12-year-old charged with burning playmate, 11

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-18-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...hild-burn.html

A 12-year-old Manitoba boy has been charged by the RCMP after taking part in a dangerous game that ended when an 11-year-old girl was severely burned.

The children, from the Chemawawin Cree Nation in central Manitoba, doused the girl with bug spray and set her on fire as part of a game, said Staff Sgt. Steve Saunders.

"There were a group of kids playing with bug spray. They would spray it on themselves, light it, and then put it out," Saunders explained on Tuesday.

"That game progressed to the point that a group of them took an 11-year-old girl, were spraying her, and the top of the can came off or the can malfunctioned to the point that the bug spray poured over the girl. They lit it on fire and she suffered burns and was subsequently taken to the Health Sciences Centre."

The incident took place on Sept. 30, the accused's 12th birthday. The girl remained in the Winnipeg hospital Tuesday, where she has been treated for burns to her face, neck, and one arm. She is in stable condition.

Friends of the girl's family said Tuesday their only concern is that the girl gets better.

"I feel sorry for my granddaughter's friend. She was a good girl when she came around here in my house," said Patsy George, who said the youngster was at her house all the time, playing with her granddaughter.

Two 11-year-olds not charged

The 12-year-old boy faces several charges, including aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and mischief endangering life. CBC News learned of the charges on Tuesday.

Two other 11-year-olds who participated are deemed too young to be charged, Saunders said.

The Chemawawin Cree Nation is located near Easterville, southeast of The Pas. The reserve is about 400 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg and has about 1,200 residents.

Chief Clarence Easter told CBC News on Tuesday that he felt a range of emotions in response to the incident.

"It's disturbing when you have kids that do that in your community and you have to deal with it," he said.

"I could get angry, but what's that going to do? You've got to deal with the problem that's at hand, and I got to deal with it on both sides: you know, the offender plus the victim. I've got to help them both."

Easter said the band is sending family members to Winnipeg to be with the girl. The community is also working with the offenders, with the help of the RCMP, counsellors and the reserve's school, he said.
Old 10-19-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 12-year-old boy faces several charges, including aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and mischief endangering life. CBC News learned of the charges on Tuesday.

Two other 11-year-olds who participated are deemed too young to be charged, Saunders said.
And it was on the 12 year olds birthday! Depending on the time he was born, he may have been 11 still....
Old 10-19-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by gijon213
And it was on the 12 year olds birthday! ...

I know that age it is hard - too old for clowns, too young for strippers and booze. The bug spray game is perfect for those early teen birthday parties.
Old 10-19-06, 10:11 AM

I blame last night's episode of Lost.
Old 10-19-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what happens when you ban tag from school playgrounds.
Old 10-19-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But did she suffer any bug bites? Why can't people look on the bright side of things?
Old 10-19-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An 11-year old is posing for Playboy?
Old 10-19-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We used to do this in Boyscouts. We'd spray Off<sup>TM</sup> on our hand then pass it through the camp fire and then put it out real quick.
Old 10-19-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think they were really trying to hurt her.

What bothers me more is that they were spraying BUG SPRAY on each other!

If they didn't know better than that at 11, they aren't going to realize that pouring it on is going to be different from spraying it on, when they light it.
Old 10-19-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
At that age I used to make improvised flamethrowers out of spray paint cans and matches, but I wasn't stupid enough to spray it on my friends.

I was, however, stupid enough to make improvised flamethrowers out of spray paint cans and matches, so take this for what it's worth.
Old 10-19-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

I agree with a lot of things in this thread, but you are never too young for strippers and booze.