Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have I Been Scammed On EBay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-15-06, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely post personal threads, but here's my story.

I've been eyeing the Canon Powershot S2 for about a month now. It has gotten great reviews on all of the websites that I have researched. But I decided to wait and see if the price would be going down ($499 list, $380 on Ebay).

Well they just announced the S3 to be released in May and sure enough the prices started to go down. Well I saw this EBay auction for the S2 for $345.00 shipped (free shipping). The person has a 100% positive feedback on 341 feedbacks. Most of the things they have sold were brand new camera's including my own. All the feedbacks said great price and fast shipping.

So on March 10th I bit the bullet and purchased one at $345 and PayPal'd immediately. I got a e-mail saying that it had shipped out and I waited patiently this week for it to come.

Well it came today shipped by Amazon. But here's the kicker, the invoice is in there and it shows the camera costing $376.94 + $13.45 for shipping and handling for a total of $390.39.

Immediately sirens went off in my head. Why would they be selling this camera at a $45 loss (plus all of the others in my auction)? I see the billing address of the person that paid for this camera and it is not the same name of the person that I PayPal'd the money to.

So I immediately e-mailed the EBay seller and asked them what was going on and that this smelled of a scam.

I got this e-mail a couple of minutes ago:

hello.we have account with amazon. the invoice that is
inside is the standart invoice that amazon send to
customers. the billing info is our billing info.the
price you see is the original price of the
camera.shows you how much you save by buying from
us.you only paid what you paid and not any more.check
you pay pal account.all the cameras I sold and you can
see I sold quite few of them had same invoices.dont
worry there is no problems with your.thanks

I e-mailed back immediately and said I wasn't worried that I was charged more than the $345.00 thru PayPal because that is what I had agreed upon and that is what came out of my checking account. But I told them (and have yet to hear from them) that I was concerned that they would be taking a loss selling this to me (brand new from Amazon) and I didn't want the person whose credit card was being charge to have no knowledge of this and lose out on the money.

What do you guys and girls think? Have you heard of this happening before and is it legit?

Thanx Chris
Old 03-15-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uhm, possible that they paid with GCs + referral bonus + their Amazon CC to make it profitable for them?
Old 03-15-06, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Uhm, possible that they paid with GCs + referral bonus + their Amazon CC to make it profitable for them?
But I have the impression from their e-mail that their previous auctions were done the same way and as I said, most of their feedbacks were from sales of camera's (hundreds of dollars each).

Chris
Old 03-15-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have a way to work the Amazon system?

I would still try to pursue the issue with eBay or paypal, but it isn't a "gimme" that this is a scam.

Also, do Amazon employees get a discount?
Old 03-15-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

its $341 from beach camera...why even bother with ebay? i never understood why people buy stuff from ebay for a few dollars less or in your case a few dollars more than from a trusted online buisiness.

pricegrabber.com is your friend.

also for anyone who cares beachcamera.com is great...i ordered 2 palm tx's ($256 each) from them and with the free shipping i got them 3 days later.
Old 03-15-06, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
its $341 from beach camera...why even bother with ebay? i never understood why people buy stuff from ebay for a few dollars less or in your case a few dollars more than from a trusted online buisiness.

pricegrabber.com is your friend.

also for anyone who cares beachcamera.com is great...i ordered 2 palm tx's ($256 each) from them and with the free shipping i got them 3 days later.
It wasn't $341 when I ordered last week. Believe me, pricegrabber.com is my friend!

Chris
Old 03-15-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
It wasn't $341 when I ordered last week. Believe me, pricegrabber.com is my friend!

Chris
pricegrabber is a godsend...i save so much money each yr at tax refund time aka my gadget shop-o-thon!

how are are you liking the s2 so far? i was going to buy one then the s3 was announced so i decided to wait.
Old 03-16-06, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by chino77
pricegrabber is a godsend...i save so much money each yr at tax refund time aka my gadget shop-o-thon!

how are are you liking the s2 so far? i was going to buy one then the s3 was announced so i decided to wait.
Well it was only delivered this afternoon and now I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if this transaction is legit or not. So I'm not going to open it up just yet!

Chris
Old 03-16-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Send a kind note to the billing address on the Amazon invoice. If it ends up with these folks, they'll probably ignore it. If it ends up with someone who is getting ripped off, you'll win your Jr. Detective badge. Be aware, though, that even though the camera was bought in good faith by you, if it's actually stolen you might have to give it up (and will lose the money).
Old 03-16-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Send a kind note to the billing address on the Amazon invoice. If it ends up with these folks, they'll probably ignore it. If it ends up with someone who is getting ripped off, you'll win your Jr. Detective badge. Be aware, though, that even though the camera was bought in good faith by you, if it's actually stolen you might have to give it up (and will lose the money).

It's probably a good idea to send out a form letter explaning the situation to Amazon, eBay, and the billing address. And technically, you weren't scammed.
Old 03-16-06, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Well, I paid thru PayPal, so I should be able to recover the money.

An update this morning. The person answered my last e-mail late last night and explained the situation this way:

Hi Chris,

I definitely understand your concern. Let me try to explain. We don't loose any money. Our company has arrangements to participate in buying consumer electronics with big online retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy, etc. We prepay over 10,000 cameras each month for retail sales. The deal is that we cannot wholesale the cameras not to hurt other wholesalers. That is why we cannot sell more than one per customer. The Amazon ships it for us and there system is setup that nobody can print invoice for smaller amount then there list price. The credit card name listed in “sold to” part of invoice is our buyer. The name is real and not just somebody who lost the credit card and we found it and bought the camera for you. Lets think, the poor guy gets the bill, calls his CC company and disputes the charge. His bank contacts Amazon and they will find that camera went to Chris. Chris will tell them that he got it from ebay from xxxxx. This can be traced in 1-2 days. Sounds about right. One thing. I started to sell cameras about 8 months ago with only 12 pcs per month, now I do about 140-150 cameras a month. According to you I would be in prison by now. But I am still here selling strong. If you check my feedbacks you will find words about cameras 4, 5, 6 months ago.
Possible I do every thing correct and we dont steal anything.
I hope I answered on your question and now you understand

Enjoy your new camera .

Thank you for the purchase

xxxxx'd out their name to protect the possible innocent! So at this point I am satisfied with their explanation and will open the camera tonight and try it out.

Chris
Old 03-16-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. Seems ot work for me.

-p
Old 03-16-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They need to work on their grammar, but I can see what they are saying.

Hope you like the camera.
Old 03-16-06, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They need to work on their grammar, but I can see what they are saying.

Hope you like the camera.
I have a feeling that English is not their first language.

Chris
Old 03-16-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm just impressed they took the time to write that much. They must have been getting a headache trying to think of each word.

Glad it worked out for ya.
Old 03-16-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still sounds fishy.. But have fun with your camera anyways..
Old 03-16-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One time I bought something, and they just paid less (Same actually) and had it shipped for free to me. Their profit was the shipping, minus the ebay fees. No biggie to me. It was for protein powder that I order every couple of months, so the next time I just ordered direct from the same that the seller ordered from.

This must be how those spam emails that say to make money on ebay work...

more power to them.