, you go in super early in the morning, they take it out, you go home that night, take pain killers, get up the next day and feel much better. See? Easy.
Old 02-11-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you know you have a problem with your gallbladder?
Old 02-11-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the world of female, fat, and fortysomething.
Old 02-11-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Welcome to the world of female, fat, and fortysomething.

my wife only fit into one category....the female part.

she had hers out about 2 years ago. she was 31 and a couple of pounds overweight.

there is some type of flush you can do that many people report will work. you would have to google it as i forget what it is. something to do with olive oil. its gross. i warn you in advance.
Old 02-11-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If eating the least bit of grease makes you puke your toenails up, it's probably your gallbladder.
Old 02-11-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had mine removed about 4 years ago. Ironically, the reason mine started producing stones was because of weight loss. It went from 350 to 220lbs and as my doctor told me, "your gall bladder is having an identity crisis."

But yeah, say goodbye to any greasy food. Even melted cheese (grilled cheese, pizza, anything thing) destroys my stomach.
Old 02-11-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

i had mine removed, and it hasnt limited me from eating anything at all
hell, i had cajun less than a week after the surgery.. crawfish etouffee

ive heard people say that there are food limits and some food cause problems.. but i know several people that have had theirs removed.. and none have ever had any issues with any foods... most felt they could eat more without issue.
Old 02-11-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance
It went from 350 to 220lbs and as my doctor told me, "your gall bladder is having an identity crisis."
That's one hell of a gall bladder.
Old 02-11-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
.. but i know several people that have had theirs removed.. and none have ever had any issues with any foods... most felt they could eat more without issue.
I had mine out 10 years ago and eat whatever I want without any problems.

Gallbladder attacks feel like someone is shoving a hot poker in your back between your shoulder blades. The pain is worse than childbirth (so I've heard from my Mom and other women who have had GB attacks and babies).

Getting mine cut out was the best thing. I was in the hospital overnight and off of work for two weeks.
Old 02-11-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
I had mine out 10 years ago and eat whatever I want without any problems.

Gallbladder attacks feel like someone is shoving a hot poker in your back between your shoulder blades. The pain is worse than childbirth (so I've heard from my Mom and other women who have had GB attacks and babies).

Getting mine cut out was the best thing. I was in the hospital overnight and off of work for two weeks.
My experience is the same. I eat ANYTHING with no problems. Spicy, greasy, whatever.
Old 02-11-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife had her gallbladder out a few years ago. She has a tough time handling a lot of foods now.
Old 02-12-08, 12:32 PM

I've had mine out. Went through the ER and was there overnight plus a good portion of a day. Had a tube sticking out of my chest area for about a few days after (a Jackson Pratt)... thought I was free and clear, one week later was back in the ER because I had a stone in my biliary duct.

I think what did me in was rapid weight loss followed by a pregnancy. I was 6 weeks post pregnancy when I started having problems.

I can eat anything I want without problems, but anything greasy usually goes through my system within 15 minutes.
Old 02-12-08, 02:13 PM

I lost my gallbladder 14 years ago. I was scheduled for gallbladder surgery, but didn't make it to the date. I went in to the ER with incredible pain, they rescheduled my surgery to emergency surgery. Before they could get me into the operating room, my gallbladder burst. I very nearly died, and would have if I hadn't been in the hospital when it happened. So instead of the "simple" surgery, I had the old fashioned, rip 'er up surgery. Bile spilled into my abdomen. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital instead of overnight. I have no memory of what happened the first two weeks. I have lots of scars from it.
Old 02-12-08, 10:35 PM

I had it taken out three years ago... Skinny, mid-20s male. So I'm the exact opposite of the FFF...
I've learned to live without it. There's certain foods I can't eat (even though the Dr told me I would be able to). If I'm having a big greasy burger, I just make sure I bring it back to work, just in case I need to go to the bathroom later.
Old 02-19-08, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bub2000
I had it taken out three years ago... Skinny, mid-20s male. So I'm the exact opposite of the FFF...

Yeah, I am male and I was 22 when I had my gallbladder taken out. Like an earlier poster, my gallbladder problem was caused by rapid weight loss. The doctor told me it was a common problem with rapid weight loss. Wish I had known that before it had happened.

The surgery for me was very easy. I went in on a Saturday morning, went home that same evening, and was back to work a week later. The pain from a gallbladder attack actually hurt much worse than the surgery. The surgery was just three or four tiny incisions maybe half an inch long each at most.

I, too, cannot eat greasy foods any longer. Well, I shouldn't, but I still do sometimes. I just love pizza too much to never eat it again. I do however never eat out because I don't trust myself to make it home before the explosive diarrhea hits, and I do mean explosive. After the surgery, my anus is the very definition of the term "explosive diarrhea".

Living with chronic lifelong diarrhea sucks, but it is better than suffering through gallbladder attack pains.

Last edited by taffer; 02-19-08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-19-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance

But yeah, say goodbye to any greasy food. Even melted cheese (grilled cheese, pizza, anything thing) destroys my stomach.

After reading everyone elses experiences with it, all I can say is damn T, sounds like you got screwed on this deal.