Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So..... What's the going rate for teen's allowance these days???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So..... What's the going rate for teen's allowance these days???

Old 03-20-06, 04:04 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So..... What's the going rate for teen's allowance these days???

Don't wanna do this as a poll, as there are many variables...

Is it affected by grades/chores? Is this basically all their spending money, or do they routinely/occasionally ask for "date money"? Do you take care of the car/insurance/gas?

At what point do you say... "Out of money? Get a job."
Old 03-20-06, 04:09 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same as mine was, $0

tell the kid to get a job
Old 03-20-06, 04:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,859
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some friends that give each of their kids $20 a week and they are ages 13 and 11, which I think is crazy.

We stopped giving our kids allowance a couple years ago because they had no appreciation for it. Now they do their chores and earn points towards activities or minutes on their cell phone or things like that.

I think you could calculate it out depending on the chores and age. I used to pay based on the chore, but also on the age. For instance, I have two kids that are 2 years apart in age. One of them would get $1 more for the same chore. Does that make sense?

When I was a teen I'd get money for gas and money for going out with friends/dates if I asked. No allowance. I did have to work though. I don't plan on making my teens get jobs because I think they should focus on being kids and getting good grades in school. They'll ever have the chance to go back to change that, yet they will have to work for the rest of their lives.

It's a tough call because there are so many other things to consider since each kid is so different.
Old 03-20-06, 04:13 PM
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,598
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that they should get their age per week, once they are 8-16. After that, they need to do extra stuff, get a job for more $$$
Old 03-20-06, 04:49 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 3,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Get a fucking job you little freeloading bastard. How's this for an allowance: you ask me for money one more time, you'll be allowing my foot up your ass."

I was seven years old and all I wanted was a few ninja turtle action figures, you asshole!

-JP
Old 03-20-06, 04:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I got an allowance once I turned 14, I just got a job. I think jobs can help teens, but it really depends on the type of job. Some jobs interfere with school, others aid to your learning. I'd suggest at least one summer of hard, manual labor for everyone though, just to put things in perspective.
Old 03-20-06, 05:03 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,635
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents bought me school clothes once a year and put lunch meat in the fridge. anything else I paid for with a job.
Old 03-20-06, 05:08 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a kid I started off getting .25 a week in Kindergarten and ended up with $10 a week as a Junior in High School ('94). Once I got a decent paying job, I'm pretty sure the allowance stopped.

My sister is a senior in highschool now and gets $20 a week, almost all of which goes back to my parents to repay her cellphone debts and other miscellany.

Some of her friends get $50-100 a week. Of course these are the same friends whose parents buy them new Explorers as a present for their 16th birthdays.
Old 03-20-06, 05:11 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids need to learn about money and trade early on - this is the purpose of allowance because really, kids shouldn't need money. I don't like allowance because they come to expect it for nothing. It becomes a negative reinforcement bargaining chip for parents - do the dishes or I'll take away your allowance.

Money should be more of a positive reinforcement tool. If they do the dishes they get a dollar - if they do other chores they get some dough - and it can all be given at the end of the week so it turns out like allowance. That way, they have to earn it rather than just try not to fuck up and lose it. I also suggest bonuses for personal achievements like good grades.

To help teach them the value of money - whatever money they earn, give them half and stick half in a bank account for them and give them a register so they can monitor how much money they've saved. This is good because they can spend it on some big toy they really really want or else they'll simply have a nice nest egg to help buy a car or move out or something when they are older.
Old 03-20-06, 05:11 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never got an allowance as a kid. I'm not sure what I would do since I'm not a parent yet.
Old 03-20-06, 05:16 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I remember an allowance. If I had one, certainly was nominal and certainly ended in my teen years.
Old 03-20-06, 05:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,859
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
Kids need to learn about money and trade early on - this is the purpose of allowance because really, kids shouldn't need money. I don't like allowance because they come to expect it for nothing. It becomes a negative reinforcement bargaining chip for parents - do the dishes or I'll take away your allowance.

Money should be more of a positive reinforcement tool. If they do the dishes they get a dollar - if they do other chores they get some dough - and it can all be given at the end of the week so it turns out like allowance. That way, they have to earn it rather than just try not to fuck up and lose it. I also suggest bonuses for personal achievements like good grades.

To help teach them the value of money - whatever money they earn, give them half and stick half in a bank account for them and give them a register so they can monitor how much money they've saved. This is good because they can spend it on some big toy they really really want or else they'll simply have a nice nest egg to help buy a car or move out or something when they are older.
Great advice. Now shush!



Old 03-20-06, 05:41 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,002
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got $20 a week from the time I was about 12 until I graduated high school but my parents also didn't buy me much beyond the essentials from that point forward. I got food and a basic supply of clothes but everything extra I was on my own for. That included luxuries like video games and more important things like gas money and date money. If I wanted extra snacks or something different for dinner beyond what was on the family menu for the day I was on my own for those items as well.
Old 03-20-06, 05:44 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have kids, so anything I say take with a grain of salt, but I once was a kid and I think this worked well with me:

Kids should have a chore schedule. Anytime they OFFER to go above and beyond that chore schedule, they should earn a set amount, which should be known to them ahead of time on a detailed list that they help plan. Things like having a relatively clean room (i.e., no plates under the bed) should be expected. They should be free to negotiate better payment options if they want, so long as they can provide a compelling argument.

Except on special occasions (birthdays, Christmas, maybe prom), teens should never get money for doing nothing. Allowances with no expectation of responsibilities attached to the money means they will grow up with no concept of the value of money and no ability to manage it later in life. However, they should be completely free to decide what they want to do with the money that they earn; it's theirs. That means if they want the latest game system, they need to sacrifice and save up for awhile.

At 15 or 16 (whatever age is legal in your area), they should get a part-time job near home so they can pay for their (used) car.
Old 03-20-06, 05:50 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,002
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll add that while I did have chores, my allowance was in no way tied into my doing them. The allowance was essentially "free" money. If I have kids I imagine I will handle it much the same way it was handled for me.
Old 03-20-06, 06:01 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Downtown LA
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i was in high school, my junior and senior years, I got about $80-$100 a week. I know that sounds like a lot, but that money was used for 1) gas money, 2) lunch for me 3) dinner for me and my bro 3 times a week. Working wasn't a real option because my schedule was so erratic and I had to pic my bro up from stuff all the time.


Oh yah, and no, my family is far from wealthy. I just had a lot on my plate and my parents were always busy.
Old 03-20-06, 06:38 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with the chore schedule. That is more like a job. You get this allowance for doing these things that help us out (the flip side is that you live in my house and you are expected to do these things because you are a part of the family). I never had an allowance, but when I needed money, there were always windows to wash, cars to wash, etc., so it worked basically the same.

I sure wouldn't give them an allowance just for being alive, though.
Old 03-20-06, 06:47 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 8 year old does chores and certain behavor type things and gets $3 a week with the option for an extra dollar for helping out with his brother. No chores, no money.
Old 03-20-06, 07:00 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
My 8 year old does chores and certain behavor type things and gets $3 a week with the option for an extra dollar for helping out with his brother. No chores, no money.
Yeah, but they get free fudge and stuff.....which I'd consider a nice fringe benefit.

-p
Old 03-20-06, 07:04 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Kittydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,611
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
Yeah, but they get free fudge and stuff.....which I'd consider a nice fringe benefit.

-p
Old 03-20-06, 07:14 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I'll add that while I did have chores, my allowance was in no way tied into my doing them. The allowance was essentially "free" money. If I have kids I imagine I will handle it much the same way it was handled for me.
That's how it was for us, too. We did chores because we were a member of the family and were expected to pitch in. They weren't optional. Our allowence was just a few bucks (I'm old ) and it's purpose was to get us to think about the value of money and not expect mom to buy us toys and candy and stuff whenever we wanted. We had to learn to budget and save and make decisions about money. We could sometimes earn extra cash by doing extra work around the house, if there was any.
Old 03-20-06, 07:14 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never got an allowance, but I also didn't do any chores.

I worked from the junior year of high school on. My parents, even now, have always supported me when I was low on funds or needed a hand paying for car insurance or something.

Getting a job is hugely important, both for time management and for applying for college if they're interested in that. I worked a Part Time job making $7.75/hour and worked about 36 hours a week, even during the school year. My job did restrict me from doing a lot of things, and I ended up leaving school groups etc.

As far as my car went:
My parents put the down payment down as a present for me, and paid 1/2 of my car insurance yearly (it was nearly $4k/year in MA for car insurance when I first could drive). So I paid about $250/month in car insurance... about $200/month in car payments, and about $40/month in gas. Considering I was making about $200/week, it was almost 3 weeks of paychecks dealing with my car a month. The rest generally went to food and DVDs.
Old 03-20-06, 07:15 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe today's currency is in handjobs.
Old 03-20-06, 07:22 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I believe today's currency is in handjobs.
I think these are stepkids, so we'll get to see Joe on Jerry Springer. This is freaking awesome.
Old 03-20-06, 07:23 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Keizer, OR
Posts: 1,020
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I never got an allowance, but I also didn't do any chores.

I worked from the junior year of high school on. My parents, even now, have always supported me when I was low on funds or needed a hand paying for car insurance or something.

Getting a job is hugely important, both for time management and for applying for college if they're interested in that. I worked a Part Time job making $7.75/hour and worked about 36 hours a week...
No allowance for me, got my first job the summer before my sophomore year, I was 13. $3.35/hr. I only worked summers and that was always cut short by football practice, but whatever I made had to last throughout the year.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.