Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eye witnessed in nature?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-06-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back I was walking out to the car when I saw a water bug being closely followed by a wasp.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the water bug had a hole in its backside the size of a lady bug! The wasp kept hovering and landing on the water bug and what I saw next really flipped me out!

It was actually taking bites out of it!

Its guts (and or innards) were visible and it was doing everything it could to get away from the wasp, but no matter wherever the water bug went, the wasp was sure to go!

Well, after a few moments of observing this (as it took me a while to actually believe what I was seeing), I picked up a nearby rock, and put the water bug out of its misery.

The wasp landed on the now crushed but still quivering water bug, and proceeded to eat it.

That has to be one of the most freaky (if not the freakiest) thing I've ever eye witnessed in my current lifetime.

-A WELL DESERVED THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-06-06 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-07-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't actually witness this, but I heard about it. I was involved in the whole thing though.

A duck laid some eggs in some bushes in front of my house when I was a kid. Sometime before the eggs hatched the duck was killed by some sort of predator. My family and I decided to hatch the eggs ourselves. We got a heat lamp and put the eggs under the light. I believe there were 5 eggs total and 3 ended up hatching, so we had 3 cute baby ducks for a little while. We lived on a golf course and decided to bring the 3 ducklings down to the pond on the 16th hole and see if the mother duck that lived in the pond would adopt the 3 ducklings--I believe she had at least 3 of her own. We dropped them off and the mother duck seemed to take to them.

Later on that day a foursome of ladies teed off on the 16th hole and continued on and finished their round. When they got back to the clubhouse they noticed that one little duckling had followed them the entire way from the 16th tee all the way into the clubhouse bar. It was at least a mile. I can't even begin to calculate how long of a walk that would be for something so small and only about 2 days old. One lady picked the duckling up and took a cart back to the pond on 16 and returned the duckling, but the little guy started following her again. Then the mother duck came over and started pecking the duckling on the head until it was almost dead. Nobody expected that it would live.

It did live though because for the rest of the year everytime I played golf and got to the 16th hole I counted all the ducks in the pond and everytime there was 6 of them.

I don't know much about ducks, so maybe that's common, but I just can't imagine a little duckling walking that far only 2 days after hatching.
Old 10-07-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

The weirdest thing in nature is finding water skippers in a public pool. Where the hell do they come from? Do water skippers leave their homes and skip along the pavement to get to the public pool that is nowhere near water? Do they somehow come out of the pool's fill valve which is hooked directly to the municipal water supply? HOW DO WATER SKIPPERS END UP IN PUBLIC POOLS????
Old 10-07-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The weirdest thing in nature is finding water skippers in a public pool. Where the hell do they come from? Do water skippers leave their homes and skip along the pavement to get to the public pool that is nowhere near water? Do they somehow come out of the pool's fill valve which is hooked directly to the municipal water supply? HOW DO WATER SKIPPERS END UP IN PUBLIC POOLS????

"Besides skating on the surface of water, adult water striders can also use wings (e.g. to fly to another body of water)."
Old 10-07-06, 08:50 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I dont know if its the weirdest but Its the first thing I thought of:

I worked in an office building, 24th floor in downtown chicago. Some time of year big spiders as big as a nickel come out and you can see them crawling outside the window. A coworker and I were talking and we both had noticed a particularly big spider outside, when suddenly a big wasp flew over it, hovered a second and then grabbed it and flew away! It was pretty shocking to see this guy just get nabbed 24 floors up.
Old 10-07-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I dont know if its the weirdest but Its the first thing I thought of:

I worked in an office building, 24th floor in downtown chicago. Some time of year big spiders as big as a nickel come out and you can see them crawling outside the window. A coworker and I were talking and we both had noticed a particularly big spider outside, when suddenly a big wasp flew over it, hovered a second and then grabbed it and flew away! It was pretty shocking to see this guy just get nabbed 24 floors up.
The coolest/most horrifying aspect of this tale is that the wasp took the spider and layed its eggs in the spider, which the wasp then let go. The spider then went on its merry way, not knowing the fate that awaited it.

Spoiler:
Old 10-07-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw some moron pushing a big-screen tv down a sidewalk.
Old 10-07-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-07-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
that's weird? they will make a coon dog
Old 10-07-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A naked guy walking through the woods. I don't even wear shorts unless I'm on a trail and this guy wasn't. Ouch!
Old 10-07-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen a snake eat a frog. The frog kept making noises like a cranky baby until it was completley swallowed.

I saw a man who was fly fishing at twilight catch a bat.

I had a bat get caught in my cheese grater.

I have also seen the sky filled with shining threads of ballooning spiders in the springtime.
Old 10-07-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I once saw a rain of frogs. Wait, that was Magnolia.
Old 10-07-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

"Besides skating on the surface of water, adult water striders can also use wings (e.g. to fly to another body of water)."
Wow. Thanks.
Old 10-07-06, 07:11 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

you mentioning the spiderwebs reminded me of these pics I saw a few weeks ago

more pics here
Old 10-07-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those "tent" moths are nasty. We had those when I lived in Groton, CT.

One nature event I witnessed was when my dog was chasing a squirrel around the yard and it ran up a tree. Little did the squirrel know that there was a blue jay nest in that tree. The mamma blue jay began to dive bomb the squirrel. As the squirrel ran down the tree my dog ran him back up it again. I've never seen a squirrel in such a panic before.
Old 10-07-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are a lot of frogs that live in my pool in CT. It is very natural looking so I can't blame them for getting confused. So one day when we had a pool party, I rounded up all of the frogs and put them in the woods out of the way. As I did this, one of the bigger frogs ate a small one right in front of me. It was awful because I could still see the little frog's feet sticking out of the bigger one's mouth. Plus they both were of the same species. Since then that big frog became forever known as Cannibal Bob.

Another thing happened when I was eating in a restaurant. Outside there were these two dogs that were chained to this lamp post. I then saw one of them take a dump on the ground. As soon as the happened the other dog just gobbled it up. It was so nasty because it was cold outside and the poop was steaming. I guess the owner lucked out because he/she didn't have to pick it up. I think it's safe to say that I also lost my appetite.
Old 10-08-06, 04:04 PM

I'm just reading a New York Times Magazine piece about how our (being 'us humans') interactions with elephants are driving them crazy - like raping rhinoceri! That's gotta be something weird to witness...
-ringding-
Old 10-08-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Wow. Thanks.
I was bored.
Old 10-08-06, 04:59 PM

Frogs eating mice.
Old 10-08-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, this thread is seriously creeping me out.
Old 10-08-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Shit!!! That's just wroooong!!!
Old 10-08-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dear Save Ferris,

Thanks for the nightmares to come.

Sincerelly yours,

Pressplay
Old 10-08-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was golfing one day and as I approached a water hazard to get my ball I heard the squeal of a hawk. Just in time I looked to see the splash and a hawk leaving the pond with a baby duck in it.
Old 10-09-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ants are amazing creatures to watch. One time in South Carolina, I was watching a colony of fire ants. I swatted a yellow jacket and put it nearby. One ant wrestled with the stunned YJ for a while, then went into colony for reinforcements. A few seconds later, at least twenty ants came out and attached the YJ. It was no contest, and they quickly dragged him into one of their holes.

If you ever get the chance, watch a spider build a web. It's fascinating. My friend has an inground pool with a spotlight on it and somehow a spider was able to get a strand of web from the blue spruce on one side of the pool to the sapling on the other side. The spider then built the web precisely in the beam of the spotlight, instinctively knowing that bugs who are atracted to the light would be more likely to end up as supper. We stood and watched for about an hour as the spider went around and around, constructing the web. I get spiders building webs outside my house too. I don't know how long they live, but the web usually turns up in the same spots, so I guess it's prime real estate. Whenever I see a web, with the spider sitting in the middle, I try to find a bug to give it. Once I threw a worm in the web and the spider was on it in a flash. Not really weird, but very interesting.

WHY did I click on SaveFerris' link? WHY?

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 10-09-06 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was a kid, I remember watching tv on the floor and noticed a spider under the bookcase next to the tv sitting on it web. Not sure what kind it was but a wolf spider suddenly appear. Both spiders look at each other and I was sure there was going to be a fight and sure enough they both got into it. I thought for sure the wolf spider was going to win since it's was bigger the but the little spider starting using it's web and proceed to wrapped the wolf spider up on it web. The fight was over in about 15 min. or so. The wolf spider just became food for the little one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.