Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Study: US mothers deserve $134,121 in salary

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Who does the writer apparently think should be the payer of this salary?
The parents of the child.
5.08%
The government.
1.69%
The magical salary fairy.
77.97%
Other.
15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-06, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

May 3, 5:07 AM (ET)

By Ellen Wulfhorst

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A full-time stay-at-home mother would earn $134,121 a year if paid for all her work, an amount similar to a top U.S. ad executive, a marketing director or a judge, according to a study released on Wednesday.

A mother who works outside the home would earn an extra $85,876 annually on top of her actual wages for the work she does at home, according to the study by Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts Salary.com.

To reach the projected pay figures, the survey calculated the earning power of the 10 jobs respondents said most closely comprise a mother's role -- housekeeper, day-care teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, chief executive and psychologist.

"You can't put a dollar value on it. It's worth a lot more," said Kristen Krauss, 35, as she hurriedly packed her four children, all aged under 8, into a minivan in New York while searching frantically for her keys. "Just look at me."

Employed mothers reported spending on average 44 hours a week at their outside job and 49.8 hours at their home job, while the stay-at-home mother worked 91.6 hours a week, it showed.

An estimated 5.6 million women in the United States are stay-at-home mothers with children under age 15, according to the most recent U.S. Census Bureau data.

NOT 'JUST A MOM'

"It's good to acknowledge the job that's being done, and that it's not that these women are settling for 'just a mom,"' said Bill Coleman, senior vice president of compensation at Salary.com. "They are actually doing an awful lot."

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, some 26 million women with children under age 18 work in the nation's paid labor force.

Both employed and stay-at-home mothers said the lowest-paying job of housekeeper was their most common role, with employed mothers working 7.2 hours a week as housekeeper and stay-at-home mothers working 22.1 hours in that role.

"Every husband I've ever spoken to said, 'I'm keeping my job. You keep yours.' It's a tough one," said Gillian Forrest, 39, a stay-at-home mother of 22-month-old Alex in New York. "I don't know if you could put a dollar amount on it but it would be nice to get something."

To compile its study, Salary.com surveyed about 400 mothers online over the last two months.

Salary.com offers a Web site (http://www.mom.salary.com) where mothers can calculate what they could be paid, based on how many children they have, where they live and other factors. The site will produce a printable document that looks like a paycheck, Coleman said.

"It's obviously not negotiable," he said.

On average, the mother who works outside the house earns a base pay of $62,798 for a 40-hour at-home work week and $23,078 in overtime; a stay-at-home mother earned a base pay of $45,697 and $88,424 in overtime, it said.

In a Salary.com study conducted last year, stay-at-home mothers earned $131,471. The potential earnings of mothers who work outside the home was not calculated in the previous study.
Old 05-03-06, 12:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about a GOOD mother is worth more than that but a deadbeat/abusive mother is worth nothing.

I see a lot of teens becoming mothers in order to get some of that compensation!
Old 05-03-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK your poll reminds me of the reading comprehension questions on the SAT.
Old 05-03-06, 12:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts
What about fathers in homes where both parents work? Isn't their contribution worth something?
Old 05-03-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should be the compensation for US Study-doers?
Old 05-03-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by criptik28
OK your poll reminds me of the reading comprehension questions on the SAT.
"Reading comprehension" is not the phrase that leaps to mind when I see the poll question and available reponses.
Old 05-03-06, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandoman
What about fathers in homes where both parents work? Isn't their contribution worth something?

You mean like carpenter, auto mechanic, chef, etc.?

No way! Those jobs are worthless!
Old 05-03-06, 12:49 PM
Admin

Received 366 Likes on 234 Posts
Thank God there was an other choice in the poll.
Old 05-03-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I don't think we should pay for this!
Old 05-03-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

grundle, seriously this isn't a political issue. You can't turn everything into, "OMG! Someone wants handouts!!!!!"

The writer is just saying that if moms were to get paid, that's how much they would be deserving in pay. Your poll is nuts, and this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a long time.
Old 05-03-06, 12:58 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I don't think we should pay for this!

I was thinking more along the lines of "other" as in, this poll is silly, they're just trying to praise the stay at home mom, but maybe the government should look into paying them with tax dollars.
Old 05-03-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdodd
"Reading comprehension" is not the phrase that leaps to mind when I see the poll question and available reponses.
It is when the poll question is asking you to critically evaluate what you think the author is saying.

"Based on this passage, what is the author saying about government?"

"Based on this reading, what would be a likely title for this essay?"

Etc.
Old 05-03-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I answered the Magical Salary Fairy, because the author of this paper is a member of the press and therefore a Demi-Crat that wants us to all live off welfare and do nothing all day but pay mothers.

This guy makes me sick.
Old 05-03-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Leykis should be entertaining today. For years, he's pointed out the flaws in these bullshit articles.
Old 05-03-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To reach the projected pay figures, the survey calculated the earning power of the 10 jobs respondents said most closely comprise a mother's role -- housekeeper, day-care teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, chief executive and psychologist.

what's a computer operator?

the chief executive and psychologist probably skewed the salary
Old 05-03-06, 01:10 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
grundle, seriously this isn't a political issue. You can't turn everything into, "OMG! Someone wants handouts!!!!!"

The writer is just saying that if moms were to get paid, that's how much they would be deserving in pay. Your poll is nuts, and this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen in a long time.
I disagree. In my experience, most women have children as an act of political protest. They are making a statement about the exploitation of women by creating a situation where they are, themselves, exploited. It's all very, very post-modern.
Old 05-03-06, 01:12 PM
Suspended

Received 537 Likes on 254 Posts
The salary would depend on how well the mother does her job.

Some women are born to be homemakers. They're great with children, and can keep a house neat, make terrific meals, and really are an asset to their families.

Other women are content to live in pigsty conditions, defrost rather than cook, and their kids either pester or terrorize the entire neighborhood for want of supervision.
Old 05-03-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I disagree. In my experience, most women have children as an act of political protest. They are making a statement about the exploitation of women by creating a situation where they are, themselves, exploited. It's all very, very post-modern.
Whoa man, I see it now. I was interpretting the act of childbirth through the perception of a classical narrative style rather than Feminist, Marxist or Neo-Marxist viewpoints.
Old 05-03-06, 01:20 PM
Admin

Whoa man, I see it now. I was interpretting the act of childbirth through the perception of a classical narrative style rather than Feminist, Marxist or Neo-Marxist viewpoints.
You two are too much. Take this bit on the road.
Old 05-03-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just think it's a ripoff that smoking mothers get to take 5 or 10 minute hypothetical breaks every hour yet make the same amount of hypothetical pay than their hypothetical non-smoking counterparts.
Old 05-03-06, 01:25 PM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Always glad to help.
Old 05-03-06, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VinVega
I'm not God.

I may be better than all the other people who post here. But I'm not God.
Old 05-03-06, 03:49 PM
Banned

I didn't put this in the political forum.

The writer is making an error in logic. In the real world, all of the professional services that the writer is talking about are paid for by the people who receive those services. So the parents would be paying themselves. The writer doesn't seem to understand that.
Old 05-03-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Parents are providing a service to society when they raise a child well, so everyone in society would be the imaginary employer who would be cutting the checks.
Old 05-03-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle
I didn't put this in the political forum.

The writer is making an error in logic. In the real world, all of the professional services that the writer is talking about are paid for by the people who receive those services. So the parents would be paying themselves. The writer doesn't seem to understand that.
You are really misreading what the article is saying.

The same article comes out every year. It has for as far back as I can remember. The only thing the article says... is that *IF* the average mother was doing all these jobs AS A JOB, and not as a parent, that's how much they'd make a year. Really. That's it. Nothing more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.