I got a haircut.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I got a haircut.

Old 04-11-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a haircut.

Just a little off the sides and top.

I honestly feel a bit retarded when the stylist asks me how I want my hair. Just shorter, I dunno. So it doesn't make me look like a tool. I don't know "hair" terms. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. One time I brought my girlfriend with me and had her explain what to do. I felt like I was 4.

I don't go to the barber because if you're under 30 they assume you want short hair all the way around and slightly buzzed on the top so you end up looking like an extra on Malibu's Most Wanted.
Old 04-11-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I got a haircut

which one....?
Old 04-11-07, 07:24 PM

Basic rule when it comes to haircuts - If you are a guy, go to a barber. Barbers are for men. Hair stylists are for women.

I went to "stylists" for ages. Sometimes I'd get a good cut, sometimes not. Never knew what would happen. Even with the same person, usually a woman. From what I've learned, stylists generally aren't able to cut a man's hair as well as a barber.

Since learning that, I've been going to a barber. It's a great comfort to know I can go get my hair cut, and it will look good every time.

I too avoided barbers because I thought all they did was buzz you, and cut your hair too short. That's not the way it is. You just need to find the right barber.
Old 04-11-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the baber scenrio - that's what I do - sadly - I still wear the "high and tight".....

Old 04-11-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I too avoided barbers because I thought all they did was buzz you, and cut your hair too short. That's not the way it is. You just need to find the right barber.
That guy's not at the shop anymore.

I really do like that shop. They still have a working/original 1950's soda pop machine. All they do is talk about horse races. The average age of the barber is like 60.

The price difference only ends up being about $6 and the person that cuts my hair now knows how to do it.

Hey, you know how some tribes think taking a picture steals your soul. Could some of my brain be in my hair?

About two minutes ago I just got up for no reason. Five steps later I had no idea why I stood up in the first place.
Old 04-11-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go to this place with lady barbers/stylist and after your haircut they they get a hot steaming towel and put it over your face and then to the back of your neck and ears and massage your neck and ears. I do really enjoy the ear part though. It makes me feel warm all over among other feelings. I dont really care how my hair looks anyways.

Old 04-11-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I go to a place called big league haircutters, perhaps it is a chain I'm not sure, but it rules because you get a cut, a shampoo, a nice little back, neck, and arm massage all while you watch your own tv! ESPN is the default programming, and the place has a sweet sports theme.

best part is it is $16
Old 04-11-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pics?

Old 04-11-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ernestrp
I go to this place with lady barbers/stylist and after your haircut they they get a hot steaming towel and put it over your face and then to the back of your neck and ears and massage your neck and ears.
I like the cute ones that lean over and put their perky tits in your face while they wash your hair.
Old 04-11-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I like the cute ones that lean over and put their perky tits in your face while they wash your hair.
The one I got just smoked.
Old 04-11-07, 09:00 PM

I've been going to my barber for 5 years, and I go out of my way to get to him. 7 train all the way to Flushing, and then take a bus to bayside. I have friends in the area, and they introduced me to the place. I usually get it cut every 2 or 3 weeks. When I go to my barber, I don't have to tell him what to do, he knows. If I want something different I'll tell him and he'll remember next time. They do fades better than anyone (although I'm starting to get a bit old for that) .All for $10 + tip.
Old 04-11-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a little off the sides and top.

I honestly feel a bit retarded when the stylist asks me how I want my hair. Just shorter, I dunno. So it doesn't make me look like a tool. I don't know "hair" terms. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. One time I brought my girlfriend with me and had her explain what to do. I felt like I was 4.

I don't go to the barber because if you're under 30 they assume you want short hair all the way around and slightly buzzed on the top so you end up looking like an extra on Malibu's Most Wanted.

If you're gonna talk about it, show us!
Old 04-11-07, 09:18 PM

Anyone get the neck shave?

From what I understand, only barbers can do that.
Old 04-11-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Anyone get the neck shave?

From what I understand, only barbers can do that.
I'll never go to a barber again after some old man shaved my ear lobes. I only had peach fuzz on 'em, but now it's worse. I just go to the cheapy places and ask for a bedhead cut.
Old 04-11-07, 10:14 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I never know what to ask for so I put off going to get a haircut way too long until I can't put it off any longer. Now, I just moved, and I don't know what barbershop to go to. Last time when they asked me what I wanted I just said to make it look normal.
Old 04-11-07, 10:22 PM

I usually just point to a spot on my hair and say, "same way it is now, but this short." On the barber vs hairstylist thing, I disagree.

Barber: always much too short
Chain Stylist: not even close to what I told them I wanted, usually uneven
Stylist: exactly what I wanted, will remember for next time (months later)
Old 04-11-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I go to a stylist. She kicks ass. I get mine done once a month to get it tidied up.
I have good hair that's easy to cut, so it's pretty straight forward. I pay 14 bucks tip included.

My last girlfriend was a killer stylist, so I took my cuts for granted. It took me 5 mediocre cuts to find my current favorite.
Old 04-11-07, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been going to the same girl (stylist) for about 20 years now. I've had her 2 sisters cut me during her pregnancies and once or twice when I was out of town or something.
Old 04-12-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to go to this fancy salon where they'd give you free beer/wine/margaritas while you waited. Haircuts were expensive, but I got a good discount because i was having sex with my stylist.

These days I just go to whoever is cheapest. #1 on the sides, #4 on the top. Pretty hard to screw that up.
Old 04-12-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by joeblow69
#1 on the sides, #4 on the top. Pretty hard to screw that up.
At least refer to your stylists by their names.

Oh and I had gotten up to go downstairs to check the free space on my DVR.
Old 04-12-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one I got just smoked.
I had a vision of a Fembot's smoking bewbs from Austin Powers...
Old 04-12-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In Laval, near Montreal, they have a "sexy barbershop" place where the ladies cut your hair while topless. That must be a scene.
Old 04-12-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I LOVE getting hair cuts!

They make me feel BRAND NEW!!!
Old 04-13-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Bus' story sounds similar to mine with going in for haircuts and having the ex-girl explain it. I'm sitting there thinking, "man I bet this chick thinks my girlfriend walks me through everything in life". ha!

For me, it's simple. I either use the clippers, put a #4 extension and do a short-hair thing (not a buzz), or I just go to Supercuts. Usually going in a half hour before they close, I don't have to wait long at all. But it's always a crapshoot. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks horrible. The fortunate thing is my hair grows fast.
Old 08-18-07, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Edit King
I LOVE getting hair cuts!

They make me feel BRAND NEW!!!

bump

me too, I like my hair short and it grows fast, I like to get my haircut every 2 weeks, but most of the times every 3 weeks. My hair is thick and doesnt lay down good. I get a #1 on the sides and a #3 on top. Just enough to put alittle gel in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.