Reload this Page >

Figuring out Hotel Costs

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Figuring out Hotel Costs

Old 02-10-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figuring out Hotel Costs

I am starting to make hotel arrangements for this years Dragon*Con. I have a roommate list of 6 people. The thing is, is that two of us are staying 3 nights, 2 of us (might) only be staying 2 nights, and the other two might not go. What I am trying to do is to get some sort of mathmatical formula so that all I have to do is plug in how many people stayed how many nights so that everyone only has to pay for the nights they stay. Thanks.
Old 02-10-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one person pays, than divide the total price by nights stayed and depending on who stays each night divide up the per night cost by the number of people

I would also warn against having more people in a hotel room than you tell the hotel about. Some hotels will charge you extra or kick the extra people out.
Old 02-10-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, Dragon*Con is a HUGE convention (we broke 20,000 people last year). So I don't think the hotel will be checking. Even if they do, they can't prove they are staying there.
Old 02-10-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Night 1 = cost of room / people staying in room
Night 2 = cost of room / people staying in room
Night 3 = cost of room / people staying in room

Is there more to it?
Old 02-10-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I'd tell people to either commit or find their own place. This is the exact reason I hate going anywhere with more than 2 couples. But to answer your question The Bus has it. Just take the cost of each night and divide by the number of people there.
Old 02-10-06, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I would also include in the calculations beforehand the tip that you'll be leaving for the hotel help. That is, if you guys are going to be leaving a tip...
Old 02-10-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Personally I'd tell people to either commit or find their own place.
Exactly.

You might want to go as far as getting them to either pay up ahead of time or put up a sizable deposit. It might keep those from flaking out on ya. It sucks to set up a budget for a Con and have flaky people shoot holes through it.

This summer, for the first time, I'm getting a room during Comic-Con for 2 of the 4.5 days. I'll be right across the street at the Hilton. Woohoo!
Old 02-12-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ya, last year I had 6 people lined up, and 3 of them backed out. It was ok though cause the hotel gave away our room by accident so we had to get a smaller room.