Reload this Page >

What are your jobs?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What are your jobs?

Old 02-09-06, 12:38 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your jobs?

I see a lot of you guys and your amazing collections and I wounder where you get the money to spend on this? Are you guys all filthy rich or something? I am a 15 year old in HS, so I don't got much money at all to spend on DVD's. I am very intrigued to see what jobs you guys have where you can afford to buy 1000 dvd's.
Old 02-09-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can answer for a few people. It's the job of the moderators to move threads to their correct forums.

-JP
Old 02-09-06, 12:40 AM

I'm a 16 year old in college, I teach chess at a few schools around town and get around $15-20 an hour. And since I don't really have to pay a lot of living expenses half or more of that money goes to dvds...
Old 02-09-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before this thread is moved I'll just say that personally I save money where I can so I can put it toward my DVD collection. I work in a restaurant so I eat for free and that saves me a good bit of cash. I rarely drink, don't smoke anymore and I don't go out much so I am able to spend a great deal more on movies.

When I was your age I was a big VHS collector and I was cheap with everything so I could buy my movies. I wasn't given an allowance then and I was so busy with school activities that I didn't have time to work much.

In other words I always find a way to pay for my movies.
Old 02-09-06, 01:10 AM

I'm a billionaire tycooooon!!
Old 02-09-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going from the various responses I've seen over the years, a great deal of posters seem to have so many DVDs, not necessarily because they've got great jobs, but because they spend their money on little else. I've been like that through stretches, but now I try to distribute the funds a little more evenly.

I'm trying to teach myself that just because I have the money doesn't mean I need to spend it. It got sort of old having only a few real expenses, but constantly be worrying about not having enough in checking because of DVDs.

I still buy the necessities and figure I'll treat myself to a CH account or two in a few weeks when my backlog is more managable and the bank account's fatter.
Old 02-09-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am a 15 year old in HS,
Dude....slow down. No offense, but to people my age...yer still in diapers. I had nothing then either.

Wait till ya grow up! It's so much fun!

BTW...I own a moving company and bust my ass. I deserve everything I get.
Old 02-09-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say I'm raking it in or anything - but being single and frugal with what I have definitely helps. I do art/design for games and some freelance.
Old 02-09-06, 01:49 AM
Banned

I'm an entreprenuer, dabbling in small business via eBay. Namely higher end, after-market car electronics. On the side, I work at Hollywood Video which is more or less for the free rentals and extra scratch to fund the collection. I'm also a pawn shop whore, because I like getting stuff on the cheap.
Old 02-09-06, 01:52 AM

well, I have many jobs. When I am not stunt doubling for Keanu Reeves, I am a field agent at Counter Terrorist Unit. I also drive race cars.
Old 02-09-06, 01:57 AM

My collections says what job Im at and that is .... Heck what is the relationship of Job in a DVD thread? Get this kid who started this thread with some candies
Old 02-09-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In amassing my collection I have been a college student working the for the school paper and as a lab tech, a temp for Dell, a vaccum cleaner saleman, a business card designer, a newspaper designer, a business card designer, a target lead, and a truck stop cashier. The last being my current offical job. I am also working on starting a construction company with my brother. Once it gets warm, that will be my occupation. By the way, at none of these jobs did I ever make any substantial income. As others have said, I don't smoke, I drink in moderation, and I basically aside from my NHL partial season ticket do not spend much on going out.
Old 02-09-06, 03:36 AM

I sell used books on Half.com, and random crap on eBay. I hit thrift stores 3 times a week and buy junk, and sell it. I have a web enabled phone, so I research the items I sell before I buy them. I do pretty well with it. I'm also a videographer, and I do press kits and music videos.
Old 02-09-06, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I sell drugs.
Old 02-09-06, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in a bank.
Old 02-09-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My job's not all that great but for a while pretty much every cent I was spending was going towards my dvd collection. I've toned it down tremendously these last few months in order to save up towards a new car.
Old 02-09-06, 06:57 AM

I work as a sales rep. for Frito Lay. I make pretty good money. Don't have a ton of bills and used to spend my money religiously on DVD's. I don't have as huge of a collection as so many on the board, I'm currently at around 700, but I love what I have. I've kind of toned down my buying though and started moving my money around to other areas of interest namely finishing up the gameroom in my new house and searching for a relatively decent pool table that is affordable
Old 02-09-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a secret to help getting a large collection: Columbia House
Old 02-09-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have a g/f at the moment... this frees up several billion dollars.
Old 02-09-06, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Comedyman90
I see a lot of you guys and your amazing collections and I wounder where you get the money to spend on this? Are you guys all filthy rich or something? I am a 15 year old in HS, so I don't got much money at all to spend on DVD's. I am very intrigued to see what jobs you guys have where you can afford to buy 1000 dvd's.

I've got clothes older than you. I think the other common thing you'll find among those w/ the 1000+ collection is that they bought in early. In the early days they were practically giving away DVDs to help the format take off and even though the cost has gone up the habit continues... such is the price of addiction

Mod note: Since this doesn't really relate directly to DVDs it is more appropriate for the Other Forum. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of other threads similar to it in the archive there but I'm too laz... busy to look it up right now.
Old 02-09-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
I've got clothes older than you. I think the other common thing you'll find among those w/ the 1000+ collection is that they bought in early. In the early days they were practically giving away DVDs to help the format take off and even though the cost has gone up the habit continues... such is the price of addiction
Bingo. Probably 60% of my collection is from 98-99. If you paid more than $5-$8 for ANY DVD you got screwed.

I'm a frugal person as well. Unlike friends & coworkers I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. All those habits take lost of money that could be going towards tangible products like DVDs.

Based on the two facts above, job isn't relevant as I've never made much more than right above the poverty salary. It's how you spend your money not how much of it.
Old 02-09-06, 08:46 AM
Suspended

POST DELETED BY MODERATOR.

-note- discussion of this type of activity is not permitted at DVD Talk.

And that's how I got all my DVD's.

last edited by The Loan Shark: 02-09-06 at 06:53 A.M.

Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-09-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-09-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm serving three concurrent life sentences. I buy DVDs with my pay from stamping license plates.
Old 02-09-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started early (Jan 1998), paced myself, and never stopped. Commission Analyst/Auditor for a telecommunications company.
Old 02-09-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Comedyman90
I don't got much

Welcome to DVDTalk

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.