Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Green Tea?

Old 09-27-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Green Tea?

I just started drinking Green Tea once a day for about the last week. I've heard all this stuff about how it can help you lose weight, give you energy, put you in a better mood etc. All of which sounds great to me.

However, I'm the only one of my friends/family that drinks this stuff. Apparently its China's biggest secret. I was wondering if the advantages were real. I've read articles but wanted to hear testiments from people. Has anybody who drinks this stuff noticed any change in their weight, energy levels, mood etc? Or is this all shenanigans?
Old 09-27-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts
No caffeine = no sale
Old 09-27-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the tea along with green tea extract pills from target but it made me kind of jumpy. Not as bad as st. johns wort though.

Old 09-27-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno
No caffeine = no sale
Many varieties of green tea have caffeine.
Old 09-27-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought China's biggest secret was the sideways vagina thing.
Old 09-27-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I drink a ton of green tea. I feel like it makes me feel better, but I am not sure if that's just because I am getting more water than I used to drink. I've always been skinny and had pretty high energy, so I don't really have any opinion on that.
Old 09-27-07, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I too am a big fan of green tea. I probably have a cup 2x daily.
Old 09-27-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I thought China's biggest secret was the sideways vagina thing.
That's awesome. I was joking with a friend about that a while ago.
Old 09-27-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Green tea also supposedly helps you to see spirits. But you have to drink a lot of it.
Old 09-27-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It only works if you're East Asian.
Old 09-27-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

drink it after lunch almost everyday
Old 09-27-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I drink Lipton's green tea on pretty much a daily basis. You can buy a box of ten instant packs for around $2.
Old 09-27-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as I know, there's no conclusive evidence for most of the health claims about green tea. Of course that hasn't stopped marketers from brewing up a big pot of horseshit to serve up with their product. And even if green tea itself does possess miraculous healing properties, I doubt any of that filters down to that sweetened, adulterated crap that contains only trace amounts of actual green tea.

I drink about 3-5 cups of various kinds of green tea a day, but that's because I like the taste.
Old 09-28-07, 12:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Green tea is very weak; not much taste to it like black teas. some are claiming the same health benefits from the black teas now. I go for the Irish Breakfast tea made by Twinnings. Tastes great with sugar and creamer, and lots of caffeine
Old 09-28-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
how many anti-oxidants does it have?
Old 09-28-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
I go for the Irish Breakfast tea made by Twinnings. Tastes great with sugar and creamer, and lots of caffeine

Yeah, that stuff is great, it's really the only Tea I can drink as a coffee alternative. I take it straight though.
Old 09-28-07, 08:39 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Green tea is very weak; not much taste to it like black teas. some are claiming the same health benefits from the black teas now. I go for the Irish Breakfast tea made by Twinnings. Tastes great with sugar and creamer, and lots of caffeine
Many green teas are strong as well, and some of the scented/flavored greens can have more taste then a black tea.

If you really want to experience a very light tasting tea, try a white tea. I've had one before that tastes like hot scented water. It also made a pretty good iced tea as it was light and not very heavy in the summer.

Most green teas have caffeine but not as much as black teas.
Old 09-28-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you are probably buying the wrong brand

go to a chineese food store and buy some bulk tea that isn't in tea bags. Twinings isn't exactly good quality tea either
Old 09-28-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vryce
Many green teas are strong as well, and some of the scented/flavored greens can have more taste then a black tea.
So if you buy a FLAVORED green tea it has more taste? CRAZY!!!

But yeah, Al is right, the bulk stuff is the best, thankfully my grocery store started carrying it (although half of it is worthless fruity garbage), but for work I stick to my bags and that Twinnings Irish Breakfast is rpretty good.
Old 09-28-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Weight, energy levels, mood etc. Yeah, okay. I drink green tea because I like it, not because I think it will make me thin, full of spunk and happy go lucky. I eat burgers and make myself throw up for that.
Old 09-28-07, 10:14 AM
Suspended

There's a green tea flavor of Vitamin Water. Anyone tried that one? It's one of the few flavors I haven't had yet.
Old 09-28-07, 12:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
you are probably buying the wrong brand

go to a chineese food store and buy some bulk tea that isn't in tea bags. Twinings isn't exactly good quality tea either

Twinnings and Bigelow are probably the best of the bagged teas quality wise. It's hard to find a place that sells the loose bulk teas that are fresh and not too expensive. I'm not too fond of the Chinese black teas. Not sure what they add to it but it has a distint flavour.

I used to get loose bulk tea from a hippie style deli at the student union at the University of MD back in college. They had a great selection of teas that were'nt expensive. But once they moved to a better location in the student union they got more commercialized and stopped carrying all of that stuff. Is there any good places online that sell bulk teas that aren't extremely expensive?
Old 09-28-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
There's a green tea flavor of Vitamin Water. Anyone tried that one? It's one of the few flavors I haven't had yet.
I've had and didn't like it. But I like straight green tea with no sweetners added at all. The V Water has a slight sweetness to it that I hated.

I cannot for the life of me just walk into a gas station or other store and find a bottle of regular green tea with no sweetners or fruit flavoring. Every single bottle is sweetened or citrus or mango or some shitty flavor. The closest I found was a diet green tea? Why the hell is it diet? Since when did a cup of tea become fattening?

I just get bulk green tea bags from Whole Foods, boil up a big batch and throw in my refrigerator.
Old 09-28-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Twinnings and Bigelow are probably the best of the bagged teas quality wise. It's hard to find a place that sells the loose bulk teas that are fresh and not too expensive. I'm not too fond of the Chinese black teas. Not sure what they add to it but it has a distint flavour.

I used to get loose bulk tea from a hippie style deli at the student union at the University of MD back in college. They had a great selection of teas that were'nt expensive. But once they moved to a better location in the student union they got more commercialized and stopped carrying all of that stuff. Is there any good places online that sell bulk teas that aren't extremely expensive?
out of the supermarket/grocery store my favorite is Tazo.

Whole Foods has good green tea, but they want like $70 a pound. in NYC i go to a chineese store and they will have tea straight from china for a lot cheaper.

try something from here. I like Eastern Shore Tea Company myself.

http://www.baltcoffee.com/catalog/in...94e3ec93707a71

they sell it at one of the real snobby coffee/tea stores in NYC.
Old 09-28-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to get loose bulk tea from a hippie style deli at the student union at the University of MD back in college.
I guess it's too late for this to be useful to you, but that wasn't tea, and there were better uses for it than drinking.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.