Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you keep significant cash at your home?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-15-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine grew up pretty poor. Since that time, the dad made a killing in a business, etc. and his net worth is probably around 300 million. Anyway, before they were worth multiple millions, the dad kept around $20,000 around the house. About $5,000 in one of the heating vents, and stuff like that.

I'm not talking that much money, of course, but do you keep some special amount at the home "just in case?"

I always assumed that if I had enough to keep around the house, I would have enough to get a safe of some kind. Preferably a wall safe behind a picture, because that's what I see on TV, and it will not lead me astray.
Old 01-15-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have enough to get me some extra ammo. After that, its pure profit and zombie killing.
Old 01-15-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all relative, right? I keep what some would consider a 'significant' amount at home. I don't think it's that much, but it's enough to get me a few nights at a hotel if I had to evacuate my home immediatley. I was watching a lot of Katrina coverage on TV in '05 and thought that a lot of people didn't have much time to leave their home. (Yes, a lot of people left days before the hurricane hit, but suppose for a minute that your told you have 30 minutes or less to leave your home forever. You can only walk out with what you can carry)

I have always thought that the money in the bank is good enough, but then I the more I thought about it, the more links there are in the chain for me to get the money. I have one bank account where I keep a bare minimum in there. The rest of the money is in an online savings account. For me to tap into that, I have to find a PC connected online, withdraw that money, and then wait for 2-3 days for my bank to receive those funds.

That is also dependent on the fact that there is not a run on the bank. If there is, I could legitmately be locked out of my money. Yes, very rare. Yes, it probably hasn't happened since the 20's, but it *is* possible.

So yes, I keep some money at home, and no, I don't keep it in a safe. My take is that if somebody were to rob me, they'd go straight for the safe. If I didn't have a safe, they'd have to ransack the entire home for this lousy amount of money.

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 01-15-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Now I'm scared.

May have to think about that, but I always assumed I'd head up into the mountains and live off the land.
Old 01-15-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. I figure the chances of me not being able to utilize an ATM or any of my credit cards is pretty remote.
Old 01-15-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 488 Likes on 351 Posts
Keeping a significant amount of cash at your house? Must be nice.

I've got my money stashed around 2 different banks, the primary bank I use is nationwide and can be found pretty much anywhere. If for some reason I can't find a bank around I'll have to use an ATM...worse case scenerio, I have to pay the $1.50 - $2.00 fee if it's not my bank's ATM.
Old 01-15-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 351 Likes on 223 Posts
Living in Earthquake country(So Cal) I've always heard that keeping cash around is good becuase ATM's and credit card machines in stores will probably be offline if it's really bad quake. The sad part is that I still have yet to do this.
Old 01-15-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ChiTownAbs, Inc

So yes, I keep some money at home, and no, I don't keep it in a safe. My take is that if somebody were to rob me, they'd go straight for the safe. If I didn't have a safe, they'd have to ransack the entire home for this lousy amount of money.
I have a safe within a safe. The inner safe contains bricks. Fuck you for trying to rob me.

das
Old 01-15-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be helpful if the respondents in this thread would include their addresses. Thank you.
Old 01-15-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
May have to think about that, but I always assumed I'd head up into the mountains and live off the land.
Aren't you already living where people like us would run to? A run in the bank in your town means that all five customers withdrew money from their Christmas Club on the same day.
Old 01-15-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My roomie pays his half of the rent to me in cash each month, so I keep that cash at hand in a locked drawer and take some money from that stash as I need it instead of going to the ATM every week.
Old 01-15-07, 01:55 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

in an emergency, foodstuffs would be more valuable than cash anyway. If you were on the run from disaster who would really sell a can of beans or loaf of bread for $100? I wouldnt.
Old 01-15-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there was a newspaper article last year of how some police in Michigan served a warrant on some chineese restaraunt owners in a tax investigation and found $400,000 in cash.

some other immigrant groups also keep a lot of cash at home because they are afraid of the IRS. I think it's the most stupid thing you can do since any tax savings are not worth losing your life savings over.
Old 01-15-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
So you'd rather have someone tear apart your house AND take your money? I'd rather they just took the safe, and left the rest of the house alone.
Old 01-15-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Aren't you already living where people like us would run to? A run in the bank in your town means that all five customers withdrew money from their Christmas Club on the same day.
Except that banks (especially around here) don't actually keep very much money in the bank. If you had even a small run, they couldn't handle it. They told me once that they order money on a Wednesday that is suppose to be able to last them a week.

But yeah, probably easier for me to live off the land than worry about food, etc.
Old 01-15-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
No, not necessary
Old 01-15-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not more than $200 at any given time. I wouldn't call that siginificant in any way, just pocket money.

canned food and bottled water though, I always have 4 or 5 days worth, usually more.

and ammo, lots of ammo
Old 01-15-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very rarely do I have anything more than change in my house.

I handle so little cash, I never have cash on hand.
Old 01-15-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have $47 in my wallet, so the answer to the question is "Yes, as far as the kvrdave's bank teller is concerned; no, according to everyone else."
Old 01-15-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 281 Likes on 200 Posts
I've been thinking about it, now that I have a safe. Maybe a few hundred bucks. If something happens, and shit really hits the fan (a la the Jericho tv show) banks could be down. There might not be any infrastructure still running.
Old 01-15-07, 02:42 PM

I don't keep any money at home. Just what I carry in my wallet, usually no more than $50-$100. I use my debit card for most purchases, and my credit cards for gasoline for discounts.

All my cash, such as it is, is in the bank.
Old 01-15-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I keep approx $5,000-$8,000 in my safe at home. I've used/replenished it many times when buying stuff over the weekend. You never know when you'll find a deal on something in the newspaper or at a swap meet. I've bought tools, motorcycles, antiques, etc.. Many people selling stuff individually won't take a check at all, let alone on a weekend. I love to buy & sell/trade stuff so it's a hobby for me.
Old 01-15-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
I have $47 in my wallet, so the answer to the question is "Yes, as far as the kvrdave's bank teller is concerned; no, according to everyone else."
Old 01-15-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Nope, never occured to me. I do have a change jar, though. There might be close to $50 in it.

When my house was broken into a few years ago, the thieves took the contents of my change jar. Maybe I should fill it with metal slugs just in case.
Old 01-15-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only a hundred bucks plus whatever is in my coin jar. Never saw the need to keep a lot of money here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.