Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Yes, another job interview question.

Old 01-26-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, another job interview question.

So, there is a job I am trying to land with a company I have been trying to get on with for a year or two now. I submitted my application on Tuesday and have not heard anything yet but I am not worried about that. I was talking to a friend who works at said company and she said that the interview was HELL!.

There were 3 consecutive interviews. Two people interviewed her for about an hour, had a 5 minute break, two other people interviewed her for another hour, another short break, and finally two more people interviewed her. She said it was a very grueling process. Now I am terrible at interviews and get really nervous. I was wondering if any otters had experience in these situations.

Mind you, I may be jumping the gun since I have not heard back but I would like to prepare myself just in case.

Also, when companies have a job posting up for 2-3 weeks, do they generally wait until the posting is closed to make call backs or do they make call backs during the posting period.

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant, but the company has outsources a staffing agency to weed out the applicants by intial interviewing and testing. If you pass those, you then get to be interviewed by the actual company doing the hiring.

Last edited by ElementZ; 01-26-06 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-26-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ElementZ
There were 3 consecutive interviews. Two people interviewed her for about an hour, had a 5 minute break, two other people interviewed her for another hour, another short break, and finally two more people interviewed her. She said it was a very grueling process. Now I am terrible at interviews and get really nervous. I was wondering if any otters had experience in these situations.
I had an interview like that for a college internship. It required written tests and a whole lot of other stuff. All that work and the company sucked.

I also had a 3-on-3 interview when I interviewed for Disney. My opening question was "Are you a motivated person?" and I said, "Well... depends on the rewards." I was not called on again. (That was one of my warm-up interviews where I didn't want to get hired anyways).

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Also, when companies have a job posting up for 2-3 weeks, do they generally wait until the posting is closed to make call backs or do they make call backs during the posting period.
Depends on the company, depends on the schedule of the HR person. If a company sees a good candidate, they may jump on her even if it's not policy to begin callbacks, for example.
Old 01-26-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is only one way to get over you being nervous, practise. Get together with friends and do "mock" interviews. Yes, you might think doing it with your friends will be easy, but it won't be as easy as you think and is good experience.

Next, come up with a strategy for answering questions, typically I tying to include in every answer I give:

-my understanding/philosophy of the topic
-a specific example of how I handled that situation
-what was the result (typically you want to give a SUCCESSFUL result)

Example Question: "Tell me about a time when you had to work in a group setting such as on a project"

Answer: Being able to work in a group setting is important as it demonstrates flexibility, adaptability and the willingness to hear/learn from others. I recently was on a project with four others to come up with a new color scheme for widgets. During our initial meeting we set expectations, time tables and goals. The success of our projected was demonstrated by a 23% increase in widget sales after implementing the new color scheme.

Obviously this is not the only way to answer interview questions. But IMHO, you must give specific examples to your answers to demonstrate you have "lived" it. Saying you are a "people" person is worthless. Saying you are a people person and giving three examples of how you managed/lead people for a positive outcome says a lot about your people skills.

Do some homework on the company. Find out their mission statement, and company goals. Try to work these into your answers.

While you may not know what they are going to ask you, but ready with your "slam dunk" answers to such things as:

-Tell me about yourself
-Why do you want this position
-Why are you the best candidate for this position
-Tell me about a weakness
-Tell me about a strength
-Is there anything else you would like to add
-Do you have any questions
Old 01-26-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
There is only one way to get over you being nervous, practise. Get together with friends and do "mock" interviews. Yes, you might think doing it with your friends will be easy, but it won't be as easy as you think and is good experience.
Best advice ever. You would think some of those slam dunk questions would be easy, but it's never a good idea to sit there for ten seconds (an eternity) trying decide what your worst quality is.

I would do a mock interview as close to the interview time as possible. That way, you will be able to regurgitate those answers effortlessly. Treat it like a play with the cues coming at mixed up times. You should have your lines ready at the tip of your tongue.
Old 01-26-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Depending on your school/university or community, you may be able to get free "mock" interviews. Might be worthwhile to join Toastmasters...
Old 01-26-06, 05:38 PM

When I interview new people it's 4 against 1. Very intimidating. Always answer in the most positive way possible, never use negative. That can be difficult if they ask for your weaknesses.
Old 01-26-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trout
When I interview new people it's 4 against 1. Very intimidating. Always answer in the most positive way possible, never use negative. That can be difficult if they ask for your weaknesses.
I did a thread about that last year when I was getting ready for an interview, do a search there were some good answers.

I actually had two recent interviews for a possible promotion and they had an interesting (and I think cleaver) twist on the weakness question. Rather then just ask about a weakness they asked something like:

"Since no one is perfect, tell me about a time when you made a mistake. How did you handle the situation, what did you do about it and what was the outcome".

I believe this was an "accountability" question wanting to see if I would take ownership of problem. At least that is how I answered it - using a specific example. I did break the tension a little by saying that "my wife could probably answer that on my behalf better then me".
Old 01-26-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and be ready for the

- where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, etc

- Sell yourself to me, why should I hire you for this position, what is something UNIQUE that YOU bring to the table

Don't talk too little - give them a chance to get to know you a bit
Don't talk too much - god why do they always talk too much?

Be outgoing, but not overbearing
Be precise in your answers, but giving a LITTLE more is always good
Be Friendly, smile, appear to LIKE the interview and people giving it
Confidence is key

I have found the best way to be prepared for interviews is to give them
Old 01-26-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I also had a 3-on-3 interview when I interviewed for Disney.
You got to bring two others with you to the interview? AWESOME!

Did they get to answer questions as well, or were they just along for moral support?
Old 01-26-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I interviewed for a pharmaceutical company on Wednesday after spending 19 hours with my wife in the hospital in labor monday night and all day tuesday. I interviewed with 6 people one on one for an hour each. Now that's grueling.

Practice practice practice. Have an example for how you've demonstrated each skill you list in your resume. Show that you've researched the company and ask very specific questions about the company. Write thank you letters (or emails) ASAP after the interview so they remember you.
Old 01-26-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Show that you've researched the company and ask very specific questions about the company.
It should also be mentioned that turning to the guy conducting the interview and saying, "I bet your're the one who gets hammered at the Christmas Party and karaoke's an obscene version of 'I Touch Myself' to the company president, AREN'T YOU?!?!" is getting a little too specific.
Old 01-26-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
and be ready for the

- where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, etc

- Sell yourself to me, why should I hire you for this position, what is something UNIQUE that YOU bring to the table
I got BOTH of these in my recent interview. I was ready for the 2nd, but not the first. I recovered ok, don't think I hurt myself...too much.
Old 01-27-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emanon
It should also be mentioned that turning to the guy conducting the interview and saying, "I bet your're the one who gets hammered at the Christmas Party and karaoke's an obscene version of 'I Touch Myself' to the company president, AREN'T YOU?!?!" is getting a little too specific.
heh heh. A better example - "I've read that the company is under a new CEO, John Doe. Have you noticed a change in culture since his/her arrival, and has it impacted you in any way?" This of course would only work if the company had in fact got a new CEO, and he was named John Doe.
Old 01-27-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by emanon
You got to bring two others with you to the interview? AWESOME!

Did they get to answer questions as well, or were they just along for moral support?
Three interviewers, three people being interviewed. Sort of an interview cage match. I would've minded if I actually wanted to work for Disney.
Old 01-27-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Realistically, there are only about 10-15 interview questions that everyone asks. ("What are your strengths and weaknesses? Where do you see yourself in five years?" Etc.) Be prepared for those, and for variations on the same themes, and you'll be fine. Two excellent articles from Monster can be found here and here. In fact, their whole interview section is a pretty good read itself.

Originally Posted by Trout
When I interview new people it's 4 against 1. Very intimidating.
Why would you want to intimidate a potential new hire? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you trying to turn up the pressure and see what the candidate is made of? Is that reflective of your actual work environment?
Old 01-27-06, 08:56 AM

Funny, just as I was reading the responses, I received a call from the placement agency and just got finished a quick phone interview. It went pretty well. I am going in for testing on Monday
Old 01-27-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Why would you want to intimidate a potential new hire? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you trying to turn up the pressure and see what the candidate is made of? Is that reflective of your actual work environment?

We do this to save time. *EVERY* potential hire MUST be interviewed by at least 3 people other than the manager he will be working directly for. Many times we will be 3 or 4 on 1 just so the interviewee does not have to answer the same questions 4 times over to different people. Usually the candidate must get past "the other 3" or the "hiring manager" before the second interview happens (order is not important). Save everyone time cutting out dead wood.

I try really hard to set the tone as 'comfortable'. I usually come in wearing jeans and a golf shirt and crack a few jokes and try to lighten up some of the otherwise 'tightass' people that I work with. I don't want a potential employee to think we have a bunch of stuffy boring people that work here (I know we do, but hey there are some fun peaople too) and I also want them to be as comfortable as possible while we are all staring at them

I generally conduct the more technical aspect of the interview and I will even go so far as to ask if say TCP/IP is something the candidate is comfortable asking questions about before I ask them questions. There is no point in making the person suffer or feed me a line of BS if they know nothing on a certain subject. I just keep asking and moving subjects until I find something they know something about (and make mental notes about what subjects they are clueless on)

Last edited by 4KRG; 01-27-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-27-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I generally conduct the more technical aspect of the interview and I will even go so far as to ask if say TCP/IP is something the candidate is comfortable asking questions about before I ask them questions. There is no point in making the person suffer or feed me a line of BS if they know nothing on a certain subject. I just keep asking and moving subjects until I find something they know something about (and make mental notes about what subjects they are clueless on)
I try to interview people this way too, because I had many an interview myself where I didn't really know the subject matter, but they kept hammering away on super detailed questions, although it was clear I didn't know the technology. What's the point of beating down a person, I could never understand it, even if they were interested I wouldn't want to work for a place that handles potential hires like that.
Old 01-27-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
If a company sees a good candidate, they may jump on her
This is the philosophy I use, only not for hiring.
Old 01-27-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interviews suck. I never saw the point of questions like "tell me about a specific time you had......" and then they want an answer in about 2 seconds. I would stay at a job I hated forever if it meant no more interviews .
Old 01-29-06, 05:53 PM

So filling out the application right now and it asks me to list my 10 most recent jobs and the duties, length of employment, etc.

Is it acceptable to list 3 distinct positions with the same company for my last 3 jobs.
Old 01-29-06, 07:19 PM
Banned

I get nervous during interviews pretty much each time.

One place I was applying for I went in for one interview and they could tell I was nervous. It went ok and I got called back in for another interview and from what I understood, it was between some other guy and me.

The difference this time was that I wasn't nervous, they noticed this and hired me at the end of the interview.

What was my secret to not being nervous during the interview(and also during speeches in college)?

A drink called Yoda.

8 oz OJ
4 oz Peach Schnapps
1 oz Vanilla Schnapps
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Triple Sec
1 oz Blue Curacao

It's called Yoda because the blue and the OJ combine to make green. That and it gives you The Force to not be nervous anymore.

The key is to drink enough so you are relaxed but not too relaxed if you know what I mean.