Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Where's a good place to drive to in Northern California for a couple days?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-15-07, 10:47 PM
X
Administrator

I was planning on a couple day trip to Big Sur/Monterey but the plans fell through. So we're looking for some place to drive to, preferably along the coast, for the next couple days.

We've done most of San Simeon to Fort Bragg and there's not a lot north of the Menocino worth going to on a two day trip that I know of, is there? The elk at the beach in Eureka aren't enough to get me to go back up there unless there's something more.

Napa and surrounding areas are just an afternoon trip from here and we're with a young one, so that's out.

Maybe inland, like Tahoe and then into some of the old silver mining cities of Nevada? Mt. Lassen? Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-07, 11:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

check 71miles.com
Old 08-15-07, 11:55 PM
X
Administrator

Interesting site. It's not telling me much I don't know though. Maybe we should just go down to Half Moon Bay and stay at the Ritz-Carlton. I'm not much for just hanging out though. I suppose I could make a side trip to Fry's for excitement.

I'm thinking it may just be time to move somewhere new.
Old 08-16-07, 06:00 AM

I recommend checking out the houses on the water and other John Carpenter locations at Inverness and Point Reyes Station.

Some great hikes back along Bear Valley Road...and a couple not-too-bad B&B's either.
Old 08-16-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had a really good weekend here once.
Old 08-16-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X, drive up highway 101 and head up towards Oregon. The country side there is amazing. Also, you'd be in the same state as me and how could would that be?

http://www.us-101.com/ - something useful I hope
Old 08-16-07, 10:15 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Interesting site. It's not telling me much I don't know though. Maybe we should just go down to Half Moon Bay and stay at the Ritz-Carlton. I'm not much for just hanging out though. I suppose I could make a side trip to Fry's for excitement.

I'm thinking it may just be time to move somewhere new.
Ha we faced the same issue last weekend, wanted to go somewhere within driving distance etc etc, not too far. Ended up at Stinson!
Old 08-16-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to the place where you can drive through the trunk of a giant redwood tree.
Old 08-16-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fort Bragg area is pretty nice, but If you have already done that then Tahoe might be a better Idea. Further north there is not really much up here. Unless you go pretty far north to Burney Falls.
Old 08-16-07, 01:30 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dashed
The fort Bragg area is pretty nice, but If you have already done that then Tahoe might be a better Idea.
Yes, I'm seriously considering South Lake Tahoe. I always go to North Shore in the winter. Maybe check out the ghost towns and do some gambling.
Old 08-16-07, 01:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by chente
I had a really good weekend here once.
Looks like that would be tough to get into right now.

There's been a fire at Mankas
The rooms in the main lodge and the restaurant are closed until further notice.
OUR CABINS, ANNEX AND BOAT HOUSE ARE ALL OPEN AND AVAILABLE.
Please call us 669-1034 and leave a message and we'll get back to you
as soon as we can. Thanks for your understanding.
Margaret Grade, Owner/Chef, Mankas Inverness Lodge

Given our small size and considerable appeal, weekend lodging reservations, in particular, are suggested months in advance. Don't let this recommendation stop you from calling with a spur of the moment need to escape. Cancellations do occur.
Thanks for the suggestion, but West Marin is pretty much my backyard so I was looking for something a little farther away.
Old 08-16-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm from around there. Mt. Lassen, Wiskeytown and Mt. Shasta all kind of suck to be honest. Shastas not bad if you're going skiing or snowboarding, but in the summer it gets really hot, like 120, and it's just dirt up there.

And driving through middle of california for scenic is also kind of boring. Unless your going rock climbing or like looking at trees, I'd just go to the coast.

Whenever we go to the coast we always hit patricks point, it's north of eureka a bit. Like on the coast of california right before you hit oregon. It's where the shot parts of Jurassic Park 2 also.
Old 08-16-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can drive down to Orange County. Go to Disneyland.
Old 08-16-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

off a cliff

thanks I'll be here all week
Old 08-16-07, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Head down 1 anyway to the Inn at Morro Bay. Enjoy the scenic park area and bird sanctuary next day. Look at the Morro Rock. Take some trips maybe to nearby wineries. Visit Hearst Castle San Simeon. Go to Solvang for some appleskiverserxgdsdyhf things or a Danish sausage breakfast.

Up in Big Sur, stop at Nepenthe or Rocky Point for some good food and views. Take pics of the Bixby Bridge with the kid. Maybe hike to the falls.
Old 08-16-07, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Option two. Take a trip down Highway 49 and the Gold Country. Or maybe Yosemite. That would be a nice weekend.
Old 08-16-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
off a cliff

thanks I'll be here all week
CB! Now that's just not nice. *runs off laughing*
Old 08-16-07, 08:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by RandyC
Head down 1 anyway to the Inn at Morro Bay. Enjoy the scenic park area and bird sanctuary next day. Look at the Morro Rock. Take some trips maybe to nearby wineries. Visit Hearst Castle San Simeon. Go to Solvang for some appleskiverserxgdsdyhf things or a Danish sausage breakfast.

Up in Big Sur, stop at Nepenthe or Rocky Point for some good food and views. Take pics of the Bixby Bridge with the kid. Maybe hike to the falls.
That was the second option, going down to San Simeon because there might be some room availability around Cambria. But it's at least an hour south of Big Sur and really, how many times can you see Hearst Castle? Moonstone Beach is supposed to be cool though.

Unfortunately the hotels around Big Sur and Monterey are booked for the next couple days. Concourse d"Elegance is going on. I've been there during that time and it's a complete zoo.
Originally Posted by RandyC
Option two. Take a trip down Highway 49 and the Gold Country. Or maybe Yosemite. That would be a nice weekend.
Yup, that's what we're doing. Got reservations in South Lake Tahoe and we're going down Hwy 49 a ways on the way there. Then we'll hit Nevada City and some of the silver mining areas. The kid likes that kind of stuff. Wait 'till he sees the old graveyards.