Reload this Page >

Roommates gone for the summer...what should I charge them

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-10-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time dealing with this so any advice would be appreciated. I currently rent a 4 bedroom 3 bath house. I have one roommate living with me and another who had planned to move in this summer.

My current roommate just accepted an internship out of state and will be gone for part of May, all of June and July and part of August so pretty much 3 months give or take a week or two depending on the actual dates. The other roommate also accepted an internship out of state and now won't be moving in till the fall. What do I charge them? The new roommate said she would have no problem paying some type of storage fee since her stuff will be moved in, and the other roommate has said she doesn't want to lose her room either so would be willing to pay something while she is gone.

While they are gone most bills won't change such as phone, internet, rent and Directv, and I don't see electric changing much either. Any suggestions.
Old 04-10-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The lump sum?
Old 04-10-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you have in writing....?
Old 04-10-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Full price for the one who is already there with most cut off for the utilities. You'll have to eat much of the costs on those. Rent share should be full, though. It would be anywhere else - my mortgage doesn't stop if I go away for the summer.

Comparable to a climate-controlled storage locker fee for the new one.
Old 04-10-07, 08:49 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

They should be their full share of the rent, regardless as to whether or not they are living there.
Old 04-10-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I go out of town for a month, my roommate still charges me rent, understandably. I don't just pay for it when I use it, I pay for it period.
Old 04-10-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Full rent, but let them try to sublet if possible (subject to your approval of substitutes, of course).
Old 04-10-07, 09:03 PM
Banned

Charge them... one... million dollars.
Old 04-10-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sublet or else they pay
Old 04-10-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nevermind
Full price for the one who is already there with most cut off for the utilities. You'll have to eat much of the costs on those. Rent share should be full, though. It would be anywhere else - my mortgage doesn't stop if I go away for the summer.

Comparable to a climate-controlled storage locker fee for the new one.

I agree. If you want to be a nice guy.

Charge them full if you want to be like kvrdavid
Old 04-10-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I am tempted to charge full price, I have a feeling she would then move out. I doubt she can afford both rents since I am assuming she will be paying rent where her internship is at. She pays $600.00 a month for rent here and that is a flat fee which includes everything.

I don't have anything in writing. The house I live in is my parents old house, where I grew up, and I pay "rent" to them which covers lawn, pool, taxes, and repairs.

She is leaving most of her stuff her from what I understood so subletting would be tough.
Old 04-10-07, 09:50 PM

Charge them the full rent. It's only fair, you could easily rent out the room to someone else for full price or maybe even more.
Old 04-10-07, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I doubt she can afford both rents since I am assuming she will be paying rent where her internship is at. She pays $600.00 a month for rent here and that is a flat fee which includes everything.
That's not your problem. What if you were in a position where you needed that rent money to make mortgage payments or something like that? If that was you, most people would charge you the full rent.
Old 04-10-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Full rent.
Old 04-10-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How much of the rent do you charge goes towards your "rent" that you pay your parents? If you want to be the hero, charge them half-rent (or so) as "storage fee" as long as it's not a hardship on you. This could work out if the current roommate is one you get along with and don't want to lose. Also you'll have the place to yourself and still have some money coming in.
Old 04-10-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't answer your question untill you tell me how hot they are.
Old 04-10-07, 10:53 PM

All of a sudden i'm experiencing deja vu with this thread.... seems like I just finished reading this on another site.
Old 04-10-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
All of a sudden i'm experiencing deja vu with this thread.... seems like I just finished reading this on another site.
How does it end?
Old 04-10-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
How much of the rent do you charge goes towards your "rent" that you pay your parents? If you want to be the hero, charge them half-rent (or so) as "storage fee" as long as it's not a hardship on you. This could work out if the current roommate is one you get along with and don't want to lose. Also you'll have the place to yourself and still have some money coming in.
She pays about half of everything as it is now. It costs about 1200 top with all amenities here. Electric is the real killer since it is a 30 year old house with a pool. Yeah I definitely get along with my current roommate so I would hate to lose her. I also hate looking for a roommate. She isn't on any official lease so it is a month to month rent so she could easily say that she is moving out in May then instead if I told her full price which is why I am hesitant to do so. Also I am softy when it comes to these things as long as I don't feel like I am getting screwed, and like you said I get money and an empty house.

To answer your question Asabase the current one is definitely cute and the other one is also from what I remember, both taken though. I definitely don't mind the bikinis by the pool though maybe I should charge them more since I won't have that this summer.

Maybe I will just tell her it will be 400 and then worst case tell her that is for both of them and they can work out how much each of it they will pay.
Old 04-10-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
I would never dare crosspost and much less use the same username.
Old 04-10-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'd generally have to say full rent. If there are any utilities that will be lower because they're not there (like their share of the water bill), I could see knocking off a little for that.
If you can survive financially without the rent of the one who's not moving in yet, a storage fee would be fair. But it would also be totally fair to say "you have the option to use the space, your stuff is using it, I can't rent it out to anyone else" and charge full price.
If she'd move out if she was charged full price, and if you can find/want another renter who is satisfactory, then *wave* bye. To play devil's advocate, for her *not* to pay is like her saying "Hey, I'll be moving in with you in three months, but I've got an awesome opportunity somewhere else till then, so I want you to hold all my stuff in your place, preventing you from renting it to anyone else, and be liable for it if the house burns down or is ripped off, for free." At the very least, I'd find out what a comparable storage unit would cost for that length of time, then charge her more (since it's climate controlled and guarded).
It all depends on how "nice" versus "fair" you want to be and can afford to be. You'd be totally in the right charging either of them anywhere from 0 to full rent.
Old 04-10-07, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I would never dare crosspost and much less use the same username.
BUSTED! You could have at least changed the smilie to something else.
Old 04-10-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

pics?
Old 04-10-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by leest3
It's only fair, you could easily rent out the room to someone else for full price or maybe even more.
How do you know that?

My take? Charge them what you think is fair, considering that they could move out, forcing you to search for new tenants. IMHO, having roommates you like and trust is worth its weight in gold, and is worth taking a little hit to keep them. I won't go into my experiences, but some here know where I am coming from.
Old 04-10-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Listen to LurkerDan. hippy rage is not something to be trifled with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.