Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Drunk driving + killing 2 people (and almost a 3rd) = ? An epilogue...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-01-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

...to this: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=sarshar

The answer = 18 fucking months in county jail.

Today was sentencing for the man who killed my father (and almost my mother) and our close friend of the family in a drunk driving accident. A plea agreement had been made a few weeks ago and the guilty plea was entered.

The defendant, heretofore referred to as 'lucky asshole,' entered the courtroom with a cast on his left arm and a claim that he had lost almost all use of the arm. After hearing from this lucky asshole's priest who essentially described him as a saint, and a blubbering father who apologized for the job he did a father, we then got to hear about his athletic accomplishments in high school and college, including an invitation to be on the US Junior Ryder Cup team at the age of 16. Why this fucking matters, I haven't a clue. His lawyer essentially begged the judge to have mercy on the lucky asshole with a lowball sentence and to send him to county jail rather than the state pen. Then lucky asshole makes a short final statement weeping and apologizing for what he did.

So Judge Dugan starts going into how this is the most difficult case he's ever had assigned because you have 2 pillars of the community killed by the someone who had never done anything wrong before. The judge used words such as 'stupid' and 'irresponsible' to describe the lucky asshole's actions.

Then comes the sentencing. It begins with the 1st count (1st vehicular manslaughter count) - 18 months with 5 years probation. He goes into the laundry list of what probation entails (no drinking, AA meetings, going to a MADD lecture, spending a day in Shock Trauma, etc). Then he says, "is there anything else?" Um gee, Judge Douchebag, how about the 2nd count of vehicular manslaughter, as the prosecutor then points out. Then these crushing words, "Everything the same - CONCURRENT."

With that one word, my sister and I just stormed out of the courtroom. I couldn't believe it - not just the low sentence, but how matter of factly it was done, and how cluelessly Judge Douchebag behaved.

I was prepared for what, to most, would already seem like a low sentence. I really thought that he would say 'consecutive' rather than 'concurrent.' The plea agreement was 6 months to 4 years - so Judge Douchebag could go anywhere between this. The key was the 18 month threshold - one day more than 18 months and you go to state pen. County jail is essentially daycare. I could have dealt with as low as 2 years - a year for each death - is that asking a lot? Apparently. And note, parole is almost a given, so if lucky asshole serves more than 1 year, I would be very surprised.

So the lesson we can all take out of this is do whatever the fuck you want in this country. Go out, get plowed, and then plow some people over. There are few consequences for your terrible mistakes in judgment, so why worry, particularly if you haven't broken the law before?

It is frustrating because in a situation like this, character should not matter. You make a gross mistake in judgement that results in death, the number of letters you earned in HS sports or whether lived a good moral Catholic life should be irrelavent.

I've always trumpeted the merits of personal responsibility - for the political otters, I'm sure you've seen me talk about it many times. I learned it from my father. I really don't see what the point is of doing so anymore.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

To end this on a good note, since the accident, my mother has essentially made a complete recovery, both mentally and physically. Considering when she was 1st brought to the hospital, she was given a 10% chance of survival, it makes me marvel at her spirit and determination. It makes me truly cherish having her in my life.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-01-06 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crappy sentence, but glad to hear your Mom is doing better. The part that gets me is five years probation. This guy killed two people. He should be on probation for the rest of his life, or at the very least for a couple of decades. If he's really a good guy who made a single terrible mistake, he should have no trouble keeping his nose clean from now on.
Old 02-01-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great news about your Mom. That's the part I'm going to lead with.

As for the sentence -- galling. There are dead people due to his stupid and unforgivable actions. Hardly feels like justice.
Old 02-01-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sorry to hear RD....unfortunately all too common.

good thing someone else was probably sentenced to life the same day for a 3rd drug offense. nah, our priorities are just fine
Old 02-01-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is sad that so many people die on the roads every year and many of those cases were related to alcohol. The sentencing sounds typical for a case like that. Wish there were tougher laws on drunk drivers, especially for insurance companies to be more harsh on bad/drunk drivers.

Many repeat drunk drivers still manage to get their license back and still drive, their auto insurance may drop them but they still can switch to another carrier but pay high costs though some still manage to afford it and it goes on.
Old 02-01-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Absolutely insane that a crime of this nature doesn't have a stiffer sentence. People who choose to drive after they've been drinking and cause the death of another should be held as accountable as someone who chooses to shoot another person.
Old 02-01-06, 05:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

That's fucking awful about his sentence. He should be severely beaten with a golf club - I'm not joking.

Glad to hear about your mom though.
Old 02-01-06, 05:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Glad your mom is OK. Sucks about the sentence.

In Missouri, 1st time drunk drivers don't get their liscence suspended but if someone drives away from the pump without paying, it's an automatic 6 month suspension.
Old 02-01-06, 05:32 PM

Man, I'm really sorry about all this. I know from your posts how much your father meant to you, and what a great person he much have been. This really, really sucks.
Old 02-01-06, 05:43 PM

Glad to hear your mother is doing well Red Dog. My continued good thoughts in this trying time.
Old 02-01-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm sure the good he'll do with the rest of his life, especially on the golf course, will more than make up for all the good your father would have done with the rest of his life. Perhaps he'll think back to it a few years from now as he's putting on the 18th hole? "18... 18... why does that sound familiar? Oh yeah, that's the sentence I got for killing two people."

It's a fucking joke. Too bad he wasn't carrying pot at the time, or he would have been put away for several years.
Old 02-01-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow - that's a shame. The discrepancy of sentencing consistently amazes (e.g., non-violent drug offenders getting 20 years in prison, killers getting 18 months) - even though we don't often share political views, I'm sure you'd agree there. Anyway - I'm sorry to hear it.

As far as justice - have you considered suing the shit out of him and at least bankrupting this asshole? Being in the law, I'm sure you have. It won't add to his sentence - but it may at least cause him some inconvenience.
Old 02-01-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. Sue him in civil court.
Old 02-01-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangerory
As far as justice - have you considered suing the shit out of him and at least bankrupting this asshole? Being in the law, I'm sure you have. It won't add to his sentence - but it may at least cause him some inconvenience.

Certainly. We're in the interrogatory phase now. However, think about what assets you had when you were 23 and right out of college. It is almost a certainty that this asshole is judgment-proof.
Old 02-01-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could you garnish future wages?
Old 02-01-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear RD. This is one of the reason I'm heavily involved in MADD. The sentences for CVH and CVO are way to low. Reason?

People, including judges, still look at this as an "accident". There is no such thing. Its a crash. And crashes like this can be prevented.

If you were out in your yard waving a gun around and it went off and killed someone you'd get charged with manslaughter, most likely, because you were doing something inherently dangerous...just like drunk driving.....doing something inherently dangerous.
At least thats the way I look at it. I won't rest until the sentences for CVH is equal to at least the manslaughter sentences.
Old 02-01-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so very sorry for you and your family. I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing better at least.
Old 02-01-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Christ, that's horrible...I'm very sorry to hear that.
Old 02-01-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm at a loss for words Red Dog.

Good to hear that mother's doing well.
Old 02-01-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how anyone can take our legal system seriously after things like this happen.
Very sorry for your loss.
Old 02-01-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First - I'm very happy to hear that your mom has made such a wonderful recovery. Here is to her continued health for many years to come.

Let me add to the cacophany of pissed-off Otters in regards to the sentencing that lucky motherfucker received. I can't believe that they had the gall to trot in their parish priest so he could tell the court about how good a Catholic that bastard supposedly is. And who the fuck cares about his athletic accomplishments. How far back into your head did your eyes roll?

Sue the hell out him just to inconvenience him and his family for as long as possible - so they never forget his horrible lapse in judgement.

Yes, Sir, our judicial system is one gigantic crock of shit.
Old 02-01-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the point of bringing people in to testify how 'saintly' a defendant is...
EDIT: nevermind..dont want to start any arguing in this thread. Basically I don't see why that should be allowed if victims' statements are frowned upon as well.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 02-01-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sorry to hear that. You're a very strong person. If that happened to my parents I'm sure I'd kill the guy.
Old 02-02-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very sorry to hear this story. I am very sorry your family lost your dad.

Can I ask how the incident occurred? Did he run a red light?

And yes our judicial system is a complete joke. If our system was not a crock, this piece of shit would get a minimum 15 year sentence.

I don't personally know anyone injured by a drunk driver but this issue has been a real sore spot for me the last few years. I have no tolerance for any dipshit who decides to booze and drive. Just unacceptable.

Last edited by bballing; 02-02-06 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How horrible to have so much anger and pain brought back by this experience. The sentence seems far too minimal. Like so many others, I am glad you had good news to share about your mother. You have my respect and admiration for sharing such personal thoughts and emotions with us.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.