Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss/Lifting Weights

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

25 days ago I started a 'diet' of sorts. I decided I was going to cut out the junk from my daily eating completely, and gave up my diet soda for water. I was, and did, plan on following my new intake plan for two weeks, then start adding weight lifting and exercising. I'm not killing myself with the lifting and excercising, but I plan on losing a good deal of weight, and want to tone as I lose.

My question is: Do I gain more benefit from exercising/lifting when I do it before work (5:00 a.m.), before or after dinner (around 5:00 p.m.), or before bed (around 11-12:00). Over the 11 day span that I have been lifting, I have done it at all of the times listed above (not all times every day, just once a day). I would like to get on a real schedule, but I want to optimize the time. Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Lifting isn't as big a deal, but you should always do cardio in the mornings.
Old 08-16-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

My question is: Do I gain more benefit from exercising/lifting when I do it before work (5:00 a.m.), before or after dinner (around 5:00 p.m.), or before bed (around 11-12:00).
Another vote for A.M. cardio-- the issue, really, is to aerobic workouts on an empty stomach (more free fatty acids will be burned this way). The best way to work out on an empty stomach is by doing so in the A.M., before anything else.

I prefer doing weights in the A.M. for a few reasons-- do it so you're fresh in the morning, not bogged down after a day of work (if you've had a tough day, are you really going to want to hit the weights at night?). Also, working out at night can get you so pumped that you might not be able to fall asleep at your usual hour.
Old 08-16-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I prefer doing weights in the A.M. for a few reasons-- do it so you're fresh in the morning, not bogged down after a day of work (if you've had a tough day, are you really going to want to hit the weights at night?). Also, working out at night can get you so pumped that you might not be able to fall asleep at your usual hour.
This is actually why I posted this today. Last night I lifted around 11:00, took a shower, and laid in bed until around 1:00a.m.. I felt really good, I just couldn't couldn't fall asleep, but at the same time, I was wondering if sleeping after lifting was a good way to let the muscles 'rest'. I'm all over the place with times that I lift and have to get a steady schedule down. Thanks guys, I'm going to give the a.m. a steady shot.

S2
Old 08-16-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been doing something similar for the last three weeks or so Steve. Unfourtunetly I work from 4am to 5:15pm Monday through Thursday so it can be tough to lift after work and impossible to do before work. I plan to add some cardio when I move into an apartment complex with a fitness room at the end of the month but again because I leave for work so early I won't be able to do it before work.

So how have your results been? I'm 6-2 and started off at 250lbs. I've lost 10 pounds so far and can see the gain in muscle.
Old 08-16-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 6' 6" & weighed 302. I weighed 286 this morning, and with the 11 days of lifting so far, I can definitely see some definition in my arms & chest.
Old 08-16-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good stuff. I propose we keep this up for a few months and then fight to the death.
Old 08-16-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I personally don't think it matters. Many bodybuilders will work out in the morning since they have day jobs.

I personally prefer to exercise after work even though the army made me do it in the morning for 8 years. I eat lunch around 12 and exercise around 6pm a few days a week. By the end of the day my muscles are stretched and warm a lot more than when I first get out of bed.

back in the army we used to run 5-6 miles on a weekly basis with the climax being running up this hill.

this is only around 1/2 of the trip uphill that you can see

for the rest of that day and the road march mornings you would feel worn down the whole day. if you had exercised in the evening, you would eat and go to sleep to rest. only reason we exercised in the morning was to avoid the traffic

Last edited by al_bundy; 08-16-06 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the other reasons it's a better idea to do cardio in the AM if possible is that it gets your metabolism revved up into high gear and keeps it there for the rest of the day which helps to optimize your fuel burning efficiency.

Michael
Old 08-16-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

good stuff posted so far. I liked to lift weights after work that way I could load up on protein after and recover while sleeping instead, but if I lifted too late, I couldnt sleep either.

keep up the good work, and dont be upset if the weight loss slows down.. look at body fat instead. as you get in better shape with the weights, the lbs may not drop as quick, but the results in the mirror should continue!
Old 08-16-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read a study a few years ago (forget where) that indicated there's little to no difference between exercising in the morning or in the evening.

I think the important thing is to do what works best for you. When do you have the best opportunity to workout and when do you have the most energy? It's important to minimize any chance of putting off the exercise. For some people working out in the evening increases the odds of them shrugging it off because they're tired from work, while others don't have the commitment to get out of their comfortable bed early in the morning to exercise. Personally I prefer the evenings because I have little will-power in the morning.

In any case, regardless of when, the key is that you're exercising.

Congrats on the results so far. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-17-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I read a study a few years ago (forget where) that indicated there's little to no difference between exercising in the morning or in the evening.
This is what the majority of research shows, but when talking about nutrition, health, being fit, etc. there is a ton of research to support anyone's claim. Do what works best for you, thats the most important thing.
Old 08-17-06, 09:29 AM

remember that you still need to eat or take in a PWO (post workout) shake after lifting weights. whether it be a real meal or a whey protein shake, feeding your body is necessary.

btw, stay away from diet sodas and anything with aspartame

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=sweet+poison
Old 08-17-06, 11:24 AM

If you had to choose one, I would think that in the early evening is best. The issue with lifting early in the morning is that you won't have as much strength to maximize your efforts since you will be famished from having just woken up.

On the flip side, lifting late at night means that you will only be able to get one meal in before hitting the sack and getting plenty of protein is an essential complement to lifting weights. By lifting in the evening you will be able to get in a post-workout protein shake and a high-protein dinner before going to sleep.
Old 08-17-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, nothing in any of this is set in stone...There is just as much scientific evidence out there that shows you donít need to consume protein right after you workout/lift weights. Prevailing research shows that muscle is efficiently burning and using protein 24-48 hours after lifting weights. Total diet is what is important, not necessarily what you eat immediately following a workout.
Old 08-17-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i haven't read too much recent stuff, but in the past I read that you should also eat a lot of the good carbs after a workout to replenish your muscles' energy
Old 08-17-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the research I have seen has suggested joints are stiffest in the morning, and muscles are weaker in the morning. As the day moves along, muscles get more flexible. I have often heard 4-10pm is the optimum time to lift weights.

I would say 5pm for your schedule.
Old 08-17-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replies! I lifted late again last night because I had to be at work at 4:00 AM today and a 2:30 workout seemed rough. I did, however, have trouble falling asleep again last night (up until 1:00am). I'm going to lift tomorrow morning to see how I feel throughout the morning & afternoon. The early evening time seems rough because when I get home from work, my 4 & 6 year old sons attack me with things to do, but I do like the fact of eating AFTER I lift weights. I guess it's going to be an ongoing experiment.
Old 08-17-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know for me personally, I see the best effects between 5-8pm...But I do try to do a few AM workouts here and there just for the benefit of changing it up. I also do 2-a-day training as well, where I have a short workout in the AM and another one in the PM. Variety is a good thing and is a great way of trying different techniques. Also, look into getting some Kettlebell work in. Its hard to find, but once you start working with them, you will never want to go without.