Reload this Page >

Question on a stores return policy???

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 02-17-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this is the right forum but if anyone can give me some advice Id appreciate it. Last week I purchased a framed picture for $100 of the NY Mets as a gift for a friend at a sports shop using my credit card. The worker that sold it to me took my phone # and put it into the computer "in case I wanted to return it they would have my info." I ended up tossing the receipt and tried returning it today because the friend I bought it for did not want it. They would not refund my money and would only give me store credit b/c I did not have the receipt. I tried explaining to them that the clerk took my phone # in case I wanted to return it but when he went to check for it in the computer apparently it was not there. I was under the assumption that as long as you use your credit card you do not need a receipt. They told me to call them in 2 days when the manager will be there and ended up leaving with the item.
Old 02-17-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a store is free to set up any return policy
Old 02-17-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea 99.99% of the time the store will only give you back in how you paid if you have a reciept. Those that except without receipt usualy do so with the stipulation that it is store credit.
Old 02-17-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
go in with your CC statement
Old 02-18-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go to your credit card's website and print out the statement. It may even have a transaction number.
Old 02-18-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 415 Likes on 304 Posts
Some friend
Old 02-18-07, 03:26 PM

ill print out my cc stetment and go back...thanks
Old 02-19-07, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

if they balk, start talking about chargebacks.
Old 02-19-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by J-Dubya

i doubt the CC company will let it go through
Old 02-19-07, 07:38 AM
Banned

ALWAYS keep your receipt(s) for any amount of sale within time duration of the retailer's return/exchange policy. A receipt is your only proof of purchase. Every consumer should already be aware of this.
Old 02-19-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I was under the assumption that as long as you use your credit card you do not need a receipt.
Your assumption is obviously incorrect. I'm not even sure why you would assume that in the first place. What do you think the purpose of a receipt is?

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
On what grounds? For what reason would a credit card company possibly reverse the charges? Do you think a store owner is too stupid to recognize an empty threat?
Old 02-19-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

and if the CC company does do a chargeback then the store owner can always sue you for the money or send it to a collections agency. and he will probably win.
Old 02-19-07, 09:17 PM

1) NEVER leave an item with a retailer... it's not theirs and they don't have any responsibility to "hold on to it". If it happens to get "lost"... they are not liable

2) Creditors ALWAYS side with the retailers. They will call the store, get the stores version of the situation and make their decision. If the store did not violate their own policies, the cardholder is most likely SOL

Having a purchase made on a CC is NOT a surefire way to get around keeping your receipt. Some stores have a vehicle set up for tracking a purchase made using your CC #, but that would only be to look up a receipt! In other words... you STILL NEED A RECEIPT!!!

Sorry, but I think you might be in a tough place with this one...
Old 02-19-07, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by chrisfelice
1) NEVER leave an item with a retailer... it's not theirs and they don't have any responsibility to "hold on to it". If it happens to get "lost"... they are not liable

2) Creditors ALWAYS side with the retailers. They will call the store, get the stores version of the situation and make their decision. If the store did not violate their own policies, the cardholder is most likely SOL

Having a purchase made on a CC is NOT a surefire way to get around keeping your receipt. Some stores have a vehicle set up for tracking a purchase made using your CC #, but that would only be to look up a receipt! In other words... you STILL NEED A RECEIPT!!!

Sorry, but I think you might be in a tough place with this one...
I didnt leave the item i boguth with the store, i took it with me
Old 02-20-07, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I didnt leave the item i boguth with the store, i took it with me
My bad... went back and read it again... missed the word "with"...