Indiana principal sends 128 dress code violators home

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-27-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAMMOND, Ind. - Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

The Hammond school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

Mayerik said the infraction would be removed from students' records in 12 weeks if they had no other in-school violations.

School board members said they support Mayerik and the mass suspensions. "I'd be supportive if half the school was sent home, because 99 percent will get the message our schools are for education," board president Rebecca Ward said.
So...do you think schools everywhere need to start adopting this kind of crackdown, or is a waste of time? Discuss.
Old 08-27-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In life there are rules. It's not like they have to wear suits and ties or dresses. Might as well get used to it.

Has anyone else been to a pizza place or similiar establishment and there is some food preparer with their ass hanging out, underwear drooping over the belt or some plumbers crack. Not real appetizing and a health code violation. (If it were a cute girl I might make an exception).

I blame the liberals
Old 08-27-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Being firm about something petty on the first day of school is good tactics. But only if the administrators can be consistent and fair for the rest of the school year. If they can manage that, they and their rules will be respected (if not loved).
Old 08-27-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the no t-shirts with graphics would suck, everything else seems fine.
Old 08-27-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, I remember when the girls were not allowed to wear pants, the guys could not wear jeans or t-shirts, and you could get sent home for having a bad hair day.
Old 08-27-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
the no t-shirts with graphics would suck, everything else seems fine.
By "graphic t-shirts" I think they meant words/images that were inappropriate.
Old 08-27-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See this is why I support uniforms.
Old 08-27-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that is a lot. Probbaly would take almost the whole day to process all the suspensions.
Old 08-27-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do I have a problem with it? Not really. Do I agree with it? Not really. I do wonder if the students really knew the dress code, since it was the first day of school. Assuming they had some reasonable warning/notice, the actions are okay. The list of banned clothing does seem a bit overborad, however. What makes pants "baggy". I've also heard the term graphic t-shirts to include pretty much anything on the t-shirt, not just inappropriate material. And really I'd put the onus on the parents to determine what kids wear, not the schools. Schools can ban certain extreme clothing, but if it's general teenage wear (which appears to be the case here), I think it should be allowed. But a school certainly could choose to do otherwise, like it is here, and its within its rights. I just don't think that's a role schools should play.
Old 08-27-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Yup rarely, rarely is dress an issue at my kids school. Course at my daughters school it is a pretty strick uniform. My son's HS does not have a uniform exactly. But he must wear docker style pants, no tennis shoes, dress shirt and tie. In the winter he is to wear a sport coat as well.

I have gone to visit his HS many a time. During the day everyone is nice and neat, but the minute 3:12pm comes, ties are off, shirts are untucked, typical kids.
Old 08-27-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
Do I have a problem with it? Not really. Do I agree with it? Not really. I do wonder if the students really knew the dress code, since it was the first day of school. Assuming they had some reasonable warning/notice, the actions are okay. The list of banned clothing does seem a bit overborad, however. What makes pants "baggy". I've also heard the term graphic t-shirts to include pretty much anything on the t-shirt, not just inappropriate material. And really I'd put the onus on the parents to determine what kids wear, not the schools. Schools can ban certain extreme clothing, but if it's general teenage wear (which appears to be the case here), I think it should be allowed. But a school certainly could choose to do otherwise, like it is here, and its within its rights. I just don't think that's a role schools should play.
Well, I agree. To a point. Yes, parents should direct their kids. But evidently it doesn't happen.

For example, my son plays golf. Even if he is just playing a par 3 course or something "casual" he knows he must wear docker style shorts and a polo style shirt. We have taught him this is out of respect for the game, the course and your fellow players.

In the real world, it should be the same for kids in school. They should be taught to wear clothing that shows respect for the school, their teachers and reflect the "serious, business" nature of being in school to learn, not be in a club.
Old 08-27-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To the credit of some parents i know some kids change clothes when thery get to school into skirts too short etc. Another thing is kids will sometimes wear inappropriate tshirts but when they leave in the morning they are wearing hoodies or sweaters covering them up. Part way through the day they take off the hooodie and for the afternoon they are wearing some inappropriate shirt.
Old 08-27-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The "baggy pants" ban is usually based on the perception that gangs wear baggy pants.

I have always thought the baggy pants thing was hilarious. How can you run from the cops if you have to hold your pants up?
Old 08-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-27-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also the baggie pants thing many times falls under the same category as too short skirts or too low cut tops - they all show the undergarments.
Old 08-27-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally Posted by kmac2878
Fixed.
Old 08-27-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Me too!

Old 08-27-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Me too!

Shame on you, Tom! SHAME!!!
Old 08-27-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, though, I agree about uniforms. I could see where it would aleviate some issues at school. Plus the student doesn't have to spend a long time trying to decide what to wear to school. Being ex-military, it definately helps with your morning ritual.
Old 08-27-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well, I agree. To a point. Yes, parents should direct their kids. But evidently it doesn't happen.

For example, my son plays golf. Even if he is just playing a par 3 course or something "casual" he knows he must wear docker style shorts and a polo style shirt. We have taught him this is out of respect for the game, the course and your fellow players.

In the real world, it should be the same for kids in school. They should be taught to wear clothing that shows respect for the school, their teachers and reflect the "serious, business" nature of being in school to learn, not be in a club.
I'm not sure how wearing docker style shorts and a polo is respect for the game of golf. Granted, I'm not really a golfer, but are you saying that wearing a T-shirt and say some athletic shorts is disrespectful? That seems extreme to me, as golf is a sport and athletic wear should be fine. That's not to say an individual course/club can't set higher standards. But simply because golf has traditionally been a rich white man's game, doesn't mean everyone should dress up as a traditional preppy white man used to dress.

All of which isn't to say that they're should be some standards. Their should be. But within reason. For a school, preventing obscene t-shirts and underwear showing is fine. Preventing normal teen wear seems excessive. I know some people don't think it's appropriate for teenagers to be wearing skimpier clothing (i.e. like some teens do wear these days). And what is normal teen wear will change with the times (and has changed). It's sort of a circular argument too, as what is normal depends on what people wear. And if enough people wear "inappropriate" garments, then all of a sudden inappropriate clothes become the norm. It's a fuzzy line to be sure.

I just don't think the line should be drawn by schools. And we seem to agree to some extent on that point. Where we differ is what is generally acceptable. In my mind, schools have always been informal in dress policy. Yes, kids are there to learn. However, they're young and this isn't the business world. They should be allowed freedom to express themselves and wear whatever bizarre clothing they want, within reason. In this case, the exact details are vague, so I'm not sure if I'd say what happened to be reasonable. I guess I worry that schools start impose particular moral values on clothing that not everyone shares.
Old 08-27-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about these schools worry less about stuff that is irrelevant and focus more on things that are meaningful: better education.

Spend less time worrying about what clothes the kids are wearing.
Spend more time teaching kids critical thinking skills, better reading comprehension, thinking for themselves, questioning those around them, etc.

I love the priorities.
Old 08-27-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Work camps for the lot of them.
Old 08-27-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just look at Liz Hurley's school girl outfit
Old 08-27-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Souljahh
How about these schools worry less about stuff that is irrelevant and focus more on things that are meaningful: better education.

Spend less time worrying about what clothes the kids are wearing.
Spend more time teaching kids critical thinking skills, better reading comprehension, thinking for themselves, questioning those around them, etc.

I love the priorities.

I don't think you understand how they are intertwined. It is much easier to teach all those things when the kids have their full attention on the teacher rather than on the cleavage of the gal in front of them, etc. It all contributes to the environment.
Old 08-27-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I don't think you understand how they are intertwined. It is much easier to teach all those things when the kids have their full attention on the teacher rather than on the cleavage of the gal in front of them, etc. It all contributes to the environment.
Exactly!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.