Huh! Swath of central San Francisco terrorized as SUV guns for pedestrians

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-30-06, 12:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was about a day where multiple people were injured in hit and runs, but the same guy hit 14 pedestrians all over the city.

Full Article here

The first call to San Francisco police came in Tuesday at 12:47 p.m. -- a shiny black Honda Pilot had just plowed into another vehicle at Larkin Street and Golden Gate Avenue near Civic Center.

It's the kind of routine vehicle accident that police hear about innumerable times every day.

But this smashup was not routine. And it was no accident.

Within minutes, the driver of the Pilot would speed into the hills straddling the Western Addition and Pacific Heights, ripping back and forth through a 15-square-block area like a ripsaw on four wheels, leaping curbs, cutting corners and tearing the wrong way through traffic.

Throughout the chaos, only one thing seemed clear: The driver was on a hunt. A hunt for humans.
Old 08-30-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it not TEK.....
Old 08-30-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carmageddon!
Old 08-30-06, 12:38 PM

I only clicked this thread to figure out what the subject header meant.
Old 08-30-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what happens when gas prices drop!
Old 08-30-06, 12:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I only clicked this thread to figure out what the subject header meant.
I'm pretty sure that's how headline writers get paid! Which is why I couldn't better it outside of adding wtf! and I look forward to the day sfgate.com uses wtf! in a headline
Old 08-30-06, 01:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I'm pretty sure that's how headline writers get paid! Which is why I couldn't better it outside of adding wtf! and I look forward to the day sfgate.com uses wtf! in a headline
I look forward to the day that people realize we don't allow profanity, including abbreviations of profanity, in thread titles.
Old 08-30-06, 01:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Are you serious. I'm asking as I was unaware of this.
Old 08-30-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listening to two different conservative talk shows today and the hosts were bitching that none of these articles mention the guy was a Muslim (and that some of his victims were hit in front of some Jewish center??).
Old 08-30-06, 01:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Are you serious. I'm asking as I was unaware of this.
Yup. Geoff stated that in the thread where announced allowing some "special" words to be used in posts.
Old 08-30-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
As the cars roar into Pennsylvania, the cradle of liberty, it seems apparent that our citizens are staying off the streets, which may make scoring particularly difficult, even with this year's rule changes. To recap those revisions: women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points.
I wonder how many he racked up?
Old 08-30-06, 02:27 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

This will be a CSI episode before the year is out!
Old 08-30-06, 03:11 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

So are we all agreed? Dont show any concern about this? Will ignoring this keep the suicide bombers away?
Old 08-30-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His rampage began in Fremont where he ran down and killed a person.
Old 08-30-06, 03:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by X
I look forward to the day that people realize we don't allow profanity, including abbreviations of profanity, in thread titles.
...which is why whenever I see "wtf" in a thread title I read it as "what the fig."
Old 08-30-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
. . . waiting for the copycat crimes . . .

Going into a McDonalds or a Luby's and opening fire was popular, but it seems to be going out of fashion. Besides, not everyone has an arsenal at home. But lots and lots of people have SUVs.
Old 08-30-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clearly we need tighter SUV control laws.
Old 08-30-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does CA have concealed-carry laws? If one of those citizens had been armed, lives could have been saved.

I wonder what video game he had been playing.

Damn Japanese cars, maybe if he had bought American it wouldn't have gone crazy [or it would have been totalled after hitting one person]. Hey, as long as we're blaming the car, not the psycho behind the wheel.
Old 08-30-06, 04:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I dont think anything like this will ever happen again. Its an isolated case of road rage. It happens all the time. I hope he gets the medical attention he needs.

Note to self: Dont be a pedestrian
Old 08-30-06, 04:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

He looks normal enough in his wedding photo, unlike the pics of crazy john mark karr where we all knew he was nuts looking at him!!
Old 08-30-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Does CA have concealed-carry laws? If one of those citizens had been armed, lives could have been saved.
Yeah, your first inclination when faced with an oncoming SUV while strolling down the sidewalk is to pull out your piece and carefully take out the driver. Or much more likely - a bunch of bad shooters would be taking potshots at a fleeing SUV and harming or killing a mess of innocent bystanders.
Old 08-30-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Listening to two different conservative talk shows today and the hosts were bitching that none of these articles mention the guy was a Muslim (and that some of his victims were hit in front of some Jewish center??).
Is this a joke?

If true, I'm not surprised the media elected not to report it. Just another example of LMB.
Old 08-30-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, your first inclination when faced with an oncoming SUV while strolling down the sidewalk is to pull out your piece and carefully take out the driver. Or much more likely - a bunch of bad shooters would be taking potshots at a fleeing SUV and harming or killing a mess of innocent bystanders.
Not mine, but people who can legally concealed-carry generally have a better respect for and knowledge of their guns, than the average auto driver.

And you are quite aggressive, I was thinking more of getting out of the way and shooting out the tire rather than directly shooting the driver. I guess you don't have to like guns to want to kill people, huh?

And yeah, if he is Muslim and was aiming, at least partially, at Jewish people [hate crimes!], and committing 'auto terrorism', that's at least as relevant as the fact the vehicle was an SUV. They sure did repeat that factoid often.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-30-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson
And you are quite aggressive, I was thinking more of getting out of the way and shooting out the tire rather than directly shooting the driver. I guess you don't have to like guns to want to kill people, huh?
Yeah, that's me alright.

And "shooting out the tires" is a last resort, even for cops, due to the danger of accidentally harming innocent bystanders. Of course, people with a concealed-carry should know that, right, given their marksman-like ability and super-knowledge about guns?

And yeah, if he is Muslim and was aiming, at least partially, at Jewish people [hate crimes!], and committing 'auto terrorism', that's at least as relevant as the fact the vehicle was an SUV. They sure did repeat that factoid often.
You think maybe they made sure to mention that it was an SUV because they're big and can do more damage than a Mini Cooper? Nah, it must be the liberal media bias.
Old 08-30-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's me alright.

And "shooting out the tires" is a last resort, even for cops, due to the danger of accidentally harming innocent bystanders. -
I tell my boy not to say this, but sometimes it applies.
Duh.
Of course, they also avoid that due to the danger of being massively sued.
And just because it's a last resort, doesn't mean they don't do it [although they're more likely to use spike strips or whatever].

Of course, people with a concealed-carry should know that, right, given their marksman-like ability and super-knowledge about guns?
-
Ah yes, the two-extremes "argument". I said they are likely to know more, so you naturally overexaggerate that to mean they're Rambo or super-snipers.

You think maybe they made sure to mention that it was an SUV because they're big and can do more damage than a Mini Cooper? Nah, it must be the liberal media bias.
A mini cooper couldn't kill somebody? A van couldn't kill somebody? A pickup truck couldn't kill somebody? [Of course, if it was a pickup truck, it would be made much worse by the gunrack on the back, or the Dixie sticker on it].
I'm sorry, if a vehicle is aiming at me, I don't really care what it is.

"Swath of central San Francisco terrorized as SUV guns for pedestrians"

The SUV did it. Shades of "Trucks". Not the psycho [or disturbed] person driving it. The SUV, mentioned as such no fewer than six times [admittedly, one was a quote], and described by name no fewer than 20 times.
I would be interested in knowing if the alleged offender truly was Muslim, and if this was just 'random' or a hate crime, aiming at people of specific religiousity.

Detailing what happened is what 'news' is supposed to be. Trying to skew the implications of such, is not news.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.