Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Advice wanted: Vacation to Seattle & Vancouver in Aug?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-07-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would like to travel to visit Seattle and Vancouver in mid August. Is this a good/bad idea? I have never been to either before. We were planning to fly into Seattle and somehow get to Vancouver (by bus?). Is it recommended that we rent a car while in Seattle? I don't know about driving with a US license while in Vanc. Is public transport good in either city?
Old 07-07-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

go to New York instead
Old 07-07-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know anything about Seattle or Vancouver, but it's no problem to drive in Canada with an American license. Just make sure to tell the rental company you're driving into Canada.
Old 07-07-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've drove from Port Townsend, WA to Victorille and Vancouver with American license, no problem. And yes, talk to your rental car agency before you go there (I used Dollar rental this time..).
Old 07-07-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Public transit in Vancouver isn't that great. If you're just going to stay in the city then you should be ok, but if you're planning on going outside of the city center, then rent a car.
Old 07-07-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bus system in Seattle is fine if you plan on staying around downtown (which is where all the touristy-type stuff is, anyway). Going to Vancouver by car is about a three-hour drive--a bus, ferry, or train will take longer. You should be fine by bus in Vancouver (its system is about like Seattle's). Really, you don't have to worry about renting a car unless you plan on going hiking or camping or something, and you're probably better off not driving downtown, since Seattle drivers are among the worst on the planet and it's a pretty difficult city to navigate.
Old 07-07-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
... you're probably better off not driving downtown, since Seattle drivers are among the worst on the planet and it's a pretty difficult city to navigate.
Their drivers are nothing comparing to southern California.
Old 07-07-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

whistler!
Old 07-07-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Their drivers are nothing comparing to southern California.
Seattle drivers are bad in a different way. They all go about ten miles under the speed limit if the road is wide-open in front of them and panic at the slightest drop of rain--which is pretty sad considering how often it rains here. If there's a curve, no matter how gradual, they slow way, WAY down for it.

Stuff like that.
Old 07-07-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have visited WA couple times, their driving aren't that bad (I think Ohio drivers are the worst). I'm sure Aphex Twin can manage it.
Old 07-07-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know we'll need a passport to travel to/from canada soon, but I don't think it's for a couple years. Make sure you check on this though.

If you're worried about it, you could go to Vancouver, WA instead of Vancouver BC. That would be stupid though.

You might look into a boat to Vancouver... I've never done it but hear it's fantastic.
Old 07-07-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I know we'll need a passport to travel to/from canada soon, but I don't think it's for a couple years. Make sure you check on this though.

If you're worried about it, you could go to Vancouver, WA instead of Vancouver BC. That would be stupid though.

You might look into a boat to Vancouver... I've never done it but hear it's fantastic.
I've taken a ferry to Vancouver, BC before and it is fantastic. Saw lots of killer whales and other sea critters. But don't do it if you get sea sick, the waters there were very choppy when we went.
Old 07-07-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably it was Kitty that driving badly in WA.

*McHawkson runs*
Old 07-08-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the helpful info. I tried looking up ferries from Seattle to Vancouver, but got mostly a lot of ad sites. Does anyone have a link to the preferred ferry from Seattle to Vancouver?
Old 07-08-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably it was Kitty that driving badly in WA.

*McHawkson runs*

*trips McHawkson and pants him then runs away laughing*
Old 07-08-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Thanks for all the helpful info. I tried looking up ferries from Seattle to Vancouver, but got mostly a lot of ad sites. Does anyone have a link to the preferred ferry from Seattle to Vancouver?
There's no Seattle to Vancouver ferry, I would recommend you drive to Port Angeles (in WA) and take ferry to Victoria then drive north to Sidney and take ferry to Vancouver.

If you're willing to drive almost 3 hours drive, then you can drive from Seattle to Vancouver.

Last edited by McHawkson; 07-08-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

seattle beer is pretty good

there is even a restaraunt whose name i can't remember where they have beer recommendations for every dish
Old 07-19-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no Seattle to Vancouver ferry, I would recommend you drive to Port Angeles (in WA) and take ferry to Victoria then drive north to Sidney and take ferry to Vancouver.

If you're willing to drive almost 3 hours drive, then you can drive from Seattle to Vancouver.
Wow...so there is no ferry that goes directly to Vancouver from Seattle? If I take the ferry to Victoria can I just walk to the ferry that takes you to Vancouver? Then, how do I get to the touristy area of Vancouver?

Also, does anyone have any hotel recommendations for Seattle?
Old 07-19-06, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Wow...so there is no ferry that goes directly to Vancouver from Seattle? If I take the ferry to Victoria can I just walk to the ferry that takes you to Vancouver? Then, how do I get to the touristy area of Vancouver?

The ferry from Victoria drops you off in Tsawwassen which is roughly a 45 minute drive to downtown Vancouver in ideal traffic conditions. Taking transit will take roughly an hour and a half.

Once you're downtown it's quite easy to get around by either walking, bus or skytrain.
Old 07-19-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i heard they sell coffee in seattle.
Old 07-19-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigMike88
The ferry from Victoria drops you off in Tsawwassen which is roughly a 45 minute drive to downtown Vancouver in ideal traffic conditions. Taking transit will take roughly an hour and a half.

Once you're downtown it's quite easy to get around by either walking, bus or skytrain.
I remember taking ferry from Victoria to Vancouver, the ferry is HUGE!!

I cannot recommend any hotel in Seattle because I have relatives living in Port Townsend.
Old 07-20-06, 12:34 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you come to vancouver, avoid the east side of downtown
Old 07-20-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can go to the sports bar and hear people complain about selling off our basketball that nobody really cared about anyway. Seattle, Sea at Hell, see you in hell. No not that bad. I would try to come during Sea Fair weekend. See the blue birds fly and the planes skim the water.
Old 07-20-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amtrak has a popular route between Seattle and Vancouver.

If you want to take a ferry, try this site: www.victoriaclipper.com. , although I think they mainly are a Seattle-Victoria route (a side trip to Victoria wouldn't be a bad idea).There are a lot of ferries in the Puget Sound region, but no state-owned ones between Vancouver and Seattle.

No need to get rent a car to explore Seattle or Vancouver, the bus and your feet will get you to most places you want to go.