Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Tragedy!!!

Old 04-11-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tragedy!!!

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...?storyid=57442

DUMFRIES, Va. (WUSA)-- One person is dead and two others were injured, though not seriously, in an accident involving a tractor trailer and a Toyota car. It happened just before 2 p.m. on I-95 at exit 152 (Rt. 234) in the Dumfries area.

Sgt. Licklider says the driver of the truck was killed when the truck left the roadway, ran through a guardrail and overturned on the driverís side in the wooded area. He said beer kegs have fallen from the truck. The two injured people were in the Toyota.

The accident occurred on northbound I-95. Sgt. Licklider expects accident investigation to last several hours. Hazmat teams are working on the spilled fuel as well.

State police are investigating the possibility that a third vehicle, which has been stopped, was also involved in this accident.

With a picture...
Old 04-11-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much like child kidnapping stories, this tragedy depends on the type of beer it is.
Old 04-11-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Much like child kidnapping stories, this tragedy depends on the type of beer it is.
so if the beer is white and has blond hair, we should be getting updates every 5 minutes. Otherwise, forget it.
Old 04-11-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For the love of all that is cold and frothy!!!!!!!!!!

-p

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-11-07 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't look like that grand of a tragedy - most of the kegs appear to be intact.....
Old 04-11-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think there will be some drunk HazMat guys tonight?
Old 04-11-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, what kind of beer? This could actually be a blessing in disguise.
Old 04-11-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this thread was going to be about The Bee Gees.
Old 04-11-07, 07:43 PM

It's been a day of tragedies, it seems:

8 students hurt in crash of school buses

Wednesday, April 11, 2007
By Torsten Ove, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Eight teenage school students from the Laurel Highlands district suffered minor injuries this morning when the school buses transporting them to PNC Park for a Pirates game crashed into each other in a chain reaction on Route 51 near Woodruff Street.

Police from the South Side station said the children, all eighth-graders, suffered bumps and bruises and were taken to area hospitals but no one was seriously hurt.

Nine buses from the district were on their way to the ballfield for the Pirates' 12:30 game, where some of the students were to sing the national anthem. At about 11 a.m., police said, the lead bus drove under an overpass just as the light on Route 51 was changing from green to yellow. Because the driver did not want to separate his bus from the other eight, he applied the brakes and stopped quickly.

The second bus hit the first from behind and the third hit the second in a chain reaction. The other buses were not involved.

Mercy Hospital reported it received five patients, all of whom were released by mid-afternoon. Children's Hospital also received patients.

Some of the students did sing the anthem at the game.
That's not all of it.

Four relatives of the kids are in critical condition after crashing their car while on the way to the hospital. They were apparently speeding, went airborne and hit the front of a dump truck - in a Saturn.
Old 04-11-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Video:

http://www.wusa9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=42825

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) -- A driver and passenger exchanging obscene gestures with the driver of another vehicle as they sped along a busy interstate were killed early Wednesday when their car hit a guardrail and flipped into the air, police said.

Both were ejected and pronounced dead on the scene, said Maryland State Police spokesman 1st Sergeant Russ Newell.

Police said the accident occurred about 8 a.m. on Interstate 270 near Frederick, a major commuter thoroughfare linking western Maryland with the Washington suburbs.

The driver has been identified as 28 year old Christian Michael Luciano of Harrisburg, Pa. His passenger, also from Harrisburg, was 25 year old Lindsay Bender.

Witnesses told police the Luciano and Bender were exchanging obscene gestures with the driver of a green pickup truck for some distance as they headed south in commuter traffic. The truck swerved in front of the car, causing the driver to lose control and hit the guardrail, Newell said.

The car went airborne, flipped over the guardrail, ejecting the Luciano and Bender onto the grassy area beyond the roadway.

The driver of the pickup truck did not stop and was being sought for questioning, Newell said. Witnesses are asked to call the Frederick, Md. State Police Barrack at 301-644-4151.

The accident closed the highway for about an hour.

Old 04-11-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...?storyid=57442

DUMFRIES, Va. (WUSA)-- One person is dead and two others were injured, though not seriously, in an accident involving a tractor trailer and a Toyota car. It happened just before 2 p.m. on I-95 at exit 152 (Rt. 234) in the Dumfries area.

Sgt. Licklider says the driver of the truck was killed when the truck left the roadway, ran through a guardrail and overturned on the driverís side in the wooded area. He said beer kegs have fallen from the truck. The two injured people were in the Toyota.

The accident occurred on northbound I-95. Sgt. Licklider expects accident investigation to last several hours. Hazmat teams are working on the spilled fuel as well.

State police are investigating the possibility that a third vehicle, which has been stopped, was also involved in this accident.

With a picture...
Old 04-11-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.... umm...

would you like Dumfries with that....?
Old 04-11-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
.... umm...

would you like Dumfries with that....?
Around here we call it DumBfries or DumPfries. My sister used to live there.

Old 04-11-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
It's been a day of tragedies, it seems:

That's not all of it.

Four relatives of the kids are in critical condition after crashing their car while on the way to the hospital. They were apparently speeding, went airborne and hit the front of a dump truck - in a Saturn.
I'm sorry...(trying not to laugh).
Old 04-12-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the school children spilled any beer.
Old 04-12-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But why is all the beer gone?!?!?

Old 04-12-07, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ernestrp
FREDERICK, Md. (AP) -- A driver and passenger exchanging obscene gestures with the driver of another vehicle as they sped along a busy interstate were killed early Wednesday when their car hit a guardrail and flipped into the air, police said.

Both were ejected and pronounced dead on the scene, said Maryland State Police spokesman 1st Sergeant Russ Newell.
I'm sorry, but this ain't tragedy. This is justice served.
Old 04-12-07, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I'm sorry, but this ain't tragedy. This is justice served.
Isn't that a little bit harsh? And what about the driver of the other vehicle?
Old 04-12-07, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Had they focus on the driving instead of screwing around, they wouldn't hit the guardrail nor ejected. (not to mention not wearing seat belts) Is it a bit harsh? Probably, but see these two idiots were punished by the laws of physics not laws of human. There is no harsh or leniency in the court that practices the laws of physics. It's a court of one size fits all.

As for the driver of the other vehicle, polices are looking for him. Once they found him, I'm sure he'll be punished by the laws of human.
Old 04-12-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
As for the driver of the other vehicle, polices are looking for him. Once they found him, I'm sure he'll be punished by the laws of human.
Isn't this similar to the fairly recent case of the guy in FL that cut some lady off that was driving too slow in the left lane and she wrecked and died?

He wasn't really punished because he didn't cause her to drive like a dumbass, she did it herself.

I would say that if you choose to engage in stupid behavior on the highway and you die as a result of it, no one is at fault but you.

There is always a choice to ignore the other person's hand gestures or to just move over and let the other asshole go on by and go about your own business.
Old 04-12-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Isn't this similar to the fairly recent case of the guy in FL that cut some lady off that was driving too slow in the left lane and she wrecked and died?

He wasn't really punished because he didn't cause her to drive like a dumbass, she did it herself.

I would say that if you choose to engage in stupid behavior on the highway and you die as a result of it, no one is at fault but you.

There is always a choice to ignore the other person's hand gestures or to just move over and let the other asshole go on by and go about your own business.
I would agree with that. Though, I'd also say that there is a big difference between "it is your own fault" and "you got what you deserved" (i.e., "justice served").
Old 04-12-07, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Witnesses told police the Luciano and Bender were exchanging obscene gestures with the driver of a green pickup truck for some distance as they headed south in commuter traffic. The truck swerved in front of the car, causing the driver to lose control and hit the guardrail, Newell said.

The car went airborne, flipped over the guardrail, ejecting the Luciano and Bender onto the grassy area beyond the roadway.

The driver of the pickup truck did not stop and was being sought for questioning, Newell said. Witnesses are asked to call the Frederick, Md. State Police Barrack at 301-644-4151.
Does anyone know what the driver will be charged with in this case?
Old 04-12-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by talemyn
I would agree with that. Though, I'd also say that there is a big difference between "it is your own fault" and "you got what you deserved" (i.e., "justice served").

It turns out there was a dog (rottwieller) in the vehicle that crashed in the road rage incident that was located today. They said it had some minor injuries but it was walking around.

Old 04-12-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
I thought this thread was going to be about The Bee Gees.
That's the FIRST thing I thought about!

"Tragedy...

...When the feeling's gone and ya can't go on it's Tragedy..."
Old 04-12-07, 11:54 PM
Banned

A deep comment here:

I've had enough beer for one night.
Do I care about the human side?

I'm sleepy.

Jamba Juice tomorrow. Sorry, dead people.

Last edited by Kudama; 04-12-07 at 11:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.