Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Vegas Trip Report

Old 07-13-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vegas Trip Report

recently got back from Vegas and played a few sessions of poker:

First up was the 1 PM NLHE tourny at the Aladdin on Sunday. Decent structure (well, at leasy typical): 1500 chips, blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 15 minutes. $60 buy-in, and you can re-enter for full price in the first hour. 70 entries, and I end up taking 6th (cashing out for $205). Would have done better: with pocket Js in the BB, raised All-in, and got rivered by A6s with a made flush. Would have taken the chip lead with 5 to go, but was eliminated instead.

Monday evening played in the WORST. TOURNY. STRUCTURE. EVER. At the Luxor, you start with 450 in chips, and the blinds are already 15/25. It's a lottery, and there were only 15 of us (for good reason). Never again.

Played the $1/3 NL $100 min/$200 max at Excalibur. I liked this poker room going back to my trip from last year (helped no doubt by winning $500+ there). No wait at all, and had at least 2 NL tables going at the time. ended up +$70 for the night after about 2 hours.

Tuesday I got up and played in the South Coast NLHE tourny in the morning. Being 5 miles south of the strip, it was nothing but locals. Got some cards early, including busting pocket As on a check raise with a flopped set of 8s. Had a nice stack to the first break, but was card dead for a long time when the blinds started going up. Stayed patient, made a few pushes, and found myself in the final 3 (out of 55). $37 buy-in, and the top 4 pay. We played a few orbits with the final 3, but had already been there for nearly 3.5 hours, so decided to split the winnings (first was only marginally higher than 2nd), and we each chased out for $460.

Stopped by the Wynn Tuesday afternoon, but didn't move up on the waiting list much the 45 minutes there, so headed back to the Aladdin. $1/2 NL with $50 min/$200 max buy-in. Bought in for $100, and lost half my stack the first hand after turning the nut flush, only to have a guy hit a one-out straight flush on the river. Spent the rest of the session getting it back, and ended up $1 up after a few hours

Ended the trip playing in the 2 AM NLHE tourny at the Aladdin and took 12th out of 70 (no money) when I had my A4o AI bested by a calling AKo when I had $10k in chips and blinds were at 1000/2000.
Old 07-13-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by djbrown
Monday evening played in the WORST. TOURNY. STRUCTURE. EVER. At the Luxor, you start with 450 in chips, and the blinds are already 15/25. It's a lottery, and there were only 15 of us (for good reason). Never again.
More people need to see this. By far, the worst tournament structure. It started out as limit, right?
Old 07-13-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
More people need to see this. By far, the worst tournament structure. It started out as limit, right?
actually, it didn't. Buddy (who was bitching about the structure and still won ) mentioned it at another table and was immediately asked "That's the one that starts as limit, right" so it apparently was in the not-too distant past.

But how you can start a NLHE tourney with a "M" of 10 is beyond me.
Old 07-13-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have home games filled with players that can barely tell a diamond from a heart and even they know that that tournament setup sucks ass.

Then again, Luxor doesn't take poker seriously and neither do the players that play there.
Old 07-14-06, 02:25 PM

Good review dj,

I'll be at the Alladin for 6 days in late august, was the waiting list long before you had a seat in the ring games???

Also, any other place you recommend for tournaments???

I don't intend to pay a lot more than 100$ per tourney.

Thanks for the info.

Soup.
Old 07-14-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoupNazi
Good review dj,

I'll be at the Alladin for 6 days in late august, was the waiting list long before you had a seat in the ring games???

Also, any other place you recommend for tournaments???

I don't intend to pay a lot more than 100$ per tourney.

Thanks for the info.

Soup.
The wait at the Alladin was probably about 20-25 minutes to join in one of the NLHE ring games. They opened a 2nd table up once the wait list got to be 5-6 long.

The morning tourney at the Excalibur (9 AM I believe) is supposed to be decent, but I decided to try the 10 AM one at South Coast since I was staying there and it would save me a trip to the strip. I'm glad I did

The tourney format the Alladin was typical though in terms of starting chips/blinds ratio. The one at Bellagio is much better (40 minute blinds, etc..) but the buy-in is $300.

The South Coast was a freezeout (which I prefer); the Alladin one allowed re-buys.