Attempted Break-in, Bad Guy Shot, and His Mom Calls Vitctims to Complain

Old 02-09-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attempted Break-in, Bad Guy Shot, and His Mom Calls Vitctims to Complain

http://www.terrelltribune.com/articl...ews/news02.txt

Recent crime still haunts elderly couple
By Tereasa Nims: [email protected]

An elderly couple remains shaken by a Monday incident where seven people threatened to kill them as they tried to break through the couple's front door - to the homeowner's son shooting through the door as it was coming off the hinges.

We don't want any trouble, said Shirley Ashby, 67, who has lived in the home her entire life. We don't know what brought this on.

Four people are being held on $50,000 bonds in the Kaufman County Law Enforcement Center in connection with the incident on the 1300 block of County Road 319. One was shot in the right foot during the attempted thief.

According to Kaufman County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Bryan Francis, Glen Lilly, 18 of Terrell; Candace Beam, 20, of Terrell; Jonathon Emory, 18, of Terrell; and Lloyd Gipson, 36, of Forney were arraigned Wednesday morning and are charged with attempted burglary with intent to commit another felony.

A warrant was issued for a 31-year-old Hunt County woman in connection with the attempted burglary. Two other suspects are at large.

Francis said the homeowners called 911 at approximately 10 p.m. Monday when a group tried to break in. The family was watching television when they heard a commotion outside.

As the door was coming down, the homeowner's son, Don Ashby, grabbed a shotgun and shot through the bottom of the door striking Lily in the right foot.

I didn't know anybody had been shot, Ashby said.

After the shooting, Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.

Shirley Ashby told the teen's mother she was sorry, but that the man shouldn't have been trying to break into their home.

They were screaming they were going to kill us, Ashby said. I'm so sorry I hurt another human being, but I was protecting my family.

This is just too crazy.
Old 02-09-08, 03:41 PM

Oh. Fuck. That.

I would have told her my son was trying to finish the job the coat hanger failed to do 20 years ago. And if she had a problem with it, she could eat a dick. Barring that, she can go complain to the state legislature. Most states have a "Shoot the robber" law.
Old 02-09-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a dumb bitch
Old 02-09-08, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by dieinafire
This is just too crazy.
What's crazy is that dude is such a lousy shot. How can someone miss from so close, with a shotgun? There ought to be a law against such lameness. He should be embarrased to have his real name used in that article.
Old 02-09-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for the homeowners. I hope the criminal's mom is charged with witness tampering.
Old 02-09-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just when I think I can't be amazed at the stupidity of others, something wows me once again. That lady should be kissing this guy's ass that he didn't blow a fuckin' crater in her son's chest. I would have. Trust me, pump the first guy full of lead and everyone else runs away real quick.
Old 02-09-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
What's crazy is that dude is such a lousy shot. How can someone miss from so close, with a shotgun? There ought to be a law against such lameness. He should be embarrased to have his real name used in that article.
RIF

As the door was coming down, the homeowner's son, Don Ashby, grabbed a shotgun and shot through the bottom of the door striking Lily in the right foot.
Old 02-09-08, 04:46 PM

crazyronin,

I did read the article; "in the right foot " counts as a miss, given the conditions (very close range with a shotgun).
Old 02-09-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe he was aiming at the bottom of the door.
Old 02-09-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Man, Terrell, Texas doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live...

http://www.cityofterrell.org/wanted/index.html
Old 02-09-08, 04:58 PM

Aiming at the bottom of the door counts as lame, if his goal is "I was protecting my family."
Old 02-09-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She should be thankful he didn't keep shooting, I would have. If the door is coming off the hinges, you better believe I'd keep firing, who knows if they have guns, especially when they said they were going to kill them. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and those people are trash, I hope they get the book thrown at them.
Old 02-09-08, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Good for the homeowners. I hope the criminal's mom is charged with witness tampering.
She should be, but its more likely that a team of lawyers will be lined up at her door to offer their contingency-fee services in suing the homeowner for emotional distress.
Old 02-09-08, 05:24 PM

Yea, I thought so too, but he was even all sorry about shooting the guy. I would have told the paper the guy was lucky to be alive.
Old 02-09-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

crazyronin,

I did read the article; "in the right foot " counts as a miss, given the conditions (very close range with a shotgun).

So he hit him shooting blind through the door. Yep, what a bad shot.
Old 02-09-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Do you have any experience with a shotgun?
Old 02-09-08, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin
You shoot a shotgun through a door that people are charging through... somebody should be dead.
Old 02-09-08, 10:48 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by antennaball
You shoot a shotgun through a door that people are charging through... somebody should be dead.
Maybe he shot low so that he would injure, not kill, the perp. He drove them off without killing anyone - a win in my book.
Old 02-09-08, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Maybe he shot low so that he would injure, not kill, the perp. He drove them off without killing anyone - a win in my book.
It turned out that way, which is great. However, if I knew that MULTIPLE people were breaking down my door, saying that they were going to kill me, shooting someone in the foot (which does not even serve the purpose of disarming them) is not going to be my first instinct.

Again, great it turned out this way, but not the smartest move when going for "home defense".
Old 02-09-08, 10:58 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Yeah, I know. It turned out well this time, but I'm sure under different circumstances this would have been a disaster.
Old 02-09-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Home invasion should be a new crime in the US, a mandatory Felony, with 10 years minimum. Breaking into someone's home is the ultimate American infringement in privacy invasion and security. You let these types of crimes go unpunished without tough penalties, you disable the entire security of communities and send a message to impulsive shitwads that it's ok to break into someone's home and harm them.
Old 02-09-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Home invasion should be a new crime in the US, a mandatory Felony, with 10 years minimum. Breaking into someone's home is the ultimate American infringement in privacy invasion and security. You let these types of crimes go unpunished without tough penalties, you disable the entire security of communities and send a message to impulsive shitwads that it's ok to break into someone's home and harm them.
It would help if more criminals got killed trying to break into law-abiding citizen's houses....of course, many states go out of their way to limit access to guns.
Old 02-09-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if Drugs or Alcohol were involved?

Glen Lilly, 18 of Terrell; Candace Beam, 20, of Terrell; Jonathon Emory, 18, of Terrell; and Lloyd Gipson, 36.

Whats up with the almost 40yr. old hanging out with teenagers? Ring-leader?
Old 02-09-08, 11:43 PM

It is in Texas. The official statue is "Burglary of Habitation/Intent to Commit Other Felony". It bumps it up to a 1st Degree Felony that you can do some serious time for.
Old 02-09-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this belief extend to government agents who are reckless or grossly negligent in their home invasions?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.