Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Getting a passport question

Old 07-04-06, 02:07 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 142
Getting a passport question

So I was born with 1 last name, but my mom remairied when I was 8 and I took that name. EVERYTHING is in my new last name (drivers license, social security card, tax returns), but since my birth certificate says my first last name, someone told me I have to file a legal name change to be able to get a passport. My mom never filed anything when she remarried, since she claims my bio-dad was a dickhead. Anyone know for sure? I tried looking around www.state.gov (state department website that lists passport info), but I couldnt find anything about that.
Adken is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 02:10 AM
X's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,728
I don't think any of us knows for sure whether your bio-dad was a dickhead.
X is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,233
I doubt that the State Department would have that information as well.
drmoze is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Psi's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,289
Originally Posted by X
I don't think any of us knows for sure whether your bio-dad was a dickhead.
So helpful, these otters.
Psi is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
I think you'll need to call to explain the situation to the State department. Odd that they got a social security number in the new name. Something seems a little strange there.
Bushdog is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,624
I think they are required to issue it in the name on your birth certificate unless you show a court ordered name change. Although it isn't quite the same thing, that is what happens when you get married. You can't get a passport in your married name until the marriage license is filed with the court after the ceremony.

Maybe there is some kind of "common law" type of exception since you have been legally using the other name for so long, but I don't think you are going to get the answer for that here. Contact the State department and see what they can tell you.
beavismom is offline  
Old 07-04-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Posts: 14,804
I agree - this is one of those technicality questions you need to ask so they can give you the wrong answer.
Seeker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.