Reload this Page >

Dog turns on owner and kills her

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-22-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened in the town where I work. I have never heard of this breed of dog before, but they look evil.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_231164914.html

Injuries To Neck Blamed In Mauling Death
Police Found Dog And Woman Killed In Pool Area
Woman Was Bathing The Dog When Mauling Occurred
911 Tapes Released Monday

Carey Codd
Reporting

(CBS4 News) CORAL SPRINGS A woman that was mauled to death by an exotic dog in a Coral Springs neighborhood Friday afternoon died from what medical examiners say was damage to her jugular vein and trachea.

The 120-pound Perro de Presa Canario that killed 30-year-old Shawna Willey, bit her more than a half dozen times on her arm, back and side, Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper Willey said.

Monday, the 911 calls made to fire rescue were released to the media. In them you hear the calls for help while you hear the dog attacking the victim in the background.

Willey was giving her Presa Canario breed dog a bath in the back yard, as the family was getting ready to leave on vacation. It suddenly attacked, as her daughter ran to a neighbor's house to call for help.

Police who responded to Friday's dog attack shot the animal, named Zino, dead in the family's backyard in The Hills, an upscale area west of University Drive and north of Sample Road.

Capt. Rich Nicorvo, spokesman for the Coral Springs Police Department, said Willey and her boyfriend Lazaro Rivero had two Presa Canarios and a pit bull. Nicorvo said additional information, including whether there has been a history of animal complaints against the couple, will likely be released Monday.

CBS4's Shomari Stone was able to speak to the victim's mother, Mary Johnson, who was visibly distraught over the chain of events. Johnson said her daughter, Shawna Willey, thought of her dogs as her children.

"She told me a couple of weeks ago that one was growling at her and it made her a little nervous, but she thought that because it was still a puppy that she would grow out of it," Mrs. Johnson told CBS4 through tears.

The family had a total of three dogs living in the house. Willey was cited in Hillsborough County several years ago for having dangerous dogs, according to court records.

In 2001 a San Francisco woman was fatally mauled by two 100-pound-plus Presa Canarios outside her apartment.

The investigation continues.
Old 08-22-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

What have I been telling you people.
Old 08-22-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dogs that weigh as much as people are never a good idea
Old 08-22-06, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Now they both are gone, I would pay to see what she will do to the dog in dog heaven. "Where were we on the shower? I'm going to wash you good now."
Old 08-22-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See!!! Cats are good. Dogs are evil. When will you people learn!

Oh yeah, and that this poor lady had to die that way.
Old 08-22-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
dogs that weigh as much as people are never a good idea
I disagree as I have had big dogs before.

This breed seems to have issues just as the article indicates. Also some people are drawn to the more difficult breeds perhaps out of a need to prove people wrong.

A tragedy all around.
Old 08-22-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those dogs remind me of the runaway gargoyle in "Ghostbusters". I'd put a slug in one's brain if it came within a mile of my family.
Old 08-22-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats horrible! I feel so bad for her daughter to have to witness that. I often say there are no bad dogs only bad owners, this doesn't seem to be the case. Oh and By the way... delete this thread so my girlfriend will not see this, as I am slowly tryign to convince her to buy a dog.
Old 08-22-06, 01:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That dog is going to be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for-fucking-EVER!
Old 08-22-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's really scary is, there are LOADS of Presas being bred. If you pick up "Dog Fancy" magazine, there are a bunch of breeders for this particular dog - and even more for pit bulls.
Old 08-22-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I disagree as I have had big dogs before.

This breed seems to have issues just as the article indicates. Also some people are drawn to the more difficult breeds perhaps out of a need to prove people wrong.

A tragedy all around.

Of course it depends on the breed, but in general if you have a little wussy dog (like my lhasa apso) and it goes crazy, you can just smack it.. It can't do much damage. If you have a 100 lb dog go crazy, you can't just stop it.
Old 08-22-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman
That dog is going to be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for-fucking-EVER!

and the post of the week goes to ...... bandoman
Old 08-22-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This made wikipedia already:

# On Friday, August 18, 2006, a 120 lb. Presa Canario fatally mauled a Florida woman, Shawna Willey of Coral Springs. The victim, the dog's owner, was giving the dog a bath when it attacked. Police responding to the emergency felt threatened by the dog and shot and killed it.[3]
Old 08-22-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad it wasn't a bear that got shot.....
Old 08-22-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Of course it depends on the breed, but in general if you have a little wussy dog (like my lhasa apso) and it goes crazy, you can just smack it.. It can't do much damage. If you have a 100 lb dog go crazy, you can't just stop it.
What good is a little wussy dog against an intruder? Yip-yap-yip-yip-yap-punt.

At least my folk's dog is big and sounds like trouble to scare away potential problems. Rhodesian Ridgeback. Luckily, he's a chicken shit, a really big one, but a chicken shit nonetheless. I love that the AKC lists his desirable weight at 85lbs. He weighs around 140lbs and his head comes up to my midsection.
Old 08-22-06, 02:05 PM

This is the same breed of dog that killed a woman in a apartment building a few years ago.. I can't find the story.. there was a real white trashy owner of the dogs and they claimed that it was the womans fault the dogs attacked her.. they are very scary dogs.

My family raised Rottweilers, I can tell you, it's touch and go with any breed of dog..
Old 08-22-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by M2theAX
delete this thread so my girlfriend will not see this, as I am slowly tryign to convince her to buy a dog.
As tragic as a story like this is, it makes no more sense to judge dogs based on this incident as it would to judge humanity because of Jeffrey Dahmer. If anything, this can be a leeson picking the proper breed of dog to match your situation.

ANY dog will bite given certain provocation, but training will lessen the potential. Certain breeds are more likely to bite than others, but again, training is the key.

M2theAX, when you say you're trying to convince your girlfriend to buy a dog, do you mean that you want a dog and want her to accept it, or you want her to have a dog? Assuming the dog will be yours, this could be a wedge issue if she's really against dogs, and if she lives with you could result in the dog getting a lot of mixed messages, creating a nervous dog. As a dog lover, I want to do what I can to ensure that the placement of a dog is the correct one that will last for the rest of the dog's life. Too many dogs are sent to shelters when things "don't work out how we wanted". Just my two cents.
Old 08-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would never get a dog that I couldn't overpower should it decide to turn on me. Only small to medium dogs for me. As for protection against an intruder, that's what a gun is for, not your pet.
Old 08-22-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
ANY dog will bite given certain provocation,
I wish someone would tell that to the idiotic bitch in the video who's talking about how nice her Presa Canarios are, while her daughter tries to ride one like a little horse in the background. Seems like that's just begging for the kid to accidently hurt or scare the dog into tearing her face off.
Old 08-22-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I would never get a dog that I couldn't overpower should it decide to turn on me. Only small to medium dogs for me. As for protection against an intruder, that's what a gun is for, not your pet.
Unless you are constantly standing guard over your home, you must ask the burglar to wait while you get your gun, remove your trigger lock, load it and return.

I'll take the companionship of a dog any day especially since many watch dogs are specifically bred for the purpose of guarding. I used to have an Alaskan Malamute that was a beautiful and sweet dog who could scare strangers by just looking at them.
Old 08-22-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I wish someone would tell that to the idiotic bitch in the video who's talking about how nice her Presa Canarios are, while her daughter tries to ride one like a little horse in the background. Seems like that's just begging for the kid to accidently hurt or scare the dog into tearing her face off.
Good call, many people do not have the slightest idea how to include a dog in their family.
Old 08-22-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster

M2theAX, when you say you're trying to convince your girlfriend to buy a dog, do you mean that you want a dog and want her to accept it, or you want her to have a dog? Assuming the dog will be yours, this could be a wedge issue if she's really against dogs, and if she lives with you could result in the dog getting a lot of mixed messages, creating a nervous dog. As a dog lover, I want to do what I can to ensure that the placement of a dog is the correct one that will last for the rest of the dog's life. Too many dogs are sent to shelters when things "don't work out how we wanted". Just my two cents.
I love dogs, I was born with a lab/german shep. mix lived 16 years. Uncommon I believe? Anyway I have always loved them. My girlfriend is terrified of larger dogs, and does not like when they lick people esp faces. Her father recently got a cockerpaniel (sp?) she doesn't live with him but is SLOWLY taking a liking, she has mixed feelings about dogs. I believe her main concern is sanitation as well. It is also decided that I would take 100% care of the dog, walking cleaning up after it etc.... She did say she would enjoy the dog to go running with however. Thats the story
Old 08-22-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
nah...i'm sure "Nitro" is a perfectly sweet and harmless animal!
Old 08-22-06, 02:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Old 08-22-06, 02:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Presa type guard and catch dogs are mentioned in historical documents of the 16th and 17th centuries. It is believed that the Perro de Presa Canario was created during the 18th century for the purpose of dog fighting, a tradition the English settlers transplanted along with their of Mastiff and Bulldog breeds. Canary Islanders consider these fights "honor fights" and not the sole purpose of the animal. They were used as guard dogs, and less often as farm dogs. Presa type dogs were referred to as the "perro de la tierra" or "dog of the land."
So they are dog fighting dogs.

Capt. Rich Nicorvo, spokesman for the Coral Springs Police Department, said Willey and her boyfriend Lazaro Rivero had two Presa Canarios and a pit bull. Nicorvo said additional information, including whether there has been a history of animal complaints against the couple, will likely be released Monday.
This douche bag is either raising them to fight or just look like a hard ass with his homies. I'm sure this girl just took care of them. They should charge him with manslaughter if he raised these dogs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.