Reload this Page >

Sump Pump question....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Sump Pump question....

Old 10-04-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sump Pump question....

So in light of Monday evening's near-flooding of my basement (where my HT is located), I'm considering upgrading my current sump pump to something with a battery backup.

I've been in my house 1.5 years, and our inspector at the time of purchase found no evidence of flooding. The carpet didn't seem too new, so if it had ever flooded it's been a while.

The rain was bad enough to flood out my whole street, and my current sump pump was going off about every 50 seconds for a while. We have not lost power in this house at any point (all the wiring is underground in our neighborhood), but I realize my luck will eventually run out. If the power went out Monday, I'm sure I would have lost my basement. BTW I currently carry a homeowner's rider for $10K (the max State Farm allows) in property damage related to flooding, but that still wouldn't cover everything I have in the basement,

I saw this on the Home Depot site:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gin.0&MID=9876

Is something like this too much? Is the computer controlled and alert thing just a gimmick?

Also, how often should a sump pump be replaced under normal conditions?

Just looking for some insight and advice......thanks in advance.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 10-04-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the time you buy the pump, the battery, and the battery acid, each sold separately, I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with a small electrical generator, say 2000-3000 W.

I worry whether the pump has sufficient capacity or would run long enough on battery for the kind of storm you mentioned.

I've never replaced my pump, 28 years, still runs great. However, the water sensor failed and I have replaced it twice.
Old 10-04-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got a water powered backup similar to this one.

http://www.plumbingproducts.com/12volback.html

No electricity required and a lot cheaper than a generator.
Old 10-04-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There is a new pump out there that runs on your homes water supply. I thought about getting one. They are not to expensive and probably better then battery backup. I had the watchdog pump and every 6 months the alarm went of to indicate I had to put water in the battery. and it always went off about 3AM.

Does your pump drain outside of your house? A couple of things you may want to think about is fixing your downspouts so the water runs far away from your house. Make sure the yard slopes away from your house, etc...

If it gives you piece of mind you may want to just add a standard pump right above your existing pump in case the main pump breaks....
Old 10-04-06, 04:58 PM

There is another company that makes these and they require you to tap into the copper water line. They are also fully automatic like a battery backup.
Old 10-04-06, 05:01 PM

One other thing. That policy you mentioned from State Farm. It is called a backup sewer and drain policy? It doesn't cover flooding. Unless there is something else out there now.. So if water starts pooring in down your windows or over your foundation wall, your not covered.
Old 10-04-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I have a small generator and a spare sump pump ready to go. Pretty inexpensive. Actually had one give out last winter so I was incredibly glad to have the spare.
Old 10-04-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dave....give?

Blasphemy!
Old 10-04-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a well, so a water pump would not be useful.

At my parents house the used to have pedestol pumps that seemed to out every 5 or so years.

The ones at my house are going on 10 (knocks on wood) but they are the submerged kind.
Old 10-05-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Does your pump drain outside of your house? A couple of things you may want to think about is fixing your downspouts so the water runs far away from your house. Make sure the yard slopes away from your house, etc...
Thankfully our area seems to be designed well for this. All the lots have slopes away from the house in the front and back. Since we don't have alleys, they put sewers at the back yeard property lines. Plus someone that owned the house before me (not the last owners) apparently buried the sump pump hose all the way out to this sewer, so it drains directly into that rather than just onto our grass. I'm guessing it's against code, but our inspector and other people that have been at our property haven't said anything, so I guess I'll leave it until I have to move it.

One other thing. That policy you mentioned from State Farm. It is called a backup sewer and drain policy? It doesn't cover flooding. Unless there is something else out there now.. So if water starts pooring in down your windows or over your foundation wall, your not covered.
That could be it. I know it doesn't cover a major flood like you describe, but it's supposed to cover sump pump failure or backup. I have to look it over but I was pretty explicit with my agent at the time so it should be the right coverage.
Old 10-05-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started a topic similar to this not that long ago. I have still yet to change anything in my house but I do have a few comments.

1. Battery backup and the pumps that run off your existing water lines are significantly LESS powerfull then your standard sump.. Now, that might not be a big deal for you but for me it is. When we got the rains that flooded me my current pump could not keep up with the amound of water coming in and so our pit just flat out backed up.

2. For those recommending you get a generator. Sure, that is the best idea and it has multiple uses but YOU HAVE TO BE HOME!! Say you get the worst rain you've ever had, the power goes out and you're out of town! That generator won't hook itself up.

What I did to help my problem (but this won't help if the power goes out) was added another sump pump on top of my current pump and directed it to go into the sewer line (yes, I know it's illegal). It's only had to go on maybe 3 times since I've done it but those times it did save me from flooding again.

It would be awesome if the sumps that can run off a water line would be as powerful as an electric because that would be perfect for me.
Old 10-05-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is my old thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=469679
Old 10-05-06, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by tbird2340

It would be awesome if the sumps that can run off a water line would be as powerful as an electric because that would be perfect for me.

I know it would be costly, but why not hook up 2 additional pumps... I bet you could get it to fit. Especially since these pumps sit outside of the pit.
Old 10-05-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Four total pumps!! I know, I would take the one that is higher currently out.

I guess I could do that. I'm wondering though if there will be enough pressure to run two? How much are they again? (roughly)
Old 10-05-06, 09:29 AM

I guess pressure might be an issue. You would definitelty have to run a large water line to the pumps. probably 3/4" then split to 1/2 to get to each pump. I think they are about $200.00-300.00 each Not sure though.
Old 10-05-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the S1502 Home Guard is $155 at Lowe's. In the best posibble conditions (most water flow at 4ft elevation) the pump only does 9.2 GPM... So times that by 2 and I still only have 18.4 GPH while an electric does 30 GPM. Still don't know if that would do it..
Old 10-05-06, 10:13 AM

check these out. The best one they have does 27GPM. The cheapest one does 15GPM at 10ft. Depending on your water pressure you might get more GPM. Price ranges from 300 to 460

http://www.basepump.com/Basepump.htm
Old 10-05-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will definately look into those. Looks like it may be exactly what I'm needing. Thanks man..
Old 10-05-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instructions: Repeat saying, "That's some sump pump," outloud as fast as you can.

Benefit: Approximately 60 minutes of entertainment.
Old 10-05-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts