Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Question re: car CD players with removeable faceplates.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-08-06, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but there doesn't appear to be a better forum for "car audio" questions, so here it goes.

Some jackass broke into my wife's car last night and stole the faceplate to her Pioneer car stereo. They didn't take the whole stereo, just the faceplate. They also left her sunglasses and her CDs. They only took the faceplate. Maybe somebody was coming and they had to quickly leave. Who knows? Anyway, we want to figure out the easiest and most inexpensive way to fix this problem. Obviously, the cheapest way would probably be buying a replacement faceplate, but we don't even know if this is possible. Is it? Or, are the faceplates somehow linked into a paired player.

Stated differently, if we could find the exact same model on eBay, could we just buy a replacement stereo and simply pop the new faceplate on the old stereo without having to fully install the new stereo?

Any idea if this is possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I sold/installed car audio for a long time. You're better off just buying a new radio. Manufacturers make getting just a face plate a huge hassle and expensive to keep people from stealing the radios without them and ordering one. We had quite a few customers come in asking the same thing as you. Each time we tried to call the manufacturer for them we either got a no or a price in the hundreds.

If you could fine the exact same make/model, yes the face plates would be interchangable.
Old 02-08-06, 06:24 PM

So, manufacturers charge a lot for faceplates to prevent thieves from obtaining them? Makes no sense to punish legitimate customers in the process. We still have the invoice and installation receipt from Al & Ed's Autosound. We could easily prove to Pioneer that we bought the stereo. In your experience, would that help at all? I guess it's the same price regardless of proof of prior purchase. I guess we have to just buy a new stereo. What a waste of time and money.
Old 02-08-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think having a proof of purchase would help. It's been about 5 years since I've been in the car audio business so things may have changed but I don't think it would be worth it. I'd still try, but I would go in expecting a good deal. Pioneer was always a good company to deal with in my experience so you may luck out.
Old 02-08-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How'd they break in?

BTW, you're likely SOL. You're better off buying a new stereo (no time like the present to upgrade) and getting a $6/month rider on your car insurance to cover stereos and CDs.
Old 02-08-06, 06:54 PM

Find the same stereo on eBay, and ask the seller if he'll lower the shipping cost and ship just the faceplate if you win the auction. Then he can sell the stereo faceless to the guy who stole your wife's faceplate for a couple bucks!

If it's the same exact model number it'll work on yours, they don't make them with weird copper DNA matching contacts.
Old 02-08-06, 06:56 PM

Check ebay. I had a similar, but completely different model pioneer receiver than my neighbor, and our faceplates were compatible.

Mine was a Pioneer, and his was a Pioneer "Premier" line. His stereo also had an additional preout that worked with both faceplates.
Old 02-08-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know for Kenwood, there's a voucher in the box to buy a new faceplate should you lose or break your original. I'd guess Pioneer does something similar.

Check with your home owner's insurance. I know that's covered me before when my CD player was stolen from the car.
Old 02-09-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ebay. If you wait a few days, there's a good chance you can bid on your own faceplate.