Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I want a fake watch

Other Talk "Otterville"

I want a fake watch

Old 11-21-06, 02:50 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA
Posts: 3,582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a fake watch

For some reason, I've been wanting a watch lately (I usually dont wear one). But if I get a watch, I dont want it to look like a cheap Swatch. But I cant afford a nice $999 watch either. So I decided to go with a 'replica'. Like a fake Tag or Omega. I plan on heading to a flea market to see what they have. Before I go, does anyone have any suggestions?

D
Old 11-21-06, 03:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Downtown LA
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know if we're even allowed to discuss this. Just delete if not:

Yah. If you ever go to Vietnam, that's the place to be. The BEST fakes. I'm serious. Watch doesn't scratch and looks IDENTICAL and feels identical too. I wear mine to the boutique stores here and the workers can't even tell. I paid $17 each for 2 of the ones I have, negotiated down from $25 each.

Anyways, regardless of where you buy, my recommendation: don't get a Rolex, Patek Philippe, Franc Muller, etc . . . why? because people will assume those watches are fake. They're just way out there and people will ask "is that real?"

If you stick with a Movado, Tag, whatever - just a step down, then people will just say "nice watch."
Old 11-21-06, 07:43 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,584
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
What's your actual budget? Why not just get a nice mid- to low-price watch like a Seiko, Citizen, or such?
Old 11-21-06, 08:14 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,325
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never understood why someone would want a fake watch when a nice Citizen or Seiko is a far better choice.
Old 11-21-06, 09:08 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,859
Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I have never understood why someone would want a fake watch when a nice Citizen or Seiko is a far better choice.
I didn't want to spend $600 on a real Cartier so I found a really nice fake (in Thailand) for $20. It looked nice and elegant. Who cared if it didn't keep time worth a crap... I only wore it when going out for a few hours.
Old 11-21-06, 09:30 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,864
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But didn't the money you spent to go to Thailand to buy the knockoff exceed any savings?
Old 11-21-06, 10:59 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,215
Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts
He want to Thailand for the underage whores, the watch was just a bonus.
Old 11-21-06, 11:04 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,750
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
I want a fake watch

Old 11-21-06, 11:08 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,906
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If all you can afford is a $20 watch, buy a $20 watch. But don't spend it on a watch imitating other more expensive watches. That's even more lame than buying an expensive waste of money to begin with.
Old 11-21-06, 11:26 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,445
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wanted to buy a fake, just to have a fake. OP, where in VA beach do you expect to find something like that? I'm in Williamsburg and if you find somewhere in Hampton Roads let me know!
Old 11-21-06, 11:51 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,215
Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts
Maybe he likes the look of the more expensive watch, but doesn't feel they are worth the price.
Old 11-21-06, 12:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,864
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here you go, just saw this in the video game forum:

Old 11-21-06, 12:38 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand you people. The things that are nice about fake watches is you can wear them for a year or 2 and get a new one. Even some of your more expensive watches will start to look like crap after a year or 2. This way you throw away the fake and buy a new one....

Don't get me wrong... I have some nice REAL watches, but there is nothing wrong with a $15.00 fake.
Old 11-21-06, 12:40 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,325
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
but there is nothing wrong with a $15.00 fake
Other than the fact that it is $15.00 worth of crap pretending to be something else.
Old 11-21-06, 12:53 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,584
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Other than the fact that it is $15.00 worth of crap pretending to be something else.
And what does that say about the wearer?

I'm just sayin'.
Old 11-21-06, 01:23 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys buy generic products?
Old 11-21-06, 01:29 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,325
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Do you guys buy generic products?
Yes but you don't see generic aspirin in bottles labeled Bayer, now do you.

The analogy is flawed. No one is against inexpensive products. Only products that pretend to be something else, stealing someone else's work and designs.

Buy a Casio or Timex and you will be far better off than flashing your fake.

Edit to add:

I feel the same way about fake watches as fake dvd's. Fake is fake.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-21-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 09:21 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,859
Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jon-w9
But didn't the money you spent to go to Thailand to buy the knockoff exceed any savings?
Damn.... didn't think about that

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Maybe he likes the look of the more expensive watch, but doesn't feel they are worth the price.
Bingo!

Like I said, it was a inexpensive way to feel a little "dressy" for a couple hours without paying a ridiculous price for something that just tells you the time.
Old 11-21-06, 09:37 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA
Posts: 3,582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GradVT06
I always wanted to buy a fake, just to have a fake. OP, where in VA beach do you expect to find something like that? I'm in Williamsburg and if you find somewhere in Hampton Roads let me know!
Bills Flea Market in Va Beach seems like a sure bet for this sort of thing. I'll let you know what I find.

D
Old 11-21-06, 09:44 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a cheap name-brand watch, there are plenty of Movado's in the $300 range, and you can buy this year's ESQ watch for $200-$300.

Or you could buy a Louis Bolle. Their website says that their watches are $2000+, but the watches are only sold on Ebay and other auction sites and run under $200. They're nice looking, but no idea what the quality is actually like (I'm willing to bet you they're crap, though).

The best part about a high dollar watch is that they last forever. I have a friend who wears a Rolex that was given to him by his father from his father from his father. The watch has made it through two world wars and a tour of Korea and is still ticking.
Old 11-21-06, 09:50 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: On the banks of the Red Cedar
Posts: 9,864
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matta
If you want a cheap name-brand watch, there are plenty of Movado's in the $300 range, and you can buy this year's ESQ watch for $200-$300.

Or you could buy a Louis Bolle. Their website says that their watches are $2000+, but the watches are only sold on Ebay and other auction sites and run under $200. They're nice looking, but no idea what the quality is actually like (I'm willing to bet you they're crap, though).

The best part about a high dollar watch is that they last forever. I have a friend who wears a Rolex that was given to him by his father from his father from his father. The watch has made it through two world wars and a tour of Korea and is still ticking.
Old 11-21-06, 11:40 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA
Posts: 3,582
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
What's your actual budget? Why not just get a nice mid- to low-price watch like a Seiko, Citizen, or such?
My budget is under $100. Anything more and I'd rather buy a clock radio and tie it around my wrist.

D
Old 11-22-06, 01:13 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would any of you people that are willing to wear fake watches buy a fake diamond for your wife or girlfriend? Exactly the same scenerio in my opinion. Anybody that buys a nice watch or a nice piece of jewelry is paying a premium for high quality materials and fine workmanship. Like another poster said, if you're unwilling or unable to buy an expensive watch just buy a watch that fits your budget.
Old 11-22-06, 01:32 AM
  #24  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derrich
My budget is under $100. Anything more and I'd rather buy a clock radio and tie it around my wrist.

D
If you're willing to bump up to the $200 range, there are a lot of nice watches there.

It's really a trade off... you can buy a $20 watch and have it for 6 months, or you can buy a $200 watch and have it for 5 years.

If you want to stay in the under $100 range, there are some nice fossils.
Old 11-22-06, 01:35 AM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,214
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whoopdido
Would any of you people that are willing to wear fake watches buy a fake diamond for your wife or girlfriend? Exactly the same scenerio in my opinion. Anybody that buys a nice watch or a nice piece of jewelry is paying a premium for high quality materials and fine workmanship. Like another poster said, if you're unwilling or unable to buy an expensive watch just buy a watch that fits your budget.
eh, not really. With the engagement ring there's more risk there.

If people find out my watch was fake, all they'll do is think I'm a tight-ass.

If my wife found out her engagement ring was fake, I'd have my balls removed in the middle of the night with a pair of scissors.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.